cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is an email redirect not a redirect?

Saturn
Grafter

The short answer is all day today!

What's happenning PN? What's wrong (who did what this time)? Any chance of fixing it? Do we have to suffer this for the next month or so while you sort out your inadequate hardware?

Guess what, I'm starting to get a bit peeved with this constant nonsense Evil
10 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

This was raised first thing this morning and the latest Service Status update is here :

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1158235170.htm

My understanding is that the script that networks were running to fix this was almost complete, so your mail redirects should start working shortly. We will update Service Status when this is the case.
Saturn
Grafter

A brief reply Liam.

How about an explanation of why this problem has occurred so soon after the authentication problems and, as I believe, yet more loss of mail.

How about some assurance that the email service will improved dramatically soon, or maybe you don't have confidence that an improvement is likely in the near future. Either way I would like to know and with some degree of accuracy.

PS Does the service status ever go red?
N/A

Liam
I'm sorry to have to say this just after you've started with PN but ...

... we want to know why all these things are happening - not just when you hope to get it fixed!

We've all had a bellyful of mishaps - enough to last a lifetime over the last 3 months - and we just want a quiet life with no more ghastly foul-ups!

This is why I am moving the hosting of my 2 sites away from the unreliability of PlusNet as soon as I can and why I'm using my own hosted domain for my personal emails.
N/A

baytrees,

Where are you moving to? I think we'll be jumping ship too. We've been with PlusNet for years and the service has been very good, but the last two weeks has been terrible. Although there's been problems with email before they've never actually lost anything, but it looks like this time they have ... and they don't answer the phone.
xblade
Grafter

Having the same problem with mails appearing in the wrong account

I thought something strange was happening, as some of the emails appearing in my personal inbox, should have gone to another account. So I am glad others have highlighted this problem as well. Thanks

What is the problem with emails and plusnet? They seem to be continueing to mess things about for customers

Do not have much confidence left in plusnet, especially after all the problems they have been giving customers

What a shame!!

Simon
N/A

@symington
You might like to have a look at this thread where I set out some of my own considerations: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=352544&highlight=#352544
I haven't actually changed i.s.p. - yet.
With a lot of email addresses it's not easy to just move away so I tried to devise a strategy which assisted me and kept things going while giving me portability for the future. Unfortunately it relied on PlusNet's redirections working for the interim period so there's been a bit of a hiccup this week.
Otherwise things are working well so far, but I will only let you know who I'm using via a PM which I'll send just after I submit this.
This isn't because I wish to keep it a secret but because the period I've been running is too short for me to feel comfortable about giving a public recommendation in a forum like this.
I'm using only one of many other registrars and hosting providers mentioned in this forum.
Saturn
Grafter

I'd still quite like a reply to my earlier questions.

What happened and how will it be prevented in the future? How long will we have to put up with email problems?
N/A

The lack of a reply from PlusNet here and from so called Customer Services to support tickets on this problem suggests to me that they haven't a clue what went wrong, how to fix it or how to prevent it happening again.
Saturn
Grafter

Alternatively the real reason is too embarrassing to explain. Either way it's a crock.

And what's with this forum? If it gets much slower it'll stop altogether.
N/A

Well, now we have an answer to what's happening with the email that should have been redirected but instead has been dumped in a blackholed mailbox:

"A small number of our customers (less than 1% of our email customer
base) have chosen to set their default mailbox to be re-directed to a "blackhole". Unfortunately this email cannot be resent due to the fact that it has already been redirected to the "blackhole". "

So the customers chose that and it's their fault and no responsibility of PlusNet's whatsoever! That's not good enough. I raised a support ticket asking if this would happen two days ago and they haven't answered it yet. I also tried to contact them by phone to find out what was happening, but they never answer.

We still don't know why the redirects failed, but as soon as they knew they were failing they could have taken action to prevent the loss of email to blackholed mailboxes, and they obviously didn't. And, because their customers can't get in touch with them any more, we couldn't get them to stop the blackholing until the redirect problem was cleared up.

Unless I get a decent explanation and some compensation for this, I'm moving all our accounts elsewhere. I hope prospective customers of PlusNet read these forums before deciding to sign up!