cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will ADSL Max do for my 512k connection ?

N/A

I'm currently a long way from the exchange (roughly 9km :shockSmiley, and the BT Checker even lists me as unable to get ADSL, despite a visit from a BT engineer.

However, my Linksys router connects fine at 512k, but my downstream SNR usually < 8 (yes, eight !!).

Don't get me wrong ... I feel very lucky to get broadband this far from the exchamge, but every little helps and 1Mb would be nice !!

Will the new ADSL Max rollout boost my SNR values ?
Will it give me any speed increase ?
Or will I still be too far from the exchange to get anything other than 512k ?

My exchange (MYKMP) shows GREEN for the Max DSL upgrade.

Also, since I'm listed on the BT checker as "unable to get ADSL", will I actually get upgraded ? Or will I get overlooked Cry ?

Thanks
13 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

It won't improve your SNR but you might get a marginal improvement to maybe about 700Kbps-- you're lucky to have been able to connect at all under the old system!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

You will get upgraded to DSLMax as part of the product update, however because of your line length I'd say that there probably won't be much a speed increase. 1Mbps is very optimistic, as shellsong says 700kbps may be possible, but I would be surprised if it was more.
N/A

So is Max DSL really a super version of RADSL, where it will attain the best speed it can according to your line stats ?

If so, how often does it retrain itself ? Every new "dial-up" ?
N/A

If you're still on 512kbs, one thing MaxDSL might be able to do is increase your upload speed to 448kbs, if you have a relatively decent upstream SNR...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yeah, DSLMax, really just adds rate adaption to both upstream and downstream and widens the band which the speeds can rate adapt to 160kbps to 8Mbps for downstream and 64kbps to 448kbps for upstream (up to 832kbps on IPStream Office).

Everytime your modem syncs up it will re-negotiate the sync speed, so if you monitor the sync speed over time it probably won't be unusual to see it fluctuate up and down a little. Should also mean that if you have a problem on the line or bad weather, rather than causing intermittant disconnections it may just sync up a little lower and keep the service stable.
trigat
Grafter

Does that mean our upload speeds are also going to change when we get upgraded?
N/A

Yerp, upto 8mbps downstream and 448kbps upstream (in 64k steps upstream not sure about downstream, I believe). As Dave says, it's rate adaptive, so speeds upstream and downstream will vary on a line per line basis (and even each time you connect).
N/A

Hi, long time plus net user (both business and home) but first time poster. I currently have a 1 Meg conn (which has always been reliable and stable thx) and I was told my line couldn't support more than this. Will I see a speed increase at all? I don't think I live more than 4Km away from my exchange.
N/A

The previous limits for 2mbit/s were based on line loss (effectively related to distance from the exchange). Now they will be based on Signal-to-noise ratio. Your modem may give you a measure of this now. Basically, you need a margin of about 10dB to give reliable service on the speed you are on. If it is significantly higher than this, you should get higher speeds. Although I'm a long way from my exchange, my SNR margin is 27dB so I'm hoping that I will get more than 4Mbit/s - a big improvement over my current 1Mbit/s. Best of luck!
N/A

Tongue Thx for the reply. Well I can't see any SNR data in my router. No worries though as I've always had a very reliable connection and me saying I'm 4KM from the exchange was an over estimation, I hope. Even if I get an average 2Mb I will be very happy. Lets hope it's closer to what you'd like to get... :lol:
N/A

Ask Support to do you a Woosh test. They will be able to tell you exactly what your line loss and SNR margin is.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well I can't see any SNR data in my router.

This page may help you find them.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

OK Cheers guys
Wink