cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who determines connection speed?

N/A

My exchange is 1.13km distance from my house.
Line attenuation is 29db.
SNR margin is 35.

Now according to information found on www.kitz.co.uk, which is accessed from a link on Plusnet's website, these figures all indicate that I should be able to get a 2MB connection. I don't..I get a 1MB connection.

Who determines the connection speed? Is BT only supplying me with a 1meg connection?, or is it Plusnet.

My connection speed never varies it is always 1.1mbps..every connection without fail. Is this because it is set at this speed and can't go any higher?
18 REPLIES
N/A

are you paying for a 1mb connection or 2 ?
N/A

I am paying £21.99 for an up to 2MB Premier account.
N/A

I suggest you raise a ticket
N/A

I may raise a ticket but before I do I would like to know if Plusnet can set my connection speed or is it determined by BT.

I don't really know too much about how the technology works but I am assuming as my connection is constant and never varies then it has been set that way.
I also assume that if my connection was not set then the connection speeds would vary but would connect "up to 2MB" and not top out at 1.1MB.

I may of course have this wrong, can someone explain it to me.
N/A

+N need to tell BT to upgrade your line (if it can take it) to 2mb

how long ago did you order 2mb, as it can take up to 14 days ?

and please remember the words "UP TO"
N/A

are you paying for a 1mb connection or 2 ?

What's the difference? We all either pay the limited plus package £14.99 or the "full" (ALSO LIMITED) premier package £21.99 for the UPTO 2meg!!! Evil

I preferred the old pricing scheme and packages, where everyone paid for a service that they received! Not all pay the same price for different services or services you dont receive!!

By the way... BT decide!
N/A

pop at+net

dont be so angry m8 im trying to help him

if you got a point to make, put it on the correct thread
N/A

sorry mate... i'm not angry at you, or any of the customers.

infact in the past month, i've invited 2 friends along to PlusNET, because i've found them so good and reliable, i wouldn't do this if i thought the service was totally crap.

i just get cheesed off cos i think i'm getting the blunt end of the stick... a raw deal... i pay the same price as everyone else and get only half the service! what really adds salt to the wound is if you've ever had a chance to read my situation... i was upgraded to 1meg with a 43db line attenuation on the same day asthe cut off point rules were changed by BT. if i knew the rules were going to change, i would've forced the regrade 1 day earlier!

do you understand my anger now? Evil
Community Veteran

mcpheators the speed at which you can connect is determined by BT in the first instance.
Having said that the line figures that you are quoting are perfectly good for 2meg.
As suggested you should raise a Link:Contact us ticked to see why you have only got 1meg.
N/A

I am also on 1mb

Here are some lines stats from a rather nasty 2wire homegatway.

this is after me removing the dodgy wired extension sockets.(noise margin for downstream was 8-11db)

DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT
Downstream Rate: 1152 kbps
Upstream Rate: 288 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 30.0 dB (Downstream), 31.0 db (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 29.0 dB (Downstream), 16.0 db (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 13.9 dB (Downstream), 11.4 db (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {TSTC} Specific: }
PVC Info: 0/38

Would this bad wiring shown up on a initial Bt Whoosh test, can i get another woosh test and maybe then get 2mb.

The wonders of buying a old house.

UPDATE:07:38 Tues, Just checked i have had a response to the ticket but + net want to charge a 14.99 regrade fee HuhHuhHuh?

is this right i'm not happy with paying to be regraded as i have only been with +net since saturday.

if when the whoosh test was done with naff result and i was given 1mb as a result, it would have been nice to be told the reason why.

isnt their service upto 2mb Huh? i really begrudge paying more money for a service thats had problems from the off..

Andrew
Community Veteran

From the figures you now quote it looks like your line will certainly support 2meg and it could well be that the dodgy wiring caused the problems that lead to you getting only 1meg.

However to be fair to Plusnet they will now have to pay BT to have an upgrade done so I can understand why they are saying that it will cost you the £14-99.

It may be worth you asking again and see if they can convince BT that the initial provision was wrong.
N/A

I'm new to Plusnet and have found the same problem as described here - connection of 1152 every time I connect. I am also a 2mb Premier customer. A friend of mine is a Pipex customer, on the same exchange as me and has a 2mb account. She also gets the same connection as me each time.

So, why should we both pay for someone (BT? ISP?) to look into this when it so clear its a BT exchange problem.
N/A

Ok. It now seems apparent that BT have provisioned a 1mb connection as their tests indicate that this is the fastest speed my line can accept.
Every other indicator suggests that they have got this wrong and that my line can accept 2mb.
How do I convince them to retest?
N/A

you can ask plusnet to do a manual regrade. i was on 2mb and i moved house, same town same exchange just a few hundred metres further from the exchange. i told plusnet to sort this out as i wasnt happy and they said they would but when all the tickets closed they forgot about it and i was stuck with a 1mb connection.checking on all the line checkers including bt wholesale i could only get 1mb. i had to then pay for the manual regrade and it was i think 2 or 3 weeks before i got it sorted as plusnet kept messing up the regrade and i got it and have been constant ever since. now when i check the bt wholesale and other line checkers to see what i can get it says i can get 2mb easy so from me getting it anyone else in my area can get 2mb. BT are always right so if your line stats say you can get 2mb you most probably can Smiley i just hope customer support has improved since then (only 3 weeks ago though) so you dont have as much trouble as i have. although it looks like your going to get fleeced for the £14.99 as i did also.