cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When the hell did the 10gb limit come in?

N/A

I now seem to be restricted to 10gb, and seemingly unable to contact the faceless beurocracy of PlusNet once more, when the hell did this come in? - I was unlimited, then capped at 30gb and now capped at 10gb and I'm still paying the full whack of when I started, surely I should get a discount as my allowance is constantly shrinking?...

ah well, I've said it before, then sat on my backside and did nothing, but now I guess the time has come to vote with my feet and jigger off elsewhere... too many deals out there to be ignored and I'm sure I can get a lot more for £25/month these days...

see ya guys...
73 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes it used to be 30Gb, then all of a sudden got reduced to a derisory 10Gb pre-restrictions. I am probably one of PlusNet near ideal users (near ideal as in I used to use 1Gb a month, not quite ideal as I do actually use the connection). I can imagine if I was working from home and didn't spend so long at work I would use a lot more.

You generally need to be reading the forums on a regular basis, to see what limit has been adjused before the Ellacoyas kick in Cheesy

Imagine on Friday, when people start streaming the World Cup matches, how far is the 10Gb cap going to go?

I've recently moved house, but retained my parents connection at PlusNet (hence this post). It is this, as well the situation of PlusNet forcing people over LLU with or without the customers consent with their claim of 'it not being feasible' (in other words not cost effective) to allow people to opt-out, which meant I didn't choose them as an ISP once I moved. At least they eventually saw sense and allowed us to do so.

So I've joined an ISP, with a peak-time allowance 400% larger than PlusNet's for another 3 pound a month (and also with shorter peak times). Their site and portal is nowhere near as advanced as PlusNet's is, but performs the basics, allowing me to manage my account which is all I need it to do. Their marketing spend must have been a lot less :lol:

Personally I would rather PlusNet invest more in their bandwidth and to better serve their primary function (i.e. being an ISP), thus allowing their pipes to not be become overloaded during peak hours hence giving us a greater allowance. I would rather their investment in services such as the Shop and PlusTalk be directed elsewhere. Would you rather see the absence of these services for a higher allowance? I certainly don't make use of them and would - although I am sure others do and are happy.

Obviously this doesn't make PlusNet as much money so they are not interested in the above. Of course they are a business and they need to make money, it is just a shame to see a company once focused on customer service and serving their primary function as an ISP to change direction and attempt to provide as much, for any many users as possible. Now they seem to be catering for the low users, who only use the internet occasionally. The words 'over-stretching' come to mind!

I must admit though their range of services, particularly their control panel, to the help on the member centre is far better than any other ISP I have seen. So at least I have made a positive comment in this post Cheesy - it is a shame they don't seem to concentrate on being an internet service provider instead.

The waiting times to call customer service don't seem to have improved though, in fact the waiting times seem to have doubled from the 40-odd minutes it took me to get through the only time I had to call them (I think back in 2003), to now an hour and a half (as people have posted here recently). Obviously their call centre is under-staffed for the volume of calls it receives, and they don't seem to be doing anything about it anytime soon.

Hence my comment about customer service :roll:
N/A

Thanks HuntHome, well I'll be off I think, I said that last time but never did as 'lazy loyalty' took over. But hey I've changed my credit card, telephone, gas and electric supplier to the cheapest around, I'm sure I can change my ISP and save some moolah.

Who do you go with now? I dont need anything flash, no webspace or CGI, no backend wotsits, multiple emails etc - just a plain old reliable friendly (cheap) ISP that wont force me to use some crap proprietory browser or force me through some celebrity news portal, just a link to the world...

:
N/A

Y

So I've joined an ISP, with a peak-time allowance 400% larger than PlusNet's for another 3 pound a month (and also with shorter peak times). Their site and portal is nowhere near as advanced as PlusNet's is, but performs the basics, allowing me to manage my account which is all I need it to do. Their marketing spend must have been a lot less :lol:

:roll:

Which ISP ?
N/A

Here's Where +net dont have a clue!

The following Link shows clearly the limits:

See here

This link was created at 18:27 on the 7th June 2006 just in case +net have any thoughts about claiming it is out of date!

The following screenshot also clearly shows that the warning email should only be sent out at 24Gb (Option 1 Premier)

screen shot here

+net.......You cowboys REALLY dont have a clue do you!?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Screen shots changed to links as the images were stretching the page.
N/A

The screen shot shown is of the SUP and not traffic management.
the 30gb is the amount in total you can use in a month in peak time before you will be profiled as part of the sustainable usage policey.

How ever there is a traffic management section which i noticed you had missed which shows what happens when you used 10gb or more.

Please see the following link as this detials how traffic management works as part of the great sup package.

Just to clarify you need to have gone through every level of the traffic management before you would be hit with the sup profile.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

I may be being dim here, but as far as I am aware, you do only get a warning at 24GB, and this is part of the 'two strikes and you are out' principle.

Prior to that you receive notification emails that you are approaching the threshold for a managed connection, and then for each threshold you cross. These are FYI, rather than warnings, since once you pass your billing date, your prior offences are wiped clean ;-)

This is unlike the 24GB warning, and then 30GB connection restrictions, since once you've crossed the 30GB point in 1 month, it then remains on your record until you upgrade to higher bandwidth product.

That's how I remember it, but haven't waded through all the information again.

Regards, Neil
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Just to clarify you need to have gone through every level of the traffic management before you would be hit with the sup profile.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml[/url]

Mark, your link is broken due to the extraneous trailing tag.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

Regards, Neil
N/A

Thanks Smiley for spotting the deliberate mistake!
N/A

How ever there is a traffic management section which i noticed you had missed which shows what happens when you used 10gb or more.

More or less a "drop it to 10Gb per month by stealth!" on the part of +net.

I'm going to be heading for the hills soon....No matter what it costs me, once my 12 month handcuffs are off I am off to a PROPER Internet SERVICE PROVIDER. Since September it seems I have been paying for an Internet "Screw you Customer" Non-Provider.

10Gb is not exactly what I or any other regular user would call generous by any means.

You keep on making cuts to the amount users can use, you charge the same monthly fee, you botch installations of "Network Management" devices to the detriment of half the services people use the Internet for, you make constant changes to the Customer Services contact options.

In short +net change more in a week than most if not all other ISPs change in a year all in the name of "progress". No matter which way you look at it +net, you cannot polish a turd and no matter how strenuously you deny it, a turd is what your "service" has become!
N/A

More or less a "drop it to 10Gb per month by stealth!" on the part of +net.

I'm going to be heading for the hills soon....No matter what it costs me, once my 12 month handcuffs are off I am off to a PROPER Internet SERVICE PROVIDER. Since September it seems I have been paying for an Internet "Screw you Customer" Non-Provider.

10Gb is not exactly what I or any other regular user would call generous by any means.

You keep on making cuts to the amount users can use, you charge the same monthly fee, you botch installations of "Network Management" devices to the detriment of half the services people use the Internet for, you make constant changes to the Customer Services contact options.

In short +net change more in a week than most if not all other ISPs change in a year all in the name of "progress". No matter which way you look at it +net, you cannot polish a turd and no matter how strenuously you deny it, a turd is what your "service" has become!

Quoted for the truth! Well said!

Another dis-satisfied customer here. The new unbelieveably low limits are the last straw!
N/A

More or less a "drop it to 10Gb per month by stealth!" on the part of +net

This was outlined in January 2006 vision statement so I don’t know how this can be classed as stealth we advised all customers that there would be a new traffic management system and how this would work and affect customers.
Also 15 GB in total before your peer to peer is stopped but you can still browse and get to emails and it only affects your service between the 4pm and 12am and then the service returns to full line speed.

10 GB is not exactly what I or any other regular user would call generous by any means.

The average user only uses about 10 GB a month in total not just between the hours of 4pm and 12am bearing in mind that you have up to 15 GB of peak time before you cannot download but you can still use download services outside of peak times without an issue.
N/A

Also 15 GB in total before your peer to peer is stopped but you can still browse and get to emails and it only affects your service between the 4pm and 12am and then the service returns to full line speed.

Exactly when most people use the Internet. I refuse to be dictated to by +net as to when and when I cannot use a service for which I pay a monthly fee. Should I perhaps give up my job simply to use the Internet when +net say?

The average user only uses about 10 GB a month in total not just between the hours of 4pm and 12am bearing in mind that you have up to 15 GB of peak time before you cannot download but you can still use download services outside of peak times without an issue.

Again...who comes up with these stats? Oh thats right....+net do.....they simply manipulate the figures to provide the stats that they wish to project to their user base. No better than the lowest snake of a politician....

I am not simply on about p2p here either. The 10Gb figure applies to ALL traffic on your service. Further to that, when +net see fit, they will simply add on a spurious amount to your "Other" category to take you perilouslly close to the boundary.

In summary. +net are garbage, lying deceitful conmen who deserve nothing less than to go out of business. Heres hoping that day isnt too far off!
N/A

And its gone all quiet over at +net?

Something wrong? Truth hurt just a little too much?

Thought as much, now its been confirmed!
N/A

Should I perhaps give up my job simply to use the Internet when +net say?

Of course not. Although the whole idea of "Peak Time" is the underlying factor. It's no different from any other type of industry charging for peak time. Telephones, car parks, taxis etc.

they simply manipulate the figures

Then HOW are plus.net going to communicate how things are done? You ask questions and when they come back with answers all that is returned is "rubbish" "lies" and other comments. Your last post is stating that "everything has gone quiet" .... what do you want them to say?