cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is a Free .co.uk domain name NOT Free ?

silentmonkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

When it’s offered by Plusnet......

Having purposely opted for an account with a free .co.uk domain name I know find I'm being charged £45-00 for the privilege.

The reason? I transferred it in from another provider.

Before transferring my .co.uk domain name from NetNames I asked several time via contacts if I would incur any charges transferring this domain IN. The response was to refer me to the Domain name pages which makes no mention that Transferred in Domain names require renewal charges. All it says is that ADDITIONAL domains would be charged at £45-00.

So come on PlusNet what’s going on here?

Mark Cresswell :x
26 REPLIES
N/A

Wihtout checking, I am sure the pages refer to registering a NEW domain name for free, and not when transfering.

I understand this has been raised before, and it is a quirk of the system that doesn't allow it.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

Due to the internal systems at the moment the free domain can only be used for domains that are registered through ourselves and not for transfers. You were informed correctly that there is no charge for transfering the domain in as this is seperate to the bi-annual renewal charges.

For domains that are transfered in they must be renewed at our standard price of £45+VAT.

These is nothing that we can do about this at present but we are re-writing our domain control system and this may make it possible. I would expect this work to take a while however as it is part of a large development plan so don't expect anything before March / April time.

Regards,
silentmonkey
Rising Star

There is definitely something that can be done about this.

1st Refund my £45-00 which I had not authorised you to take.

2nd If you need to make this charge in the future You need to update your website to make it clear that there will be a renewal charge for domain names transferred in as opposed to those registered by yourselves (What is the difference by the way?)

3) It appears I am now paying for an account with a "Free" .co.uk domain name which I cannot use with my chosen name! (Note to self: don’t forget to downgrade, or even look for a better deal, when the next opportunity arises)

The points I am trying to make here is that, 1) despite me giving you two opportunities to advise me of this charge you failed to do so. See Contact us ticket 8037096 and again 8741906. And 2) Your website regarding domain names is most confusing especially when it comes to what is included "Free" with my account. I know a little about the process but to someone who knows nothing it is a mine field.

Registration, Renewal, Hosting and Transferring all of which may or may not attract a charge depending on your interpretation of what is written or assumed.

Come on PlusNet. When you are in a business where nearly all the communication is written you must make sure there is NO ambiguity.

BTW I have so far made no comments about the efficiency and actual time this process took and me having to remind you of your obligations. It seems that enough has already been written about that in these forums!!!!

Mark Cresswell
:x
csogilvie
Grafter

Don't you pay £1 for a .co.uk domain name - you can opt out of this by pressing the Opt Out button on the Domain Names page at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=domainv2
Community Veteran

Yes you could opt out but but this doesn't get over the fact that you should be able to use the £1-00 for any .co.uk domain even if you bring it in from another host.
It's the system that is wrong and needs to be sorted so that this is allowed.
Currently its all to confusing.
N/A

There is definitely something that can be done about this.

I for one would agree with you there. Can't applies to things like e.g. holding your breath for 30 minutes.
N/A

PlusNet have acknowledged that there is somthign that can be done, only not at this time.

These is nothing that we can do about this at present but we are re-writing our domain control system and this may make it possible. I would expect this work to take a while however as it is part of a large development plan so don't expect anything before March / April time
Community Veteran

PlusNet have acknowledged that there is somthign that can be done, only not at this time.

True but this does not address the issue of the unexpected charge and the posiblities of a refund of the same.

I was considering, transfering in my own domain name, so that it would be 'free' at renewal. After reading the information held on the portal pages I thought the same as Mark Cresswell. The difference being, something niggled at the back of my mind, which had stopped me transfering it in, otherwise I would have been caught out as well.

This is not the first time I have found misleading information on the the PlusNets portal, hence my hesitation.

Although improving the system takes time, updating the portal text to give clear, concise information does not. So it will be interesting to see if anything is done about improving the wording.

David
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

For the record, changing a spelling mistake on the portal currently takes about 2 hours of a developers time. This is due to limitations of our CVS system and is one of the major reasons we are so keen to get our new codebase in place! We also currently have a backlog of work within the content team which means we really can't easily update any portal text - They are still working on some things we needed changing from November!

All .uk domains do need to be renewed every two years as you should have been made aware when you registered the domain with your original host. In this case, I accept that we could be clearer that a transferred in domain would not become an 'Included' domain, however I also don't think this was a natural assumption for you to have made. Many suppliers offer deals on new domain registrations that do not apply to domains registered elsewhere. If you asked this question and got an incorrect reply please forward me the details (ticket number etc) and I will get involved.

There are three things I intend to investigate / push for in relation to the issues you have highlighted:

1. Portal text clarification on what charges are made when in relation to domain registration and renewal.
2. Ensure that the ability to host transferred in domains in the 'included' domain componant we offer with some accounts.
3. Ensure adequate notice is given of our intention to bill for a domain name (You are saying you didn't get this?).

I will raise this with our management team, however based on what you have said, in this specific circumstance you do need to address your individual case with the support team...

Regards,

Ian
silentmonkey
Rising Star

Ian

Thankyou for your comprehensive reply and your proposed actions.

The tickets where I asked the question "who will pay" are 8037096 (Initial request) and 8741904 (Asking again).

I currently have a ticket open on this subject (10095786) in which we seem to be going round in circles.

If you wish to take this further then I suggest you e-mail me rather than use the public forum. I think your previous post answers the general questions raised by this artical.

Many thanks

Mark Cresswell
N/A

I have to agree, the whole situation surrounding domain names is quite confusing. I'm very satisfied with the actual service and pricing structure, but the lack of clarity and transparency is atrocious. It took me hours of digging around on the portal to work out what my domains would actually cost me with Plus Net, and I'm still not 100% clear. For example, I was under the impression that I was liable for the renewal charge on all domains hosted with Plus Net, not just the ones I'd transferred in? Am I to understand that for the domain that I registered with my account, renewal will be free?
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

Both oru "Included" and £1 domain name options provide for free renewal provided the domain is still active on the account. The fundamental problem is that domain names are very complicated and it is exceptionally difficult to provide simple information about such things without actually cutting back the options available to our customers. That said, I know it can be much better!

What we all must recognise is that 'Hosting' a domain can mean many things. The issue is whether we are doing name server only hosting for the domain, or what I would describe as Full hosting, where we are also the admin, billing and techncial contact for the domain name.

Tell me how we could explain this better and we will!

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Hi Ian.

Well, for a start, my domain info. section in the portal advises me when my domains are set to expire. So far so good. However, it also gives an expiry date for the hosting of my domains. What does it mean by this?

Secondly, there is no indication that I can see that renewal is free for the domain registered under my Plus Net account. Might it not be a good idea to mention that, for the sake of clarity? Maybe somewhere it does, but I can't find it.

Also, can I ask you to clarify what you mean by a domain "still being active on an account"?

Cheers.
Ianwild
Grafter

Hiya,

An active domain simply means it is there and hosted. If the domain resolves to a webpage on our system, it's active. If it has been removed from the account it isn't.

The current domain control system is being re-written due to the lack of clarity you have highlighted. Hosting is renewed every year, but is free for the first three domains on a residential account. Renewals are generally done every two years, and if the domain is hosted on a "Included Domain" hosting slot, we cover the renewal charges. Domains are put on "Included Domain" hosting slot when they are registered on an account which has an unused "Included domain" hosting slot. I know it isn't as clear as it should be, but has that explanation helped?

Regards,

Ian