cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a referral is not a referral?

N/A

I referred a friend of my wife's to PlusNet. She accepted my invitation, but instead of using the link provided on the email, she signed up through the website. This was done several months ago and she is still a paying customer.

Because my wife's friend did not use the "correct" procedure when she signed up, this referral does not count, PlusNet said, but not surprisingly I completely disagree with them.

What do you guys think?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

as stated in the T&Cs

Nomination of a referring user by a new user can only be made at the time of registration and via the normal signup process. We can take no referral details retrospectively, after a signup has been made, whether made by your referral or not.

We reserve the right to refuse to accept a referral at our absolute discretion in line with our Acceptable Use Policies which are available to view from our Legal Stuff section of the Portal website.

IMHO PN are right not to accept a referal as it was not requested via the correct methods (either the link or when you are asked if you were referred by someone at signup
Community Veteran

If both you and the lady raise a ticket in contact us confirming that the refferal is correct they may add this for you. If you both do this and they do not act upon it raise it again here and someone from the PlusNet comms team will be able to advice further.
jagger
Grafter

I got a positive response from PN after a similar incident.

My brother signed up on my advice and saw no method of adding me as a referrer during the process.Again,he didn't use the referral email because it took a couple of months for him to get sorted out with AOL before switching.

We both had to raise contact us tickets and eventually I got my credit.It felt like a bit of a fight though, to be honest.It could,and should be made more user friendly We could be referring noobs to PN.

It seems that the scheme has a few bugs in it that could do with sorting out.I would have moved provider if I hadn't got mine.Just as a matter of principal.

Good luck chasing your 50p a month. Cheesy
Alecto
Grafter

This page says you can make a referral by word of mouth and claim it later.
Why can't you just use that?
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes Geoff but it does also clearly say "make sure they know how to indicate that you referred them" on this page...... :?
Alecto
Grafter

So it does. I did what most people would do and made assumptions without reading it all!!

But Pn have certainly awarded retrospective referrals in the past, and I see no reason why they shouldn't continue to do this for genuine referrals.