cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When would be a good time to leave? & will i be charged?

N/A

Looking in my account details, i signed up 28/11/04 [ADSL Initial Charge (including ADSL hardware Starter Pack) + P&P] all for £115.48
£29.99 a month came out on the 8th every month. I found out that after a while, with PlusNet's changes, i could get the EXACT same service at £21.99/month. I think it was a member of this forum who pointed it out. PlusNet were happy to take my £8 extra a month. So i switched my payment to £21.99 which continues till this day to be taken out on the 8th of every month.

I have posted a few times i know, about being unhappy with the speeds. Especially the weekend, when being on a 56k connection would be so much faster.

I don't want to end up getting charged for a month & not using it. I know which ISP i want to move to as they are getting great reviews (like PlusNet USED to - being my reason for joining).

So anyone able to tell me a good time to put in my cancellation request? Also, do i cancel with PN, get my MAC and THEN give it to my new ISP?

I really don't know how it works, so escuse me if this seems a stupid question, lol. Any help as always, is appreciated. Thanks.
31 REPLIES
N/A

You have it spot on:
Raise a ticket (question) via the Help and Support portal requesting a MAC. (Assuming you are on MaxDSL rather than LLU)

[Help and Support > Customer Service and Billing > Account Management > Cancel My Product]

PN will come back to you with confirmation and your MAC, which you issue to your new supplier along with the date your contract with PN ends.

As far as the best time to cancel, you only have to pay for 30 days notice, but if there is a payment due during the notice period, it will be taken in full, and you will have to claim back any unused credit.
It's much easier to cancel as close to your payment date as possible, so that you don't need to go through the refund step.
Notice begins from when you request it, so don't worry about how long it takes them to action it. (Up to a point - more than a week and I'd stamp my feet Wink )

If you want to keep your current email addresses, include a request to downgrade your account to dial-up rather than cancel it, that way so long as you collect your mails at min every three months, your addresses will remain active.

Hope this is of use to you.
(If you are on LLU, the process is more or less the same, but not every ISP can process an LLU MAC, so your choice becomes restricted to one that does, or get your new ISP to re-provision your line with ADSL - many will charge the £47 fee for doing this to you, but some will absorb the cost over a period of time or do it for free)
N/A

Notice begins from when you request it, so don't worry about how long it takes them to action it.

I'm in the same boat wondering exactly how the process works, and found James' post really useful in clarifying what I need to do - thanks!

However, I was wondering if you know whether the MAC request itself is taken to constitute the start of the notice period, or whether you have to specifically say "I wish to cancel my account on such and such date, please provide me with my MAC"?

With the delays there seem to be in getting LLU MACS, I'm aware that 30 days could easily come and go whilst still remaining in limbo, so had not specified a preferred cancellation date when I asked for mine last week. Should I have?

Alternatively, anyone from comms able to offer advice?
N/A

I think its a fairly flexible.
Request a MAC Key (Moving To Another Broadband Provider)

Please tell us why you want to move to another broadband provider and what date you want to move on.

The Support Team will then process your request and generate a MAC Key.

Your new provider will need this MAC Key to move your service across.

The Support Team will reply online in the Help Assistant.

Please note: it can take up to 7 days to generate your MAC key.

It will help our Support Team if you could enter a contact telephone number or mobile number.

Ask your Question here...

So basically, they will take the payment for 30 Days notice period as a minimum, and by default issue you a MAC within 7 days, which has to be used within 30 days.

You can optionally request that your service be ceased earlier than the 30 day notice period - I expect they'll need a few (5 -7?) days notice though -but you would still have to pay the 30 days, hence the default allows you to use it up to the date you stop paying for it.
N/A

Thanks James

I 've added an amendment to my ticket to clarify that I was giving Plusnet my cancellation notice, and also took the opportunity to request a PAYG dial up downgrade rather than full cancellation.

Slightly off topic, but it's also odd that Plusnet don't seem to employ any "keeping" tactics to persuade customers to stay on board during such uncertain times? If they had replied to my MAC request with a bit of TLC and some concerned words, I doubt I would ever have got to the stage of setting a real cancellation date! Sad

Oh well, pastures new I suppose ...
N/A

I suppose at the minute the resource might be thought better spent on sorting issues affecting ongoing customers, rather than outgoing ones.

I can only surmise that since the PN policy is to be as open as possible when it comes to revealing the issues they are facing (both good and bad) they perhaps think that customers are well enough informed to be able to make their decision without any extra pressure from themselves.
N/A

I suppose at the minute the resource might be thought better spent on sorting issues affecting ongoing customers, rather than outgoing ones.

Yes, I suppose you're right on that one. It just goes to show that when too many things go wrong at once, it all starts to spiral away from you! I do sympathise with them, as it is a hell of a job running around firefighting and not having the time to do some of the things that you know would help in the long run!

I live in Sheffield myself and have been proud to support the local isp - we need as many technology jobs as we can in the city - which is why I want to downgrade my account to PAYG dial up rather than cancel it, so I can move back at sometime in the future if they get themselves sorted out. The danger is, of course, that if I am happy with my new isp, I might just stay there indefinitely.

What I am suprised about is how quickly I have gone in my own mind from being a patient 'ongoing customer' waiting for all of the issues to be resolved, to all of a sudden being an 'outgoing' customer - it's like: "how did that just happenHuh". :? If that is true for me, a fairly longstanding customer with a real desire to give my business to the local provider, I do worry how many other customers will feel the same...

Anyways, thanks for the help!
N/A

Thanks guys. I think i'll just whack in the account closure soon then. Don't think i should get billed for October.
Had a look on the website of the ISP i want to head to. On the order page, you have to select which ISP you're moving from. They have these listed...

PlusNet
Plus.Net

What's the difference? I'm guessing i should be picking PlusNet and not Plus.Net?

EDIT: I've just noticed this in another thread...

Generated LLU MAC keys are currently not working (PN's supplier is creating invalid MAC keys for some reason).

I don't know what LLU isHuh But does this mean i'm going to have trouble getting my MAC key?
N/A

I don't know what LLU isHuh

LLU stands for local loop unbundling, and means that a supplier other than BT provides the equipment at the exchange. Around 10% of Plusnet customers are on an LLU connection (provided by Tiscali), the rest are with BT.

The easiest way to see if you are on LLU is to check your modem or router information to see at what speed it is syncing UPSTREAM. If this value is higher then 440 kbps then you will be on LLU.

If you are on a BT connection you should have no trouble with your MAC. If you are one of the unlucky ones, like me, on a Tiscali connection then you either have to:

a) Cease the connection totally, and get a re-provide from your new supplier. This entails a number of days downtime.

b) Attempt to get a working LLU MAC and take it to one of the few suppliers who accept them - Zen, IDnet, Madasafish and a couple of others are your only option right now if you don't want downtime.

Welcome to wonderfully chaotic world of consumer broadband in Britain at the moment!
N/A

The only thing that I would add to James very clear instructions at the beginning of this thread is after you have switched to the new ISP using the MAC is to drop a ticket to PN confirming that the transfer is complete and to cease your account to dail up pay as you go.

PN, I believe, does noy automatically cease account when a MAC has been issued after the 30 days notice. The rationale beginning that user ask for MAC's but do not use them so PN will keep the account open and carry on taking monthly payments.
aetos
Grafter

arpsh

The easiest way to see if you are on LLU is to check your modem or router information to see at what speed it is syncing UPSTREAM. If this value is higher then 440 kbps then you will be on LLU.

This is not true, it is possible to be up 832mb with BT if you where on a previous 20:1 contended product, as BT don't have contention anymore there is a higher stream on MAX

MArk
N/A

well as you mention Zen, it is actually Zen who i am looking to move to.

So what is it i should be asking for? Just a Mac code, or a MAC LLU code or LLU MAC code?

So confusing!! lol

& with downtime, do you mean i wont be able to get online? If i can't get online then how can i find my MAC code? or even register with Zen?

EDIT: has anyone recieved a working MAC code recently?
N/A

it is possible to be up 832mb with BT if you where on a previous 20:1 contended product,

Very true - I forgot about that! However, am I right in thinking that relatively few people were on the lower contention ratio products before they ceased to exist, and those that were commonly came from the more techie end of the user spectrum?

Anyway, I suppose if you want to be sure whether you are on LLU you could always ask Plusnet the question directly in a ticket - just don't expect a quick answer! This would then determine whether you ask for an LLU Mac, or the plain old vanilla BT version.

& with downtime, do you mean i wont be able to get online? If i can't get online then how can i find my MAC code? or even register with Zen?

By downtime, I mean that for a good number of days you would not have a working broadband connection! However, this would only happen if you choose to do a full cease of your Plusnet line rather than wait for a working LLU Mac. You would have plenty of time to sign up with your new provider before that happened, and you would still be able to use dial up in the interim.

If you are thinking of moving to Zen, how about giving them a call to find out what you need to do. Unlike Plusnet they seem to answer their phones almost immediately, and when I phoned them to discuss what I need to do to migrate I found them to be very helpful. Cheesy
N/A

Thanks. I was on another forum asking about this also and one guy said this...

If you are on Plusnets IPStream products which is what Zen are using then you can request a MAC Code and move ISP without about 30minutes max of downtime. Their is usually no downtime at all, I have done this processes several times with ease.

This is why OFCOM want to make mac codes compulsory so that consumers can move with ease LLU or not. Their was once LLU MAC codes but they were so unsuccessful due to the multitude of different systems they got scrapped

So, LLU MACs have been scrapped?
N/A

Have you established whether you have been LLU'ed? As it been said in this thread if you upstream speed is higher than 488mb then you have been LLU'ed.

If you have then this does complicate things as you have found MAC's are not reliable. If it was me I probably will cancel my account with PN and do a new activation with a new ISP. I would then look at claiming the cost of this back from PN. There will be more downtime with this option but the move may be quicker.

If you still on IPStream then you should have no problem using a MAC and with this method the downtime is minimal and is more dependent on the ISPs than BT. BT just switch the routing for your BB so it more to do with having active accounts from the ISP you are leaving to the one you are joining.

LLU MAC's are different and downtime is longer, but should be in the order of 30 minutes as this is the time it take for the change of wiring in the exchange from the current LLU to either another LLU or back to BT.