cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When it swaps from peak to off-peak at midnight...

N/A

...does anyone find that it cocks up for a few minutes? DNS seems to go up the wall and websites to not load, however a FTP I use (via an IP) and MSN still work.
8 REPLIES
N/A

I have noticed this for ages as have some others but was told it was probably my fault an something at my end not PN
passer
Grafter

Yes, DNS does go AWOL at midnight. Another example of a seamless interface. Shouldn't imagine it's very high on anybody's priority maintenance list at the moment, though :? Another job for the Ostrich team!
N/A

I get no dns issues at midnight, the only thing I get is a couple of minutes of speeds on downloads fluctuating while they increase.
passer
Grafter

Yes - I get the fluctuating speeds if I'm doing uploads or downloads, but I don't do many of those any more. Also, the P2P client sometimes drops completely.

What I do see, however, is an inability to browse new sites. Existing connections usually remain up. So, if I'm reading the BBC news page across midnight, it remains up. If I try to connect afresh to the BBC news page from my home page, between about 2355 and 0040 (last night!) I get error 404. Some nights it's OK, and some nights the BBC site is OK but Google won't work.

Particularly irritating for me is that I can't get at the Eagle Cam after midnight; this is a streaming live cam, and it just drops around midnight and I can't get back to it. This has been noticeable for the last week or so.
N/A

Glad to see it's not just me - I don't really use it around 4pm so I don't know if it happens during off peak to peak either
annie1

I am seeing the same problem but when it moves from off peak to peak (around 8am).

MSM stays there but P2P drops and I can't open any new webpages.

It started at the end of last week.

The only way around it appears to be logging off and logging back on - a pain if I am downloading at the time.

Annie
passer
Grafter

Annie - peaktime is 4pm till midnight, not 8 am till midnight.

I agree that there is a network event at 8 am as well as at the peaktime switches, though.

I also noticed a pattern change leading to the DNS problems following either the session increases discussed here:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40854&highlight=
or my changeover to Premier Option 1. Unfortunately, both these occurred on the same day for me, so I can't say which is guilty!
N/A

I've found that using PNs DNS as my primary and BT DNS as my secondary seems to solve most problems;

212.159.6.10 PN

195.92.195.94 BT (I think)