cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will I get faster than 2Meg broadband?

mcguinness58
Grafter

Hi,

At the moment I am on Plusnet Broadband Premier Option 1 and have been with Plusnet since April 2005. I am supposed to get upto 8mb but currently only get a speed of 2mb? Who is this down to? The local exchange or Plusnet? I Live in Woodhouse area of Sheffield so if anyone who lives there is getting faster than 2mb then please let me know. I am considering move my broadband to Sky which is what a lot of people seem to be doing. My other questions are, Will I get faster than 2mb speeds which they Sky said I would or will it stay the same because of my area?

Thanks
29 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi,

You're still on a fixed rate ADSL product.

I'm happy to place an order to upgrade your line to the upto 8mbps ADSL Max product if you want me to.
mcguinness58
Grafter

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. Would I be able to get 8mb in woodhouse? And if so how much is it?
James
Grafter

Hi,

There's no added cost.

Given the signal strength on your line, I'd expect you to see 4-6mbps, if not more, but it depends a lot on how busy your exchange is.

I'm in Central Sheffield, on the same road as the exchange, and rarely get over 5mbps because of the exchange being congested.
mcguinness58
Grafter

Can you change this for me? Also how come this wasn't done anyway? If I get a faster speed then I will stay with Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Partly because you haven't asked Smiley It's an opt in service that you can request from http://max.plus.net

Having said that, I've placed the order for you, and your upgrade should complete in the early hours of tomorrow.
mcguinness58
Grafter

Thanks James, will i receive an email confirmation?
Liam
Grafter

You will probably receive an acknowledgement of the request within a day or so, and we will send an E-Mail to you just before the upgrade to let you know it's happening.
James
Grafter

Nope. But I can add a ticket onto your account if you want me to?
Liam
Grafter

You will probably receive an acknowledgement of the request within a day or so, and we will send an E-Mail to you just before the upgrade to let you know it's happening.

Just to note - that applies to opt-ins at http://max.plus.net

James has placed your specific order manually.
mcguinness58
Grafter

Nope. But I can add a ticket onto your account if you want me to?

Yes if you could open a ticket for me that would be great. I didn't know about this opt in service but i am happier already.

Thanks
N/A

Re: When will I get faster than 2Meg broadband?

Hi,

I am supposed to get upto 8mb but currently only get a speed of 2mb? Thanks

Wow. At the moment I would be greatful tio get anything at all. Even when it works the arrogant BT only allow my area 512kb. At the moment they can't even provide that since 14th December when a bunch of their baboons interfered with my local telegraph pole :-(

Bill.

To whom 1 MB (or even a half ATM) would be a dream come true.
James
Grafter

Has been done.
N/A

Since when has the max been an opt-in? I thought PN were rolling out up to 8MB to everyone over time? Or was it that the max service was so bad that it was halted? I remember reading lots of complaining posts a while back. I too would be delirious to get anything over 576 Kbps.
Community Veteran

Yes there was an awful amount of problems earlier last year with the upgrades to Max.
It was originally halted while the mass of complaints were dealt with and then resumed on an opt in basis.
There were plenty of posts / notices etc about this at the time.