cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats with the bandwidth usage? - View My Usage is WRONG!!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Right, I've had enough with the VMU facility.

Today I discover that despite not owning a VOIP headset, having a VOIP account, or any other software/hardware that uses voice I have apparently been making VOIP phone calls.

Yet somehow despite several hours of online gaming, I've not been playing games at all.

Would someone from PN care to explain why the numbers appear to be getting fiddled?

I'm getting rather annoyed with the VMU thing because I found some strange readings last month too. It was half way into the month though so I ignored it. This time I'm 3 days into the month and already it has recorded voice calls which have never been made.

Someone better have a good explanation or I'm heading to ofcom and also ispa.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES
___oDiN__
Grafter

i wouldnt panic about the classification of traffic of something its not...it just the system looking the type of traffic ports ect and calling it what it thinks it is.
if your particular game looks like voip traffic then its been deemed as such, hence why its shows no gaming..but voip.

unless you have unusually large usage which you cant justify i wouldnt worry
Community Veteran

If anything you should be more concerned by PlusNet's decimal usage calculations;

How we measure data:
1000 Kilobytes = 1MB (Megabyte), 1000 MB = 1 GB (Gigabyte)

Obviously getting their spin from hard disk manufactures.

Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Yes I have queried that in the past. They are not wrong. Apparently according to wikipedia, the standards and names changed in 1999. Gigabyte can now mean both - 1000Mb OR 1024Mb.

GibiByte however is the new name for a definate 1024Mb.
(Details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibi )

PlusNet have played a crafty game alright- There's no denying that.

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the link:rules]
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ceridwen
Grafter

i wouldnt panic about the classification of traffic of something its not...it just the system looking the type of traffic ports ect and calling it what it thinks it is.
if your particular game looks like voip traffic then its been deemed as such, hence why its shows no gaming..but voip.

I would worry - since PN are now applying additional bandwidth throttling to VOIP traffic which may cause problems with the misidentified traffic.

Matthew
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Re: Whats with the bandwidth usage? - View My Usage is WRONG

Today I discover that despite not owning a VOIP headset, having a VOIP account, or any other software/hardware that uses voice I have apparently been making VOIP phone calls.

Yet somehow despite several hours of online gaming, I've not been playing games at all.

Don't know about the gaming, I'm getting that showing up too, but I have been informed in this thread that MSN voice chat gets logged as VOIP. Don't know if that helps you at all.
simonh
Grafter

I've had 8.86GB attributed to gaming this month, and I've never played an online game in my life, or used VOIP, so it couldn't have been that mis-attributed as gaming. But I'm off soon anyway, so I'm not that bothered.
gweltek
Dabbler

Usage of non available services

I emaild regarding what was obviously an error in my usage with services I have not used or indeed cannot use.
VoIP for one and gaming another.
The reply was that with all these items coming like a stream of letters through your letterbox...some may well be applied
to your account in error !
Well fine...as long as this is not going to mean paying
an excess charge for bandwith I have not used.
A full and thorough scan of my system to ensure that no
trojans or robots had used the machine proved ok to my
satisfaction, so..where is the usage coming from ? :?