Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did the speed go?

bod
Grafter

Where did the speed go?

HI folks
Let me tell you my story.

2 weeks ago or just over, my internet connection died in a manner that I have not experienced before. I use an internal pci adsl modem that I have had for perhaps 4 years or so. It has always worked like a dream, and with F9 broadband 2MB I have lately been getting the best speeds ever. downloading from Rapidshare is lightning fast and all that.

OK, back to the lost connection. The icon for my modem that is usually green had turned red and the info it gave out when I hovered my mouse over it was 'HSK - Detecting, Up 0, Down 0.

I phoned F9 and reported it. They passed it on to second line support. Tests were doen and revealed there was a problem - an unkown problem. They had to pass it to their provider? BT I suppose.

Anyway, I could go in to one about how poor the support was but I can't be bothered. I spent 2 weeks with no connection and no one got in touch with me.
I got back to them after 2 weeks, and they said BT had 'done some configuring on the line in order to hopefully solve my problem'. I asked what the problem was? F9 did not have an answer. I asked what the configuring was that BT did? F9 did not have an answer.

I was rather peeved that I had to phone F9 to get this info or none info. Whay did they not phone me? They had my mobile and home number.
Anyway, the support person at F9 said I hould check my modem.
I had already tried reinstalling the modem and drivers (naturally)
ok, so I got hold of a modem/router wireless thing from a mate. I have never used such a device before. We set it up, and actually it did connect me to the net eventually (for some reason it takes an indiscrimamate AGES to connect). The device for your info is a LINKSYS WAG354G.

So, I am still not entirely sure whether my pci modem had died, or my connection had died and then been fixed? Anyway, I guess I should reinstall the modem and find out.

To the point now: The speeds on this LINKSYS WAG354G were so utterley rubbish even for loading web pages , that I got hold of a different router (borrowed) and this one is a ORIGO ASR8400
and i tried connecting with it, and it wouldnt seem to connect, so I left it on all night. and when I got up today, it had magically connected. Im not really sure how?

Anyway, the point is that also with this router, my dsl speeds are just so slow? NOw, is this because of the router? Is there a magic way of configuring these things to get my 2MB conn back>? I just downloaded a file from Rapidshare and it came in at 20KB/s
With my old pci modem I used to get at least 3 times faster than that.

I just did the F9 Speed test and got 104.90kbps !!!!
The last time I tested before this problem i got 1932.5

So, does anyone else get slower speeds through a router? Shall I go and buy another PCI modem? Could my slow speeds just be part of this F9 upgrading lark?
Please kind people, any help and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Jon
17 REPLIES
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Where did the speed go?

Hi Bodfish,

The most likely thing that happened is your line is Maxed.

Before my line was maxed I contacted Binatone Tech Support about my old ADSL Modem/router and the guy there said it would work but only up to 4 Meg and would probably be unstable when connected to a Maxed line. So I replaced it with a Linksys WAG354G Modem/router/wireless access point. Like the one you tried.

If you still had the Linksys connected I could suggest some pages in the router you could access to verify if your line was on standard ADSL or ADSL Max.

The reason your downloads are slow could be, (if your line is maxed), due to the BRAS profile at the exchange being set low. It would do this as your line was unstable due to problems with your PCI ADSL Modem. The system would detect the unstable line and adapt the speed downwards until it became stable.

Can you borrow the Linksys again for a week to check out if your line is maxed?
If you can I may be able to help you restore some sort of speed to your connection.

Regards, Colin.
N/A

Where did the speed go?

Bodfish

I also use a Linksys WAG354G router and am Maxed. After weeks of performance woes, I am now seeing connection speeds that exceed those of my old setup (he said, tempting fate...). Despite synchronising >6mbps I get about 4mbps downhill with a back wind on a good day.

If you get the Linksys back, I can advise on settings.
bod
Grafter

Where did the speed go?

Thanks kindly for your replies.
I am still using the Origo Router because it's just so simple to use. I have got the Linksys router still. but have been loathe to use it because it is a bugger to get connected. It seems so unpredictable when connecting ie I click 'connect' and then it goes to another web browser page saying something like 'Now Connecting Please Wait ' - and there is also a 'Continue' button that I click - and then it goes back to the intial set up page as if nothing has happened. I then wait for perhaps an hour and if I'm lucky it connects. This Origo router is magic because it is always on and even when I unplug it and shut down and then boot up and plug in etc it just connects straight away with out any clicking and waiting.

Anway, the problem still persists. My line is running like a isdn line 128 kbps still.

Could you tell me in advance what settings I should have in the Linksys?
N/A

Where did the speed go?

... It seems so unpredictable when connecting ie I click 'connect' and then it goes to another web browser page saying something like 'Now Connecting Please Wait ' - and there is also a 'Continue' button that I click - and then it goes back to the intial set up page as if nothing has happened. I then wait for perhaps an hour and if I'm lucky it connects...

ISTR that the v1.00 firmware forced me to use the "Connect" button on the web interface. It sounds as though you need a firmware upgrade so check your fw version. Mine is 1.01.05 October 2005.

These will get you running.

Settings Page

Encapsulation RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing VC
QoS Type UBR
Autodetect Disable
Virtual Circuit 0 (zero) VPI 38 VCI Range

Keep Alive 20sec
MTU Auto
bod
Grafter

Where did the speed go?

thanks Fred. I am fairly certain that I had those settings but I will check and get the firmware upgrade.
thanks again
Jon
Pendragon
Rising Star

Where did the speed go?

Hi Jon,

I can confirm the settings forgedykes is using only difference is I am on firmware version 1.01.03 and I have my ‘Keep Alive’ set to 60 Sec to keep the traffic down a bit.

When you first switch the router on it should do a brief self check then the DSL LED should flash a few times while it sync's with the exchange. Once the LED goes solid the Internet LED will flash a few times as it logs on to Force 9 and your connected. Should only take 2 to 3 Mins at most (that assumes your user name and password is already saved in the box).

If you do update the firmware you should have a ‘Status’ button on the far right.
Click this to bring up the next set of pages and then click ‘DSL Connection’.

From top to bottom you may have (if you are maxed).

DSL Status Up
    DSL Modulation Mode GDMT
    DSL Path Mode This may be INTERLEAVED
    Downstream Rate Can be as high as 8128 mine is 4640
    Upstream Rate 448 (If you are maxed).
    Downstream Margin 6db
    Upstream Margin 22db
    Downstream Line attenuation 49
    Upstream Line Attenuation 24
    Downstream Transmit Power 0
    Upstream Transmit Power 0

If your downstream rate is above say 2000 than you may be able to get your BRAS Profile upped a bit by turning off the router at least once a day for three days. This should force the profile back up to a more normal setting and increase your download speeds (it did for me when my settings dropped after heavy rain).

Must say the router has been as solid as a rock from install and WiFi works great.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Colin
bod
Grafter

Where did the speed go?

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 41.6 23.0 dB
Line Attenuation 12.3 5.0 dB
Errored Seconds 3 4
Loss of Signal 1 1
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 0 1
Data Rate 192 288 kbps
Latency INTERLEAVED INTERLEAVED

I am using the Origo Router. Above is my ADSL status/ It has been ike that for perhaps 1 week. My speed tests on F9 are stuck at around 160kbps.
When I do the diagnostics test on the Router it FAILS on both
'Test ATM OAM Segment Loop Back' and
'Test ATM OAM End-to-End Loop Back'

I don't know whats going on? F9 are no help whatsoever! I would like to know if I am so called Maxed? I would like to know if I have been upgraded? I would like to know if my connection is suddenly going to come back fast again? Is it being fixed? Is it my fault or BTs fault or F9 or what>? WHAT IS GOING ON ..arrrggggh!

F9 sent me an email yesterday saying :

As part of our commitment to providing the best value broadband experience, we have now successfully moved your broadband service to our alternative broadband network.

You should see no change in your service and you don't need to change any settings or your hardware, your broadband will simply continue to work as normal.

I don't even know what that means? Is that in relation to my problem? Is it a general thing?

PLease - anyone - someone helllllllllllllllllllllp!
Sad

I am Force9 Broadband Premier Option 1 (used to be called 'up to 2mb')
Until 3 weeks ago I had a steady connection and my speed test on f9 were 1932.5 kbps.

3 weeks ago my line went dead. F9 said there was a fault (unknown one) and BT were contacted. It seems also that my pci modem died. I dont know if thats related>? F9 then said (2 weeks later) that BT had made changes/configured the line and it should be better? It wasnt. So Thats when I changed my pci modem and used a Router modem to see if the pci modem was broken. The ADSL line was up but as mentioned my speeds are stuck really low.

I dont know if the problem is me and my Router or BT and their exchange/lines/incompetance. Im tempted to go and buy another pci modem because they are so easy to install but I am actually quite skint and am loathe to spend money when its not necessary.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Where did the speed go?

Hi,

I know it’s not worth much but you have my sympathies.

From this quote
we have now successfully moved your broadband service to our alternative broadband network.
I would assume (note I’m not 100% sure) that you have been moved to Tiscali wholesale LLU (Local Loop Unbundled), I may be wrong you would need F9 to confirm this.

From your stats it would appear you are still on some sort of Standard ADSL (upstream = 28Cool and something has gone badly wrong with your changeover.
How soon you can get it fixed I wouldn’t like to hazard a guess, I think you need a BT engineer to check things out ASAP.

Trouble is if you have been changed to Tiscali then who does the work goodness only knows.

Don't spend any more money until you know just what has happened to your connection. I must say the email was very vague and didn't say which service you are changed too, Max or Tiscali.

You could try looking up your exchange details and see if any providers have installed LLU equipment there.

Not much help I know.
bod
Grafter

Where did the speed go?

thanks for replying. I appreciate any help what so ever because I am so much in the dark and tbh I'm a complete noob when it comes to networking/adsl configuring etc - and a lot of the terminology goes straight over my head. I am trying to make sense of this whole bleak episode and piece together clues with no help at all from F9 who rather than give me help or solid info and answers are managing to just confuse things with their ambiguous emails and etc etc bla bla

I have looked up my local exchange: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=SMWV

It says LLU is enabled
ADSL Max is enabled too

I guess I'll have to wait for F9 to give me some answers - I won't hold my breath though!
N/A

Where did the speed go?

"we have now successfully moved your broadband service to our alternative broadband network. "

I'm fairly certain this is f9's code for you have been switched to LLU (Tiscali) - I received the same email mid June although my line had been switched to LLU several weeks earlier. Significantly the exchange you quoted does have Tiscali enabled.

If you use the availability checker on the samknows website the first paragraph will tell you if your line is unbundled.
N/A

Where did the speed go?

I know your problem only too well.
No connection all last Friday, slow connection since - sub 500kbps, same email from f9 yesterday and zero response from f9 to all my messages.
Thought f9 were brilliant (well they were) and recommended them to loads, but alas I am now thinking of ditching them. Not just for the slow connection but most of all for not keeping me properly informed - not knowing what, why and for how long is really frustrating.

Maybe some bod from f9 will read this and react favourably...........maybe!
bod
Grafter

Where did the speed go?

ah some good info on that web site.

Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.
However, your line is currently unbundled by an LLU operator such as Be, Bulldog or Easynet. Moving to another provider may require a cease and re-provide, which may result in loss of service for a few days.

The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max

LLU xDSL presence at your exchange

You are connected to the Wolverton telephone exchange.

The following table details the availability of LLU services at your location.

Be Unlimited is not yet available in your area
Bulldog is not yet available in your area
Easynet is not yet available in your area
Edge is not yet available in your area
Homechoice is not yet available in your area
Node4 is not yet available in your area
Wanadoo is not yet available in your area
Zen is not yet available in your area

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 6.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 493 metres from the exchange (straight line distance).

There appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing DSL connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Where did the speed go?

Hi Again,

From the printout you posted it seems our fears are confirmed.
You have changed to Tiscali LLU (from the first paragraph) and there is a problem with your line or the way it's been set up (last paragraph in bold).

I would copy and post that to CS support and try and get them to action it ASAP (but don't hold your breath Wink ).

One thing you could try is flash upgrading the Linksys firmware and then trying to connect using it, the Linksys may handle the Tiscali connection better as it's ADSL, ADSL+ and ADSL2 compatable. Mine handled ADSL Max like a dream.
I leave that decision up to you.

Good luck, regards Colin.
bod
Grafter

Where did the speed go?

Hi Colin

Thanks very much for the advice. I will try what you said.

Best regards,

Jon