cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's the webmail server gone?

peak1
Grafter

I was using the WebMail server and it's suddenly disappeared and I get a "Sorry, we couldn't find the page you were looking for..." error when trying to get to my inbox. There is nothing in Status so what's happened?

Mark
21 REPLIES
peak1
Grafter

It looks like remote access has been disabled:

Unfortunately, we are not currently allowing webmail logins from your location. You may use a service such as mail2web.com to collect your email.

Access is expected to be restored within the next few weeks. We would like to apologise for any inconvience this may cause.

What are the conditions for this being disabled? Are all non-PN IPs being blocked?
Community Veteran

peak1
Grafter

Unfortunately these posts don't explain which IPs are being blocked by webmail now. Is there any information on this?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'd imagine its something temporary which has been applied, while they conduct investigations into what has happened.
gerald
Dabbler

Okay over here - just checked at, oooh, must've been 17:42. New riff-raff filters to keep 'oi polloi out, perhaps?
Community Veteran

I think they are blocking from non-PN IPs i.e. only plusnet IPs are allowed through. I'll see if I can confirm this.
peak1
Grafter

If they are blocking all non PN IPs then it kind of defeats the object of the server. They might as well shut it down.
Community Veteran

As the message states, you can use mail2web for external access if you need to.

They have just limited access to PN customers on their own IP.
Community Veteran

Huh!

I have just been accessing webmail.plus.net from my PC at work which is definately not part of PlusNet.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

We have temporarily limited access to webmail to UK only IP addresses purely as a precaution whilst we continue our investigations.
gerald
Dabbler

Might I suggest that, in future, PlusNet set this simple little test for developers applying to work on security?
link:content
I got 13 out of 14! Cheesy

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Link removed. : Please remember that these forums are used by people of all ages and ensure any links added are 'family friendly'. : link:rules
gofaster
Rising Star

Can anyone help me sign in to mail2web?

It didn't work when I entered my user mailbox email address, so I tried using the advanced login and entered mail.plus.net as the server, username+mailbox as the user name and my mailbox password and this was rejected too.
Or should I be really worried that my password has been stolen?
gerald
Dabbler

Is that better?
link:content

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Link removed. : Please remember that these forums are used by people of all ages and ensure any links added are 'family friendly'. : link:rules
gerald
Dabbler

If only PlusNet was as quick to secure its own network, users' passwords etc as it is to censor entirely innocuous posts. Pathetic.