cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the upgrades take place?

N/A

Please could someone from Plus net post a document detailing the scheduling for upgrades? Am I a month away from "maybe" getting a faster connection? 3 months? A year? Two years? Some indication of the time scale would be great, thanks.
23 REPLIES
N/A

There is no definative timescale at the minute. BT have published the Exchange upgrade schedule, but the process of upgrading each individual line, across the UK, is likely to take some time. We know how long it took BT to do the 2mb upgrades. Going off those time scales, we could be looking at months, but in honesty, we dont know. Its down to BT from now on.
N/A

I assume you are talking about the MaxDSL upgrades? There are a number of factors involved. Primarily it depends on when BT upgrade the exchanges, currently most exchanges have a placeholder date as 31st March as can be seen form checking your exchange here. Once the exchange is enabled, PlusNet can request that your account is moved onto MaxDSL. The speeds you actually get will then deoend on your line speed each time you sync with the exchange but the maximum is 8128kbps upstream and 448kbps downstream for residential accounts.
How they do this is still up in the air, will it be done account by account, bulk, prioritised by account type, length of time at PlusNet, or random. We simply don't know ant PlusNet have posted slightly conflicting messages about this, basically assuring anyone who asks that they are high in the queue. There may be methods to pay extra to jump the queue, some people have already been paying extra each month for the last year in the hope of jumping the queue.

So basically, from what has been said previously, I don't think PlusNet have properly decided (1) what method they will use for submitting upgrade requests and (2) what prioritisation they will give customers. These decisions are also partially dependant on BT because they perform the overall MaxDSL enabling of exchanges, then accept the orders in whichever way they decide ISP's can, then actually do the individual upgrading. It's all a bit like when people moved from 512 to 1 or 2Mbps.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We have been given priorities that will be applied to the order in which people are upgraded:
    Premier Up 8MB
    Premier Up to 4MB
    PAYG
    BB+ 4MB & 8MB

Then all other users according to how how long they have been PN users

How long this takes was still being discussed with BT the last we heard.

I suspect it will take a similar length of time to the free 2MB upgrades.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Those priorities depend and vary, depending upon which posts you read Wink
Community Veteran

True, but one thing that has been consistent is that Premier up to 2MB and BB+ up to 2MB will be behind all the others - which is why I left the gap.
Community Veteran

Hopefully the same system that applied to the 2mb upgrade will also be applied here where by you can pay £14.99 regrade fee to skip the queue, otherwise for us newer people it could take till this time next year to get upgraded Sad
N/A

Thanks for the help everyone.

Why do PAYG and BB+ customers get priority over, say, Premium 2Mb? And I don't quite get the "Premier Up 8MB" customers - don't they already have 8mb broadband?

I took a look at that link and it says:
"Virtual paths: Red
The ETA fix time is: 30 Mar 06

Upgrade Status
BT have started enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Currently, there is an estimated completion date of 31/03/06.
The status given here is an estimate given by BT on 17/03/06"

Is this a good sign? Or do they say pretty much that for everyone?
Community Veteran

I think I'd hold on to my £14.99 to see postings of what the actual experience of the faster speeds is like before I shell out. It may not be worth it if the BT and/or PN networks start creaking :!:
N/A

Not necessarily, I'm sure plenty of newer customers will receive the upgrades long before some of the long standing customers, due to when the exchanges are actually enabled and when BT can actually do the work.

As pcsni said, a lot is dependant upon BT, and they are notoriously shoddy. Unfortunately PlusNet don't help by advertising and selling products that they know won't exist for months (in the case of 4 and 8Mbps products, a whole year now).

xiasma - We don't really now the priority (PlusNet are still working this out) and there are so many other factors, that it's probably unwise to jump to any conclusions about how PlusNet will implement things. As for your exchange info, as already said, most have this date of the end of March, it is merely a placeholder and means very little. There are no set dates and no easy way to tell when you will get your upgrade. It could be in two weeks, it could be in two months (or longer).
Community Veteran

Why do PAYG and BB+ customers get priority over, say, Premium 2Mb?

PAYG is "Up to 8MB" & only the BB+ Up to 4MB and up to 8MB have priority (there are very few users on those).

And I don't quite get the "Premier Up 8MB" customers - don't they already have 8mb broadband?

They've been paying "to be at the front of the queue" and for higher SUP allowances - but unless their exchange has been part of the trial they haven't got the higher speeds yet.

Virtual paths: Red

Cry

Upgrade Status
BT have started enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Currently, there is an estimated completion date of 31/03/06.
The status given here is an estimate given by BT on 17/03/06"

Is this a good sign? Or do they say pretty much that for everyone?

Most of the 5000+ exchanges will be enabled by 31/03/06 - it's no indication of when you will actually get the faster speeds.
ceridwen
Grafter

And I don't quite get the "Premier Up 8MB" customers - don't they already have 8mb broadband?

They've been paying "to be at the front of the queue"

Which is where PN have created a dilemma for themselves.

If they allow queue jumping for 14.99 before all the up to 8Mb, 4Mb etc accounts have been upgraded, they are going to alienate all those paying 18 a month for the last 8 months or so to be first in the queue.

If they don't allow queue jumping and the upgrades take as long as the 2Mbit ones did, then those wishing to queue jump may find that they can do so by migrating to another ISP.

Matthew
N/A

Moving to another ISP may not get you anywhere, it will still depend largely on the ISP, your exchange and what you pay.
As for those who've been paying for over a year for a free upgrade, which is now free anyway, I believe PlusNet are looking at refunds on a case by case basis once the upgrades go through.
A lot of this is pretty irrelevant as the network doesn't appear to be coping too well with people on 2Mbps connections, I can't see MaxDSL suddenly improving latency or traffic management.
Superuser
Superuser

Just checked my exchange (EABDF) and deep joy! BT claim status Green on both VP capacity and on the MAXdsl upgrade.

Seeing that it is a very small exchange and part of the original 0.4% not included in the dsl roll out, I'm very chuffed. Local campaigning via our MP got 7 exchanges in East Anglia enabled last October.

So constructive campaigning can work!

Now to await the reality. I'm just on the borderline for 2 meg 43.5Db attenuation 27Db SNR. Time to pay up and be counted methinks?

Maurice
N/A

We know how long it took BT to do the 2mb upgrades. Going off those time scales, we could be looking at months, but in honesty, we dont know. Its down to BT from now on.

I'm a rank amateur when it comes to telecoms and broadband so apologies if I've misunderstood anything, but the situation seems different to me this time around. Last year BT took far longer to enable the exhanges for 2mb than the initially given date indicated. I think mine finally upgraded last September, some 6 months after the process started. At which point, and not before, customers of any ISP could get 2mb on this exchange. (I seem to recall that a day came when the modem synced at the higher speed, and a quick call to PN informing them of this got the account upgraded immediately).

This time however many of the exchanges have already been upgraded by BT, in advance of the given date. Mine has for example and is just waiting for the switch to be thrown on the 31st March. What remains to be done is for PN to order the upgrades, apparently. Presumably once the orders are placed there will then be a lead time before individual customers are moved onto Max, but the exhanges are just waiting to for that to happen, not for some sort of hardware upgrade like last time. I'm somewhat amazed this ordering hasn't been done already to be honest.

I'm guessing another ISP could have orders in place already for customers of theirs on my exchange and they'd be switched over more promptly than I will.

Have I got that wrong?