cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the Point in 8MB Broadband?

N/A

I see from the changes to our T&C's that downloading files (such as software updates and database files?) is restricted to 500K.
So, in the future, I can hope to get 8MB rates for email and viewing web pages - wow!
I truely don't see how this will make an impact on my user experience.
Any comments?

Also if I happen to be using a P2P app in the backgound, is my entire connection slowed down to 500K - it appeared so from the site speed test prog - or is PN system clever so I can still surf web pages at 2M or higher?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: What's the Point in 8MB Broadband?

I see from the changes to our T&C's that downloading files (such as software updates and database files?) is restricted to 500K.

Which section says that?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I think you are misunderstanding how the traffic management has been designed. Download speeds aren't restricted to 500kbps, the only time this happens is if you go over 20GB of P2P/FTP/Usenet between 8am and midnight then any more P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic between 8am and midnight is slowed down. All other traffic between 8am and midnight and all traffic overnight is full speed across our network.

The rollout of up to 8Mbps speeds will benefit a lot of customers. The technology with DSL Max will mean that those customers whose lines have been rejected for a faster speed may get a speed boost if that rejection was incorrect, or if for example their line can support 1.5Mbps but not 2Mbps. It will reduce the number of intermittant sync faults caused by lines sync'ing at too fast a speed because they will auto-resync at a lower speed.

It will also all people to do the same things they do today but in less time. In the same way that the 512kbps to 2Mbps rollout last year the increased speeds to up to 8Mbps will do more in this regard. Plus, these faster speeds as well as the ADSL2+ speeds are what are going to allow the emerging technologies like IPTV, BBC IMP, Sky by Broadband, Video on Demand, iTunes, etc. to take off. The development of our managed platform is what will allow the quality of service on these types of application and reduction in the wholesale costing (be that LLU or BT Wholesale) will allow for usage of these applications.
N/A

Scobie,

I think you have mis-read something somewhere.

Downloads for patches and software updates are not limited to 500k at all.
You should have full speed for this on all package types up until off course you cross the threshold of your allowance, in which case yes you will be limited to 512kbps then 256 then 128 and finally 64.

If you use the product you are on as designed then you shouldnt have any problems at all and actually see the benefits of 8mb broadband. If on the other hand you intend the package you are on in a way not designed or intended for that product then yes you will constantly see and be introduced to restrictions, making your experience less enjoyable.

For further info and clarifications there are a couple of links in my sig. Please do take a read and hopefully you will see that all is not what you first imagined.

Regards,
shellsong
Grafter

You need high speeds so you can download well over your limit before PlusNet and their pet Ellacoyas notice you've done it! :lol:
N/A

8mb! They cant even supply 2mb at full speed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I think the confusion is arissing because of statements such as this
There are two types of management at play here, one is across the network as a whole, which is the Platinum/Gold/Silver etc in the first table at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

This is applied across the entire broadband network, and affects all customers. For example at busy times we might want to set aside half the platform for HTTP and divide the rest amongst the other protocols.

Bronze/Silver/Gold etc are the global controls on the traffic across our network, and allows us to provide a good service at busy times.

In addition to this (on Premier at least) is the "clean to X" management. This is done on an individual basis and gives customers an allowance of XGB a month where their traffic for certain applications (P2P, Usenet etc) is delivered at speeds up to their line speed, then this is slowed down gradually after this allowance is exceeded.

Ben Brown
As I understand it this refers to the practice of setting aside a limited amount of bandwidth for P2P/FTP/Usenet which, since it is in the silver queue for Premier and the bronze queue for BB+, means that when the overall bandwidth usage reaches capacity the shaping kicks in to maintain full speed on the gold queue and restricting the bronze and silver queues.
The part which is completely obscure is how the bandwidth is allocated between products.
JonnyF
Grafter

Plus, these faster speeds as well as the ADSL2+ speeds are what are going to allow the emerging technologies like IPTV, BBC IMP, Sky by Broadband, Video on Demand, iTunes, etc. to take off.

Hehe, I cant wait until we see a IPTV,BBC,IMP,SBB,VOD,ITUNES usage "restriction" implemented along side the FTP/P2P/NNTP "restrictions"!

Can just imagine it, if you watch more than 2 films on SBB, and/or 5 series on BBC, in conjunction with 10Gb FTP, and 10 MP3's between the hours of 12:30 and 17:45 monday to thursday, or 12:30 and 21:57 friday to Sunday - you will be sent your first warning email...... you get the picture!?

Jon.
N/A

they wont do that. it WILL NOT be that bad. I really dont want to drive all the way down to sheffield if they do.

With anyluck something simple will be devised. Maybe that unsued elloaycas cue will be used on a pay per usage basis which will make sence.
N/A

jonfitton,

Although I think that restrictions and limits will still be in place I cannot see Plusnet lowering the limit or keeping at the same limit for good. This really would be a shot ( with a cannon ) in the foot and business would decrease so rapidly that even plusnet would wonder if they ever existed.

As mentioned by countless number of people before this sort of technology is the future and certainly the way things will be going. To restrict people so they are unable to make full use of this technology is somewhat daft and irresponsible. I trust Plusnet will up their game and up the limits with the emerging of this technology and offer a great value package as they always have done.

Whilst saying this you will always have those users for whom what is offered simply isnt enough. This I cannot help nor would I expect Plusnet to be able to ( mean people that enjoy downloading the whole of the internet simply cause it has a download button ).

Regards,
N/A

> It will reduce the number of intermittant sync faults caused by lines sync'ing at too fast a speed because they will auto-resync at a lower speed.

So, how often are these faults happening then?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

So, how often are these faults happening then?

They don't happen an awful lot, but the faults guys will deal with examples pretty much everyday where a line has to be downgraded because it won't support the speed it's on.
N/A

lol made me laugh Tongue
N/A

lol made me laugh Tongue

I swear mine runs at 2.2mb.. Shocked

lol
N/A

Hi,
It will also all people to do the same things they do today but in less time.

Yes, I believe they will be put on the traffic management much faster!