cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When exactly is midnight?

costich
Grafter

When exactly does the free usage on BBYW start? Last night at 00:15 I downloaded a large update, thinking this would be within the free usage time. However, it has clocked up as paid-for on the previous day's account. Please explain how PN's clocks work in this regard, so that I know what to expect.
9 REPLIES
MrToast
Grafter

0015 BST = 2315 UTC....... I wonder?
costich
Grafter

Perhaps someone at PN can remember whether their account monitoring clocks were moved forward at the end of March and operate on BST, or whether they are still on GMT. Also, what is the margin of error?
chrisc
Grafter

The usage operates on BST. How big was the file that you downloaded? How long did it take to download?
costich
Grafter

it was 32 MB. Adobe Acrobat Reader update. Took about a minute. Should have registered as free usage.
chrisc
Grafter

TBH i think that the peak time usage shown for the previous day will be correct. For a few minutes around midnight some small downloads will actually be disregarded to ensure that they are not wrongly classified.

In this instance I think that this will have happened - the peak time usage for the previous day will be correct but the usage won't have been added to your off peak usage either. I certainly don't think that it will have been added to the peak time from the day before.
N/A

@ccotterill

aah you must be new to PN there have always been a problem of recording usage around the change over periods, ask Dave or go here
chrisc
Grafter

I'm not that new! I know there are some issues with VMBU and that is one of the main reasons why some data transfer around changover times will not actually be recorded.

As the CBC servers recording is not 100% realtime then some usage will be dropped around changover time to account for this.
N/A

So when was the policy changed to drop recorded usage around midnight and presumably around 8am? If you look at previous threads users were complaining that free usage was being recorded as paid up to 2 hours after midnight.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Some time last year. Some customers on PAYG were saying that usage just after midnight was recorded as paid usage and vice versa. The reason was that this was happening was because the data comes from BT and it comes in batches rather than every minute so made it difficult to see if an amount of data was before or after midnight. We may get a packet that says XMB was used between 11:55pm and 12:15am for example. Which of course we can't spilt between 11:55pm and midnight and midnight and 12:15am.

In these cases the usage just isn't counted.