cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When all PC's are off.....

N/A

...does a router consume bandwidth, I only ask because I came home today and booted up my PC to find my usage at

8am - 4pm 3.36GB total usage 35.81M

Today, start of my billing period

With bandwidth being so precious I need to conserve it especially at peak-times

How much bandwidth does this portal take must be GB's it's so very slow to load, although the front pages of PlusNet (the pages trying to entice customers) load in an instant.....
9 REPLIES
N/A

8am - 4pm 3.36GB total usage 35.81M

Do you really mean 3.36GB or do you mean MB? Because you say total usage is 35.81M.

I can see a router using 3.36 megs (just) all by itself but not 3.36GB.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

While your router is connected there will be a small amount of data used, both background traffic like virus and port scans bouncing off your firewall and ATM overhead and keep alive traffic keeping the connection up. Over a 24 hour period it can be a few MB's.

Not really sure how much bandwidth the portal uses, probably a couple of hundred KB's per page, maybe less as the images will get cached in your browser.
N/A

Whoops sorry there a typo yes it's MB not GB ........

Sorry for the delay in replying but it just took an age to load these pages, seems the portal is slow, slow, quick, slow

Any news if it will ever be sorted along with the slow and timing out email

How on earth as a router used nearly 36MB from midnight last night to 4pm this afternoon?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

maybe less as the images will get cached in your browser.

Is that true? Non of the images have expiry dates so won't the browser have to fetch them (or at least check the modified date) every time?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Probably, some of the images will be avatars so not just our images.
N/A

Hi,

Not really sure how much bandwidth the portal uses, probably a couple of hundred KB's per page, maybe less as the images will get cached in your browser.

Portal bandwidth usage was my idea of a joke as it really does take an age many times to load.....

So from midnight through to 4pm I could expect to use 36MB without any PC on just my router sync'd
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

36MB is on the higher side of what I would expect to see, but not impossible. The ATM overhead and virus pings and probes usually make up most of the bandwidth but if you ever host a server (web, ftp, game server for example) or use P2P then people will still try and connect to you even if that service is switched off. It can all add up.
N/A

OK Dave thanks for that I'll keep an eye on things

Is there a reason why the portal is slow slow fast slow slow (ie more times very slow loading but on occasions fast) ?

Got other problems ATM reinstalled XP and all fine except it keeps finding new hardware on reboot (USB Device) and keeps asking for the disc etc :shock:

Also XP refuses to restart freezes and I have to press the reset button shuts down OK

Anyone else find PC's waste so much time Tongue

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): I have removed a duplicate post above.]
N/A

What's happened there 2 posts one complete one missing a line?Huh