Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's other

N/A

What's other

on the VMBU , It's my second higest usage after web and P2P

Gaming is still showing 15.18MB I don't and never have played online games

P2P ia now 119.79MB seems high to me most was off peak so I don't really need to be concerned

Total usage for the month (3 days in) is 406MB
12 REPLIES
N/A

What's other

Other is things not classified as any of the traffic types covered! Wink

Unfortunately PlusNet haven't provided customers or support with a tool to query the actual profiles on our accounts and signatures used on the Ellacoya's so we don't really know what's going on. Then again, that probably wouldn't help clear up the above definition of 'other' as it would still apply.
N/A

What's other

"Other" includes encripted P2P
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What's other

Encrypted P2P will probably end up in other.

Edit: Beaten by seconds!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

What's other

Not to mention pings, traceroutes, SSH, VPN, etc, etc.
More info (sortof) here.
Behind Web and Gaming, most of my traffic is 'Other' and I haven't been using any funky encrypted P2P or anything.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

What's other

Hi,

Other is made up of anything that isn't listed seperately, such as DNS, ping and other network services, encrypted traffic like VPN, Remote Desktop and SSH and anything else that doesn't really fit in anywhere else.
N/A

What's other

How accurate are the profiles, I ask because I never play or never have played online games and I have usage under that and my P2P seems a high proportion of my usage
The other is high for me too.......others and P2P make up over half my usage (227MB)
I mostly browse and email would any of that get classified as other or P2P?Huh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

What's other

Two things to remember are that the data will include overheads as well as what you've downloaded and upload. So if you download a 100MB file over BitTorrent and upload 1:1 (i.e 100MB) then that's 200MB of data, but there will be a few percentage points added to that for the overhead and ack packets, as well as retransmits and packets that fail the hash check.

Could easily be 220MB or more.

The second thing is that there will be a certain amount of background noise bouncing off your firewall which can add on a few MB each day. I've been testing the new VMBU for several weeks and the amount of "rogue data" I've seen in VMBU pretty much ties in with what my firewall sees and captured on my syslog.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

What's other

.. thats peachy Dave - for those of us that already know about traffic excess - but it's not explained anywhere on the PN site (that I could see) for the average Joe .....
N/A

What's other

Two things to remember are that the data will include overheads as well as what you've downloaded and upload. So if you download a 100MB file over BitTorrent and upload 1:1 (i.e 100MB) then that's 200MB of data, but there will be a few percentage points added to that for the overhead and ack packets, as well as retransmits and packets that fail the hash check.there will be a few percentage points added to that for the overhead and ack packets, as well as retransmits and packets that fail the hash check.

Could easily be 220MB or more.

The second thing is that there will be a certain amount of background noise bouncing off your firewall which can add on a few MB each day. I've been testing the new VMBU for several weeks and the amount of "rogue data" I've seen in VMBU pretty much ties in with what my firewall sees and captured on my syslog.

I hav'nt downloaded anywhere near 100MB P2P I downloaded a 3MB file and uploaded only 2MB before I switched my PC off
and as for gaming, I keep say it I have never ever played online games, I hav'nt got any online games

I understand the retransmits and packets failing the hash check etc

But still think those apps are high, I'd have expected web browsing to be my highest usage
Is there a chance that the new VMBU tool is confusing the data??
It's cetainly got my online gaming usage wrong and PlusTalk as I'm still waiting for the free 240..................
N/A

What's other

The new VMBU is very slow at updating, it says I have no peak usage tonight,

Will it always be slow to update, will I have get used to the usage data being a day behind fronm now on, the old VMBU was much faster at updating much less than the two hours PlusNet say and still say on the new VMBU

""The data on this page may not included usage from the last 2 hours. Please bear this in mind if you are close to exceeding your account's allowance."

Over 4hrs and no update on usage as of yetHuh

This will cause problems when nearing peak usage limits and even more problems for those on PAYG
Community Veteran

What's other

I've already been moved to the new option 1 but my vnbu is the same as before. I take it vmbu is the usage webpage.

A
N/A

What's other

Yes VMBU is the usage web page
I get the new VMBU tool but its so very slow updating and the apps split show usage on apps I don't use ie online gaming