cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go from here - Part2

talacrush
Dabbler

Well after a few days break I'm back to the forum again.

The story so far:

I've been getting very slow d/l rates and I've run all the checks I should have done. To summarise:

I connect into the master socket
    I've changed the filters
    My exchange status is green and always has been
    Typically I get nowhere near 8Mbps. My speeds are frequently at or below 1Mb and pages take ages to load etc etc
    When I was on the 2Mb service I had close to 2Mb all the time.
    When I switched to 8Mb, the troubles began.

The time before last when I did the speed tests one of the moderators here told me I had wildly fluctuating speeds which was indicative of contention. My point was that, prior to converting to 8Mb, contention was never an issue.

What happened next:

Strangely, after posting my last message to the forum the next day my speeds increased dramatically to 5.5Mb. Sadly this was short lived.

At the weekend I recorded 88kbps on the BT test site. So bad was this it generated a new page for me telling me to go on to the next test. I had to reset the user to "bt_test_user" and blank the password field. This I did and it reconnected successfully showing the new IP to be 81.152.48.199. That's as far as I ever got however, because despite trying this several times, each time I clicked to 'continue the test' it simply brought up the "This page cannot be displayed" page.

I have just tried again now and this time my recorded speed is 357 kbps '....indicating a potential problem with your service' Tell me something I dont know! But guess what; yet again i cannot complete the test because I keep getting the 'Page cannot be displayed' page.

Can you believe just how many hours I have wasted on this. I am utterly frustrated.

Please can someone help !!!
29 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi,

I can't see anything untoward when running a test on your line.

Are you in a position where you could try to use a different modem to eliminate hardware failure?
talacrush
Dabbler

I dont think it's the modem because we recently changed from a belkin modem router to a netgear modem router and we experience the same problem.

What I do is this: Having failed the test I open a new browser to my router settings window, change my login from rookerylane@plusdsl.net to bt_test_user@plusdsl.net and delete the password replacing it with nothing (as per BT instructions). I can see it reconnects successfully to the new IP then I return to the first browser window and click Go to continue. Thats when it fails to get any further and says 'Page cannot be displayed'.

When this first happened I tried to repeat the test from scratch only to find it wouldnt let me telling me my rookerylane user was in the middle of a test. Ironic really.

Oh and I've tried different PCs too. I honestly dont think there is any problem with either the PC or the modem/router.
talacrush
Dabbler

Any takers on this before it vanishes into the mire of other performance issues? Thanks.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

What speeds do you get when performing the instructions suggested here:

http://users.plus.net/tutorials/?id=61
talacrush
Dabbler

Here's what I said above in my first post:

At the weekend I recorded 88kbps on the BT test site. So bad was this it generated a new page for me telling me to go on to the next test. I had to reset the user to "bt_test_user" and blank the password field. This I did and it reconnected successfully showing the new IP to be 81.152.48.199. That's as far as I ever got however, because despite trying this several times, each time I clicked to 'continue the test' it simply brought up the "This page cannot be displayed" page.

I have just tried again now and this time my recorded speed is 357 kbps '....indicating a potential problem with your service' Tell me something I dont know! But guess what; yet again i cannot complete the test because I keep getting the 'Page cannot be displayed' page.

The point is I'm now getting pretty much confused about what I should be connecting to to do the tests:

I've been using bt_test_user@plusdsl.net with no password

Now I see it says "replace your current login with speedtest@speedtest_domain and leave the password field blank"

I've already pointed out to your support desk that the instructions are inconsistent and they have agreed their instructions on the Broadband Fault Checker page and BTs say different things. They said they would update it but nothing seems to have changed and I can no longer access the question where they said this.

Regardless of this the point I'm making is I cant complete the test when performance falls so low and they want to take me on to the next test.

Right now I've got an astonishing 2.7mbps but please believe me when I say this is unusual. Most of the time its just dreadful and 88kbps and 357kbps are just two examples of it.
James
Grafter

I do appreciate what you are saying, but all we are trying to find out is whether or not your shocking speeds are against the exchange or not.

I would suggest using speedtest@speedtest_domain as your login, and then prowsing to the IP address given in the tutorial.

I would expect this to work. Please excuse me if you have already tried this.
tssk
Grafter

And I'm still in the same boat. Yesterday for a very long and sustained period I had a nice 3.6mg connection, or so it was reporting. I even did what was previously suggested and went and bought a wireless router etc.

I reboot this morning and try the BT Speed test and get:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: - provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5152 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 446 kbps

My Voyager 2091 says:
ADSL Speed (DS/US) 5152/448 Kbps

So, since November, nowts changed, its still seesaw time Sad and I'm still confused as to why I can have a sustained speed, only for it to reset to lower derisory speeds, I'm also sick of doing repeated tricks for BT etc vis a vis speedchecks, shut downs, more slightly different speeds, more roundabouts to go on etc - to be honest I'm sick of Max - Max wants flagelating - very hard - and I want my nice stable 2.2mg back!
James
Grafter

Hi,

I can move you back to a fixed rate product if you want me to do so. Given your d/s line attenuation (noise on line) this may only be 1mbps but I will try for 2mbps.
tssk
Grafter

Hi,

I can move you back to a fixed rate product if you want me to do so. Given your d/s line attenuation (noise on line) this may only be 1mbps but I will try for 2mbps.

Who James? Me or Rookery?
James
Grafter

You, funfiles.
tssk
Grafter

If you can do that for me James, and it resynchs at a lovely stable 2.2 like before... I'll clean your shoes for a year! :lol:
James
Grafter

I'll give it a shot. Your d/s attenuation is @ 45dB which is just outside BT's limitation for a 2mbps product, but we'll see how we do.
tssk
Grafter

Cheers James - what do you want me to do?
Shut down? How long etc?
tssk
Grafter

I see what you mean about the attenuation, don't know if this lot helps:
Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:00:09:36
Line Coding Trellis Off Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 4960 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 6.4 dB 21.0 dB
Line Attenuation 45.0 dB 27.0 dB