cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Will There Be More Bandwidth?

N/A

In principle, MaxDSL is not a bad technology - a real world 5.5Mbps connection is pretty damn usable in 2006. Of course, other parts of the world have much better, higher bandwidth, home broadband. However, we are where we are. But even with MaxDSL, demand is clearly exceeding supply.... which means that for much of the day, it simply isn't possble to get even simple web browsing speeds that approach what MaxDSL can deliver.

So the question is: does anyone know when the appropriate investments will be made, so that we can actually browse the Net at good speeds? Or is the UK destined to be left behind the rest of the world?
20 REPLIES
ady
Grafter

gogo fibre optics ! Sad
Community Veteran

Please sir, can I have some more .... MORE!
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Or even just some!
Firejack
Grafter

There has been some commentary on the situation from ADSLguide.org.uk in recent months about the lack of bandwidth facing most of the UK ISP's.
The short story is our ISP's are waiting for 1.5 million LLU lines to be installed. At this point OFCOM will declare BT's monopoly of the local loop sufficiently weakened to allow better competition. At this point BT will be able to set its own lower prices and this include the BT Centrals that provide the bandwidth to ISPs.
Q1 2007 is looking likely for this to happen.
sophos9
Grafter

We should be asking...

When will more bandwidth be bought by PN instead of shaping the hell out of the insufficient amount that they already have...
shellsong
Grafter

They've probably spent all the money that should have gone to bandwidth on Ellacoyas and Customer Service overtime
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

At this point BT will be able to set its own lower prices and this include the BT Centrals that provide the bandwidth to ISPs.
Q1 2007 is looking likely for this to happen.

I wonder if this will happen. If ISPs buy more central capacity it's going to put more strain on the already creaking exchanges - meaning BT have to spend more money. Leave the prices high and it will slow down the increase on the demands on the BT infrastructure.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Firejack
Grafter

BT want to drop their prices to eliminate the competition again though surely? They have budgeted for the upgrade of every exchange in the country for the rollout of the 21CN so I'm pretty confident we'll see at least a couple of new 622Mbit BT Centrals added to Plus.nets network during the next 12 months.
N/A

I wonder if this will happen. If ISPs buy more central capacity it's going to put more strain on the already creaking exchanges - meaning BT have to spend more money. Leave the prices high and it will slow down the increase on the demands on the BT infrastructure.

Something has to give and my guess is that the BT group will reduce their prices in the next eighteen months or less. That will shake things up...

The BT group will fix the exchanges then.
sophos9
Grafter

They've probably spent all the money that should have gone to bandwidth on Ellacoyas and Customer Service overtime

LMAO Cheesy

Well the money ain't gone on CS training, that's for sure!!
shellsong
Grafter

How come BTw manages to charge ISPs effectively about 40p/GB for bandwidth when webhosts like http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html charge about $1/Terabyte for bandwidth?
N/A

Coz BT are monopolizing,corporate money grabbing Link:censored

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed. as per the Link:rules
Also swear filter avoidance removed
N/A

its just all pants.

this sucks.

Downloading a torrent conncted to 31 seeders and 55 peers.

getting 3.8 - 4.6kB/s

at this rate i may as well report a fault and get the free 0800 dialup enabled, it would be faster than this..

my exchange is showing VP red maybe it will imporve when BT pull their stinky fingers out of their asses and fix it.
csogilvie
Grafter

Isn't bandwidth cheaper in the US? Even hosting providers that are based in the UK charge more than the likes of dreamhost for increased bandwidth.

From an article I read somewhere (could have been on the BBC actually), BT rae stuck with the prices they have until there are 1.5m LLU lines, or April 2007 whichever comes first.