cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the hell is going on with usage limits!

N/A

Well I got an email today that has really p****d me off!
I have only exceeded my bandwidth usage once, a few months ago, and apologised (despite having signed up to 'no need to keep track of your usage')
because I understand the need for usage management.
At that time I was told I had exceeded 5gb so reduced my usage and averaged around 3.5 for the last few months.
Today I get an email saying that I have used nearly 3 gb and restrictions may be put in place if I exceed 3gb. This warning arrives 3 days into my NEW billing period by which time I have exceed 3gb anyway for last period.
At NO TIME have I received any emails informing me of the changes, so I was playing by the OLD rules and being (I thought) quite fair with my usage.
I do not visit this site, other than to check my usage and nowhere on the chart does it mention the new limits.
I can however download anything between midnight and 8am! Whoopee!
Why the hell should I stay away from my bed to use the service.
What next? Are we to be subject to constantly reducing limits?
I have always been pleased with Plus net and tried to be a fair user, but when they treat their customers so poorly they don't deserve to keep them. As soon as I can afford to pay the charges associated with leaving I will be gone.
Plusnet? hah! where are the pluses? perhaps a renaming to p**s poor net would be more appropriate!
12 REPLIES
N/A

See my post

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44182

I rang about a similar problem but can’t get a reply; I have been with P**s-take.net since virtually the beginning

If they don't get their act together then I too am off, after I make sure they understand why, every time I have cause to call them it's the same story

No reply and c**k-up’s with profuse apologies but they don’t seem to get any better on the customer communications sideHuhHuh
N/A

See my post

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44182

I rang about a similar problem but can’t get a reply; I have been with P**s-take.net since virtually the beginning

If they don't get their act together then I too am off, after I make sure they understand why, every time I have cause to call them it's the same story

No reply and c**k-up’s with profuse apologies but they don’t seem to get any better on the customer communications sideHuhHuh
N/A

Have i missed something here, i dont visit the mainsite that often so i dont know if there are changes, but recently i got a email aswell saying i was going to go over my 10gb limit if i carried on the same rate i am atm, needless to say i was shocked, seeing as how after over 2 years with them i've never had any contact from them concerning download limits, so i was a little shocked to say the least.

Have they now slapped on restrictions on our accounts? if this is so then im out of here as I always stuck with plus net package i have due to no stupid limits which would effect me.
FooAtari
Grafter

Yes there is now PEAK (4pm - 12) time limits under the fair usage policy. Throttling is applied mostly to P2P, Usenet and FTP after 10GB until the end of the month.

How plus gaurantees quality Broadband:

>http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml?link=suptop5_bb3

Sustainable Usage
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

I think that any ISP that hasn't already will implement similar policys soon as well because of how some people hog bandwidth during peak usage times with P2P applications and also because how BT charge them. You still have "unlimited" use (up to 100gb i think) outwith peak times. I schedual all my P2P downloads from 12am - 4pm and so far have had little problem with traffic managemen.

I understand why they have to do this, but I think they need to change the way they manage the network...
N/A

Usage meter

Same here, i am now in level 2 management on my account even though i am 3 days into my new billing period!! when do Plusnet decide to reset the meter or is it a random thing?
Mand
Grafter

Hi

Peak time usage allowances have existed in this form since January, and were detailed in the PlusNet Vision email sent to customers in November and December.

The allowances for each product, and details of restrictions applied can be found here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

battison10 you are being affected by a problem with billing periods not being reset, this is currently with our development team and is expected to be resolved shortly.
N/A

Bt

I would not blame plus.net for the bandwidth restrictions -

to my view the problem is BT !

they decided to cap - nantionwide users of broadbands products - not only at plus.net but everywhere - - basically the policy they now apply - - give me your money and bag off !! with your RIDICOLOUS bandwidth allowances !!

what make Matters even worst ! is that bt has even increase the speed of adsl - to most user - so you can reach your max ridicolous allowance ever quicker !!

Well done BT !! thanks for providing the MaxAdsl - - that we can not use becouse:

1 - do not work yet propely -

2 - you do not want to provide the bandwidht !!! - - not even if you pay 39 £ / month - as restriction will still apply .

the next step bt will want to apply to your internet experience is - - if you want to connect - pay 50 pences each time !

this is a considerable BLOW to the Internet users - - as technology out there is really advancing - there is a wealth of data - we use for work - come out recently - but as thing stand now here in UK and thanks to BT - we are disavantaged becouse of this - Ridicolous - dishonest - unfair - bandwidht caps set by BT - -

Also yes - - my 65 £ / month home worker connection still disconnect every 12 hours - after the line was upgraded to Maxadsl - !! make my life really difficolt - and basically nobody want to know about the problem - though plus.net tested my line - the problem is still there - - an guest what ?? as it disconnect always after a certain period of time regorarly i bet BT is behind it and bless me with with a nice hidden New IDEAS to sabotage customers work and lines - - in these days is my problem - no help is available out there whatsoever !!!

I hope bt will take care of its actions - and understand - what they do - and how they are dealing with Internet providers and their customers is simply Wrong !

Speak your voice loud and let bt know - - YOU ARE VERY UNHAPPY HOW THINGS ARE GOING AT THE MOMENT ! and plus.net should also join us in force to let them know - as we are your customers - those that make your WAGE every single Month - - and those who have supported you to put plus.net where it is these days !

Bt is the problem !!

raimondo
N/A

Thats right mandbeckett, hide behind and quote your crap policies which we were emailed last year.
Yes we received your 'vision' email and following it I checked the download limits which were difficult to follow until you got off your backsides and implemented a usage meter after months and months of users having no idea what the limits were or how much they had used.
My argument is that the goalposts have been changed AGAIN without anybody being informed! You cant expect your customers to do all the running and constantly check what new rules have been implemented today.
The service is deteriorating and we are likely to vote with our feet.
I have always understood and accepted your policies but this is just one step too far - we seem to be going backwards instead of forwards.
You guys seem to be living in a cocoon!
N/A

My account is a Premier Option 1 and today I received an email telling me I had gone over the 8gb limit for this month and restrictions will be brought in at 10gb.

This page
say that it should be at 24gb that I get a warning email, I have raised a ticket earlier today but I am yet to get a reply.
JonathanW
Grafter

This page
say that it should be at 24gb that I get a warning email, I have raised a ticket earlier today but I am yet to get a reply.

The page that you've linked there covers the upper thresholds of usage on the Residential accounts. For the lower thresholds, which is what you're about to cross, you need to refer to this page The two sets of thresholds work together on the accounts, giving you the general traffic management, and then harsher restrictions should you actually cross the final SUP threshold.
N/A

I think PN staff should send a dedicated communication again about these restrictions as there seems to be a lack of information apart from the forums. I wonder how many read the generic sales vision thing. There seems to be too many people complaining in the forums and getting unhappy.
N/A

Usage limits and connection drop outs

Posted this to MY Questions after a non helpful reply, just read between the lines -------

Why are you asking me these standard questions again and again about my connection? I DO NOT want a BT engineer to visit me all I want is a simple answerer!

These questions are fruitless at this stage I have been through this before on several occasions with PN, I have had virtually uninterrupted service for nearly a year now, in fact since the last upgrade to my service and guess what you are upgrading again, and guess what I am experiencing problems AGAIN, I asked a simple question are my disconnects related to the upgradeHuhHuhHuh? Simple answerers please!!!!!!!!!!!! I will not complain if this is the case, and no problems, just get on with it I am grateful, please don’t give me war and peace to answerer a simple question!

If they are emphatically NOT then I will answerer the questions you asked.

PLEASE review my case history, you will find that I not only work in this industry as a senior systems consultant, but am also not shy in asking for escalation to management, in fact if your answerer is less than informative then please escalate to your management first as my first response will be to do exactly that.

Furthermore, I disagree with your statement regarding the bandwidth notifications and allocation, just take a look at your own forums; I am not the only one who does not understand what you are doing here

So therefore please explain the following

Your – “How PlusNet guarantees quality broadband”

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

Look at - Broadband Premier (Option1)

Peak-time usage within a billing month Speed of P2P, Usenet, file transfer applications Speed of other Internet activites
Up to 10GB Up to line speed* Up to line speed*
10 - 12.5GB Up to 256Kbps Up to 2Mbps
12.5 - 15GB Up to 128Kbps Up to 1Mbps
15GB+ Blocked Up to 512Kbps

Now look at

For “Broadband Premier (Option1)”

Residential Broadband - sustainable peak-time usage
Product Warning email sent Restrictions applied
Premier Option 1 24GB 30GB

SO WHY AM I RECEIVING AN E-MAIL AT 10GB?

Please also note that I will be shortly installing MRTG to monitor my router traffic as I have no confidence in the results I am seeing from your web stats, I have been out at work since 2PM today and returned to a continually disconnecting service and when I do manage to get connection for a 10 minuets or so I find that I have ramped up 22MB of peak usage, IF I find any significant inconsistency in these stats I will be referring this to the telecommunications ombudsman