cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the activation fee be removed?

N/A

I'm trying to download something from usenet, and I'm getting speeds of 28k.

I AT LEAST expect download speeds of 200k on an 8mb line.

I want to move....NOW, if I request my MAC key will the activation fee be taken off then, or will I have to wait until it's been removed before I request my MAC key?
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Are you on BB+ or Premier?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Currently PlusNet are reclaiming any deferred activations.

So if you want to move NOW, then yes you will have to pay your deferred activation.

PlusNet have not announced a date yet when they will start to waver deferred activations over 12 months old.

Chilly
N/A

Re: When will the activation fee be removed?

I want to move....NOW, if I request my MAC key will the activation fee be taken off then, or will I have to wait until it's been removed before I request my MAC key?

As from Feb 14th PN HAVE to give you your MAC, then they will have to chase you if they feel they are owed money.
N/A

Looks like I'll have to wait a few weeks until they remove the activation fee then.
N/A

Are you on BB+ or Premier?

I'm on premier by the way
Community Veteran

Quite right, they will give you your MAC and request payment of what you owe. If you don't pay they will refer it to a debt collection agency, their terms and conditions allow them to charge you for the cost of collecting the debt and you risk a black mark against your credit rating.

Is it worth it?
Community Veteran

I don't get this. It would be quite understandable if people on BB+ were getting those kind of speeds or worse - the product design is quite clear that it is not for that kind of use. But Premier should be significantly better because of the price differential and it just isn't happening.
N/A

Plusnet are advertising no activation fee to pay after 12 month on their site, but they are not adhering to it.

They have already said they will remove the deferred activation fee for those who have had their account more than 12 month, and I understand they will need to create some sort of script to run through the accounts and remove the deferred activation fee, but surely in the meantime they could be reasonable enough to drop it manually until they do a bulk remove of the fee.

It's daft, if a want to leave now it'll cost me, but in a few weeks time or so I will be able to leave for free.
Community Veteran

That's for new users. No date has been announced yet for existing users.
N/A

I don't get this. It would be quite understandable if people on BB+ were getting those kind of speeds or worse - the product design is quite clear that it is not for that kind of use. But Premier should be significantly better because of the price differential and it just isn't happening.

Its simply because there is so much web and email traffic at the minute that there isnt much bandwidth left for things like usenet.

I'm getting download speeds on usenet around 30k, but plusnets speed checker say I can get 626.18kbps, and my sync and snr are;

up: 448000
down: 7392000
snr: 8.0
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Have you tried increasing the number of threads to the news server? Just tried a single thread to Yottanews and getting 12KB/s (it allows a maximum of 16KB/s) so not too bad.

You would need to repay the activation fee before we issue the MAC.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

As from Feb 14th PN HAVE to give you your MAC, then they will have to chase you if they feel they are owed money.

It doesn't remove the cancellation fee though, customers have still agreed to pay this should they cancel the account or migrate to another ISP.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Plusnet are advertising no activation fee to pay after 12 month on their site, but they are not adhering to it.

The current activation offer on the portal is for new signups only, at the moment for existing customers the previous offer remains unchanged.

They have already said they will remove the deferred activation fee for those who have had their account more than 12 month

We have announced that we will be changing the You Stay, We Pay offer to 12 months for everyone, however as yet the work to do this hasn't been done. It will likely take place in a few weeks time. Until then the cancellation fee remains as it was.
N/A

Have you tried increasing the number of threads to the news server? Just tried a single thread to Yottanews and getting 12KB/s (it allows a maximum of 16KB/s) so not too bad.

You would need to repay the activation fee before we issue the MAC.

The amount of threads I'm using is 10, which is the max for my usenet provider.