cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the advantage of having a new domain name?

N/A

Hi everyone,

Hope one of you can help.

I've been with F9 for some time now and never had any real problems althought over the last few months there has been an amazing amount of spam. When I saw the offer f a new domain name I was interested but unfortunately don't really unnderstand what it entails.

Hopefully someone will enlighten me, please.

Rod
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi there,

Have you seen the FAQ on the free domains? This should answer any questions you have.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Adam1V
Grafter

not really sure what your asking, but you would purchase the domain name, and then usually get someone to host it (to add your website).
N/A

I too considered this and was a bit confused as to whether there were any advantages but decided not to go for it, particularly as Plusnet did request not to ask for it if it wasn't going to be used. I am just a casual Internet user and don't need the website facility so I didn't think that it was necessary. I suppose it would be nice to have your own e-mail address, but not really essential.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Morning,

basically it would allow you to host an alternative address against your account. By default this would run in parallel with your existing 'virtual domain' (force9.co.uk/f9.co.uk).

eg. you could access your website using either www.username.force9.co.uk or www.domain.co.uk

Likewise emails sent to postamster@domain.co.uk would go to the same place as postmaster@username.force9.co.uk

You may wonder how this benefits those who have been affected by the recent spam problem? In its current format it doesn't, but we will soon be introducing the functionality to turn off email for your virtual domain (the force9.co.uk address). This should then allow you to use your new domain with your existing mailboxes and will theoretically give you a completely spam-free set of addresses.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

You don't need to have a web page on the net.You could use a domain for e-mail address as well

I have got my mine to change my e-mail address. F9 seem to have very long e-mail address i.e
mj@mjroberts.force9.co.uk*
to
m@pudy.co.uk* or you could get
m@pudy.com *
address instead!

Michael
ps *=please note the e-mail address above have been made up
N/A

Thanks for your comments Jill. You are quite right about our e-mail addresses. I have always thought that they are a bit long-winded and would like a simpler one. As it is not necessary to need a domain for a website, and my mailbox is infested with spam, I think that I will change my mind and go for it.