Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats wrong with the usage meter

Couger
Grafter

Im stumped

I got email this morning telling me ive used over 11 gig peak time usage, the thing is ive i only surf during peak time ive not played any online games this month as ive not had time busy doing up new house in the evenings

This is my usage according to plusnet

Linky to image

Take a look at the usage figures
Ive not used 16.9 gig of gaming WHY ive not played any games online this month

Also why 303mb broadband phone, ive got the service activated but no software installed

Ive hardly touched usenet or p2p this month yet your usage tool tells the above lies

Ive had Bandwidth monitor pro installed since January take a look at my PC usage figure compared to what you plusnet are saying ive used

Explanation please plusnet

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Changed [img] tag to [url] as image was stretching the page.
20 REPLIES
The_10th
Grafter

I presume you have raised a ticket or phoned PN to query this?
Couger
Grafter

im now on the phone to them lol ill raise a ticket also

Cheers
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi there,

Are you running a wireless network and if so are you confident it is fully secured?

I can look into the usage on your account but if I'm honest it's very rarely found to be wrong on your account type.

Of course, that's not to say there isn't a problem though. I can't guarantee it but I'll try and get back to you by the end of the day after I've done some digging.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re: Whats wrong with the usage meter

Linky to image

Am I correct to assume that the Bandwidth Monitor Pro reading is showing cumulative usage from the start of your billing month?

If so I take it you're questioning the 91.09GB with our 104.92GB??

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Couger
Grafter

Hi Bob

Yes im running a wireless network and yes its secure using secured key and all default passwords changed

Ive also gone into the wireless setup section and enabled Access control which allows me to define the devices i want connected to the router

So as you can see Bob my router is secure and under attached devices in the router the only pc connected is mine,
I dont use the wireless side of the router for connectivity to the pc im using Ethernet, the only time im using wireless is for my Nintendo Wii which is hardly connected to the internet

I could understand just a couple of gig over bob but theres no way your gonna tell me nothings wrong when my usage figures say 19 gig yet usage tool via PN say ive used over 100 gig

Thats over 80 gig unaccounted for :shock:

Im telling you its not right ive used alot in the past months but this month ive hardly used the pc for gaming / downloading ive been to busy

Cheers Sven
Couger
Grafter

Re: Whats wrong with the usage meter

Linky to image

Am I correct to assume that the Bandwidth Monitor Pro reading is showing cumulative usage from the start of your billing month?

If so I take it you're questioning the 91.09GB with our 104.92GB??

Rgds,

No your looking at it wrong bob

that 91.09 is total usage for January and Febuary combined look at the Febuary Table it states 19.58gb by the way I started counting usage when my biling date arrived

Cheers Sven
rammie1976
Grafter

I sometimes wonder about the accuracy of the VYUM, but as I'm on BB+ and haven't ever gone over the 4GB I've never really bothered about it. :roll:

However if I look at my useage for this month - Sun 4th to Tues 13th it shows Fri 9th & Sun 11th totals as 0kb & 0.61kb respectively. I was online and using my connection both those days, so who knows? :? I've seen that happen before in previous months too.
The_10th
Grafter

I have had very very occasional day with no useage but not complaining! Cheesy
Couger
Grafter

lol maybe ive had your usage dumped on me :lol:

Any update Bob Ive also raised the following ticket

ID: 21312385

Cheers Sven
caribou
Grafter

Love the comment about usage rarely being wrong. We received a refund from Plusnet for our business account because the usage tool was reporting gigs of usage when no-one was in our office. Keep at it. They'll have an engineer investigate it properly.
Couger
Grafter

Love the comment about usage rarely being wrong. We received a refund from Plusnet for our business account because the usage tool was reporting gigs of usage when no-one was in our office. Keep at it. They'll have an engineer investigate it properly.

Ta for that bit of info m8 strengthens my issue with plusnet even more

Bob you said you would have some form of anwser by the end of the day its now approaching 5:30 pm soon

Tick Tock times ticking m8
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Could you let us have a screenshot of the daily figures from that Bandwidth monitor tool?

Looking at the monthly figure for February it looks about right:

19.58GB = 21,023,864,913.92 bytes (I assume it measures 1GB = 1024MB, etc.) which would show as 21.02GB on VMBU (as it measures 1GB=1000MB, etc.) which isn't that far off what VMBU shows since 1st February so I'd like to see what the Januaru figures show to see where the big difference is in the figures.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi,

I have looked into your usage history in detail and am confident that the figures are accurate despite the massive discrepancy between your reporting tools and ours.

Discrepancies can occur with our reporting tools but very rarely with Premier accounts. I personally have never seen a Premier account where this has happened. We have two methods of collecting usage. One method uses the Ellacoyas whilst the other uses our RADIUS CBC database. Both of these systems are independent of each other.

Broadband Plus customers have a dynamic IP and their usage is taken from Ellacoya.
Broadband Premier customers have a static IP and their usage is also taken from Ellacoya.
PAYG customers have their usage taken from the RADIUS database.

Whilst there have in the past been historic problems with dynamic IPs and RADIUS usage, there have been no issue of this nature with static IPs and the Ellacoya usage tables.

Even so I have check both the RADIUS and Ellacoya usage for your account since the 18th January and the figures coincide with each other. As I'm sure you can recognise, the likelihood of two entirely different systems to have miscalculated usage in exactly the same fashion is highly unlikely. To be 100% sure however I have also ensure that your static IP has not been assigned to any other account since your billing period began which it has not.

The fact that there is usage against certain account types (ie. VOIP) does not greatly concern me as these categories are intended only as a guide and traffic can often be identified incorrectly. Given that we have a much more concerning problem regarding the volume of usage, I would advise concentrating on this area first.

Ensure that there is absolutely no chance you could be connecting using these account details on an alternative ADSL enabled line. Have you ever taken a preconfigured modem/router to another address or lent one to a friend or relative.

I've replied to your ticket with some more account specific information that you may not have wanted me to disclose on a public forum.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

N/A

I assume it measures 1GB = 1024MB, etc.

Why do YOU assume this when you expect customers to assume that 1GB = 1000MB etc.?