cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's my speed and what are these extra charges?

N/A

This is the text it says on the non-members section of the website when browsing the products for Premier.

"
Broadband Premier is perfect if you want the best and you want it fast. This is ideal for Internet enthusiasts and families looking to play games, download music and movies and connect more than one PC.
Top quality broadband
Fixed monthly cost with no additional download charges."

There is no mention anywhere of speed caps or restrictions. I moved here from AOL (unlimited bandwidth/no speed caps but rubbish software and spam city) and to be totally frank if Force 9 had been upfront and said my 2 meg speeds would at most times be the same as or lower than my 512 Kb speed I was getting from AOL then I would never ever have used this service. It wasn't until I was a customer and able to access these forums that I became aware of it from other people.

This is bad practice and extremely underhand. I am very very disappointed. Since 16th October I have used only 0.36 gigabytes. I normally surf and check emails and occasionally I will perform a download or two. Your speed caps should be in place only for the heaviest of users. Now, how about mentioning these caps in your product specification? It's only right that others should not be tricked into coming ot this ISP as I was.

I selected the monthly contract so had to pay an additional £11.75 up front. There will be an extra cancellation fee of £47 for me to pay when I leave ( so why the £11.75 up front then if you are going to charge me the activation fee back anyway?) but I have also noticed this " If you also choose to take a modem as part of the offer there will be an additional cancellation fee of £25 in the first year". Now, I did take a modem, well actually a 10 port wireless router as part of the deal but I was charged the price of somewhere around £70 for this. I have paid for the router so why should I have to pay you guys an extra £25 for that router?

Could one of the Force 9 guys please answer this as I am really cheesed off with the fact that I have paid for a speed which I certainly don't get as there is no mention of speed caps anywhere on the product specifications for non-members, that the extra £11.75 I originally paid for a monthly contract seems to be for no reason at all except maybe to convince some people to sign up for an entire year to a not-very-good service then keep them in a contract they don't want to be in for a year and that when I find which ISP I want to move to I have to pay you extra for a router which I was good enough to buy from you rather than go to my local Dixons and pick one up from there even though the router you sent to me had faulty filters and a faulty cable which I had to replace myself. What is going on here?

It was on one of the AOL forums that one of your members told me what a brilliant isp this was. I really could not go around telling people that just so I could get 50p took off my monthly bill for recommending someone else. It would be just so Arthur Daley. "Wanna buy a used car mate? Get inside and check out the super air conditioning. Yes, I know there's no glass in the windows. Can't get no better air conditioning than that geezer."
3 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Where's my speed and what are these extra charges?

It was on one of the AOL forums that one of your members told me what a brilliant isp this was. I really could not go around telling people that just so I could get 50p took off my monthly bill for recommending someone else. It would be just so Arthur Daley. "Wanna buy a used car mate? Get inside and check out the super air conditioning. Yes, I know there's no glass in the windows. Can't get no better air conditioning than that geezer."

To be fair to that geezer, not so long ago F9 was one of the best ISPs. The changes are very recent, and F9 are not making themselves look good.

As to your complaints about losing your money, I'm sure an ISP is covered by the Sale Of Goods act the same as anywhere else, and what you are sold must be:

1. As described.
2. Of 'merchantable quality'
3. Suitable for the purpose for which it was sold.

If the service you were sold breaches any of these conditions, then they are obliged to refund all your money plus any expenses incurred. (That is unless things have changed since I was in that line of work).
N/A

hi mark,

you are correct regarding the SOGA, but think about it F9 must know something or two to get around this situation.

The reason I say this is that they are still advertising the products incorrectly, ie premier is still described as being the best for heavy internet users, people who want high speeds, etc, etc. But that is currently not the situation, they have brought in various caps and throttles without making it obviuous to new and existing users, unless you can read the forums.

The trouble is the SUP is not actually covered by any form of contract, ie its not in the official T&C's, and nor is some of the actual charges for leaving. So I'm not sure how they can be fully enforced, and where they stand if they try to make someone pay when leave.

we have already got some threads going asking f9 to ensure the new SUP, Migration fees (joining/leaving), throttling information is displayed on the sign-up pages and also within the T&C's.

Until they do that then yes, they are in breach of trading standards by advertising a product for sale incorrectly.

regards
mike
N/A

Hi,

I have a feeling that Mike is quite right, SUP, soft caps, throttling,fee's for using a MAC code for leaving,etc. All of these things are a grey area and again I think he's right how can they be enforced? & they must be included clearly within the T&C. Potential new customers should be able to view information about ALL these features & fee's quite clearly up front before jioning PlusNet F9. Customers it could be argued cannot make a fully informed choice unless this information is freely available.

Ivan