cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go from here ?

talacrush
Dabbler

I switched to 8Mb a few months ago and since then my internet performance has plummeted. At least when I was on the 2 Mb service thats more or les what I got.

Now I get such awful response times; below 1Mb, sometimes slower than dial up then suddenly briefly it swings up to 3Mb before plumetting again. This last week has driven me to the forum because I just dont know what to do anymore.

I've done all the speed tests and I'm told everything is fine and that its contention. But I live in a small village with few users and at 3am in the morning I dont see how it can be contention. Besides which lets not forget I used to get a decent 2Mb before 'upgrading'.

Page refreshes this past week have been dreadful with half-images loading and full pages just refusing to load completely. I've tried different PCs too so its not the PC.

So, my questions are:

1. What can I do now?
2. Can I be moved back to my original 2Mb service which was reliable and fast?

Just as a final comment. Does anyone know anyone anywhere that actually gets 8Mb? It seems to me this is a marketing ploy which simply does not deliver. It is misleading in the extreme and to market it as 'up to 8Mb' is just cynical. I never expected to get 8Mb, but i certainly expected to get maybe 6 and when you end up getting less than you were originally getting with the 2Mb service that's tantamount to deception.

Thanks for letting me rant.
17 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Have you run the BT Speedtest?

If so, what is the IP Profile and IP Throughput giving you? This should give an indication as to whether the problem is profile, contention or PlusNet related.
talacrush
Dabbler

Hi,

Here's what I got back in December for 3 tests:

10/12/06 @ 14:45

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2225 kbps

10/12/06 @ 23:46

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1010 kbps

12/12/06 @ 01:18

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 644 kbps

Could you also tell me what IP Profile and IP Throughput is please. Thanks.
James
Grafter

The IP Throughput is the speed you are getting across the BT Exchange (although I'm getting clarification on this from BT).

The tests you have run show wildly fluctuating speeds from the BT side of the network, which is pointing toward exchange contention.
talacrush
Dabbler

... and the IP Profile is ?

Back to my original questions then:

1. What can I do now?
2. Can I be moved back to my original 2Mb service which was reliable and fast?

What confuses me is, if it is contention, how did I get a stable 2Mb before I switched to 8Mb? It just seems so wrong to promote it as 'up to 8Mb' when there's not a chance in heaven that I'll get anything like that and that in fact the service Plusnet give me will deteriorate instead of improve.

In effect I'm paying for a significantly depleted service now.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Duplicate post removed.
tssk
Grafter

Welcome to the club, this is exactly what has been happening to me since November, I too was on the 2.2meg stable connection, decided to upgrade, get wild swings of up to 3.4meg, it'll even hold it for a day or two, then I'll reboot and an hour later it decides to log on and play... at 1meg or below. Reported it a couple of times, but nowt has come of it yet... I too would love to be back on my stable 2.2meg connection Cry
sophos9
Grafter

If it helps, my MAXdsl connection has gone from 2.5mb to about 215k then with some patience and hard work is not stable at 3777kbps... Great as BT say I cannot get 0.5mb!

funfiles, please post your modem stats up, then we can help...
James
Grafter

The IP Profile is the limiatation applied at BT's end, which is the speed that they think that your service is capable of receiving at a stable level.

I would expect you to suffer from exchange contention on a 2mbps profile also, and that you would not notice much difference until the exchange is upgraded.
tssk
Grafter

Sophos, this is an ongoing thing, I have a ticket open, but I don't see how its going to help whilever BT are regulating my profile at the other end... A previous post from a week ago explains and gives details, not much point in posting modem details, as it fluctuates every few hours, when it automatically is switched off (BT?) and on again, until it decides to synch the line.
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52360&highlight=funfiles
N/A

Have you found out the status of your exchange, go here If the VP's are at red then contention could be a problem if not very unlikely to be. Suprised that PN has not checked or ask you to check the exchange status.
tssk
Grafter

N/A

@funfiles, looking at your posts it seem that you are logging on and syncing at different speeds. If so then this is a problem with the line at not contention or VP's. @rookerylane sync and profies are the same for all his tests and has problems with speed throughput which is either exchange contention or a problem (traffic management) at PN side.
tssk
Grafter

@pchambers... so, in your opinion, where does that leave me? What are the options?
barryg
Dabbler

I can't be of much help, but just to let you know your symptoms are the same as mine too. I moved to "Up to 8MB" in October and to begin with had amazing speeds above what I had expected to get. The line was stable enough after the ten day period, and sync'd at 8MB (or just under) every time and I got a through put between 4.5MB and 7MB.

Then since December the line has been suffering with very poor performance. I've been leaving my router on all day recently and it's fine first thing in the morning, but by 6pm I'd be browsing the web at 56K modem speeds!!! So I'd reboot the router and off we go again with a high speed....that is until about an hour later the same thing would happen again....usually whilst playing Battlefield 2!!

I've got a call open with support but after 2 days no one has yet got back to me with any updates. I think support have also changed my line profile (without telling me I might add!!) and limited it to 3MB, and of course I know the line is capable of faster. I suppose if it sorts the problem then fair enough, but if it ends up being stable, I'd at least like it increasing gradually to keep testing.

For now, I'm pretty frustraited from not having any update from support....I just wanna know what's going on! Please!! :? :?

Adrian
James
Grafter

Adrian,

The evil Plusnet have limited your connection to 3000kbps after the equally evil BT limited your connection to 3424kbps.

Do the drops in speed relate at all to any dropped sync levels?