Dabbler

What's this email mean? am i going to tiscali land

I recived the same email today aswell.
I checked here and my exchange is tiscali LLU enabled right now. Cheesy
27 REPLIES
robbynudd
Grafter

As you may know, we've been working with a number of broadband network partners to ensure we can continue to provide the best value broadband service available. This email is to let you know that in the future your local telephone exchange could be upgraded to allow us to provide broadband to you through one of these alternative providers.

We expect this to have only a minor impact on your Internet connection, but have provided more details below for your information.

What differences will I notice?
--------------------------------

Our suppliers' networks are provided through a technology known as Local Loop Unbundling or LLU, which means other companies can replace the part that BT Wholesale currently play in connecting your Broadband connection to our network.

Because the suppliers' networks are newer and have more capacity, in most cases this will mean customers receive higher peak-time speeds and an improved level of service. New benefits such as up to 800k upload speeds (BT provide up to 448k) and either up to 8Mb or up to 24Mb* download speeds are provided as standard on these LLU networks.

A number of our customers have raised concerns over these new developments. To answer these, we have provided a detailed FAQ which we hope will address any additional queries that you may have - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/network_suppliers.shtml

Thank you for your continued custom.
Mark64uk
Grafter

Just had the same email and im to unsure weather were going onto LLU as ive just had my MaxDSL upgrade put in.

Mark
robbynudd
Grafter

Just had the same email and im to unsure weather were going onto LLU as ive just had my MaxDSL upgrade put in.

Mark

Hi Mark I was upgraded on the 26th April and my exchange is Sheffield Mosborough

So it may well be going over to the adsl2 I know the exchange is being switched over on the 22nd September 2006 (good to have a sister as chief accountant at BT)
this email states about BT lines but I am with Talk Talk

Stodge
N/A

Plusnet staff - Is this just a general email to all saying you MIGHT be upgraded. Or aimed specifically at those that are likely to be upgraded shortly?
robbynudd
Grafter

UPDATE!!!

Just found this site

http://tiscalillu.freewebpage.org/

tells us our exchange is going over to Tiscali LLU (AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH)

Stodge
N/A

I just got it too, three days after a successful MaxDSL upgrade (man I love seeing a 600kbps download!) Should I opt out?

High Wycombe exchange for info.
N/A

Also had the same e-mail, reckon it has gone out to most Plusnet customers so that they can cover themselves saying you have had a warning of possible LLU service on your line.

My worry is that according to various checkers there is no sign of Tiscali coming to my exchange (Bramahall). Do Tiscali use any other name when setting up LLU at local exchanges. In other words are they linked with any of the other companies such as UK online, Be, Bulldog, Wannadoo etc.?

Due to the very generic nature of the e-mail from Plusnet it makes me think that they may join forces with several LLU operators just to cut costs and move as many people as possible away from BT connections. I reckon during this year we may see a large swing from Plusnet away from using BT and putting as many people on LLU with a variety of operators. If this did happen we could see a widely varying quality of service depending upon which LLU service provider you ended up with. I dread to think what things would be like if we got lumbered with a Carphone Warehouse LLU service!

All speculation on my part but I do have my suspicions, only time will tell if I am worrying unduly.
N/A

My exchange isn't on that list. I still got the email however. Did everyone get it? :?:
retep
Grafter

I had the same e-mail today. I see no benefits (for me anyway) and some disadvantages -

I am on the edge of the 1Mb range, I just get 1Mb, so unlikely to be an improvement for speed. Pay as you go so little if any peak time improvement either.

Getting a third party in the loop (BT are still there) can't help support if there is a problem.

1. Delays in getting Tiscali/BT involved.
2. Image the blame game when something does go wrong.

Unless I get more info I will go for the opt out.

Peter.
robbynudd
Grafter

I have been in touch with Be who say they can supply me a 24mb service as soon as the exchange converts to adsl2 in Sept. Maybe this will do for me as i am 117 metres from exchange :lol:

Stodge
passer
Grafter

@ corryhome
I got the email also, and my exchange is not on that list. I also suspect it's a covering-our-backs mail.

@stodge
Any chance of asking your sister about ADSLMax at Ranmoor, pretty please!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

This email is going out to everyone who is currently on an LLU'd exchange to let you know about LLU and to hopefully answer most questions people have about it (through the linked FAQ).
This isn't saying you are being moved, it;s just to give you some information about the service.
N/A

the carphone warehouse are doing mine! surely plusnet isn't teaming up with them? :lol:
N/A

Thanks Dave, but does the fact that the exchange is LLU enabled mean we will eventully be moved over?