cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which ports are traffic managed ?

N/A

Appologies if this has been asked before or documented somewhere, I searched and could not find the answer so I thought I'dd ask...

When the broadband connection is traffic managed, which ports are affected ?

The only references I found said that p2p, usenet and ftp are affected but did not specify the port ranges. As I understand it, p2p apps tend to use a wide range of ports and are hard to lock down.

I'm curious because I use vpn, vnc, ssh, etc. and would like to know if these will be slowed down if I hit traffic management ?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The equipment that performs the traffic shaping doesn't work on ports and as such no ports in particular should be shaped.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

The traffic management doesn't take any notice of which ports are being used. Deep packet inspection is used to determine what the traffic is and what management is to be applied to that packet.

Phil
N/A

ooh, thanks for the quick reply.

I'dd just assumed the traffic shaping was done on a port basis and I'dd not thought that it might be done with deeper packet inspection.

Though this raises another question: I understand that some p2p apps encrypt thier comms, so can the packet inspector tell the difference between normal ssh/vpn usage and these p2p apps ? Surely they will both just look like encrypted comms ?
JonathanW
Grafter

The ellacoya's work using traffic signatures, this is mostly based on deep packet inspection, but it can also take ports into account. Which means that some encrypted p2p traffic can be picked up.

However, as with any system, it isn't 100% accurate, which is why we have to continually monitor the network and if need be tweak some of the traffic signatures that are loaded onto the E30's.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I might be wrong on this, but I think the ellecoya can still tell the difference between the packets from their headers.

Phil
N/A

Thanks for the responses.

It seems the traffic shaping shouldn't effect ssh/vpn stuff but I guess I'll find out if/when I hit my clean traffic maximum.
JonathanW
Grafter

If you're talking about the Clean To traffic management, 20gb on the £21.99 account, then no this shouldn't have any impact on your VPN/SSH access.
N/A

And if you are trying to hide p2p or usenet via this method you are gonna get into a world of being disconnected. :shock:
N/A

tleask: hehe, nope, I'm not trying to do that. I'm just simply checking that my ssh & vpn taffic isn't going to get mis-classified.
N/A

Ahhh, thats okay then Cheesy