cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's all this to do with levels?

benskia
Grafter

I've noticed a couple of posts where people are saying they've been dropped to level such and such as though it's something to do with a speed band they've been limited to.

Also, I got an email from Plusnet today, saying that because I had now succesfully passed my billing period, I will be taken off of Peak Time usage management.

Now, an email would have been nice to tell me that I'd been put on it in the first place. Also, I'm sure I've not gone over their restrictions of 30GB peak AND 100GB off-peak to be in the limited bracket anyway.
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Saturn
Grafter

Interesting. Just took a look at the Traffic Management link for Premier accounts. Not seen that before, so yet another variation/clarification on the terms and conditions (and please don't bother trying to say there's no change - seen, heard, read the book etc).

Interesting to note the title of the page though - "How PlusNet guarantees quality broadband". That's risky, using the term "guarantee". I'll watch this one with interest.

All-in-all, very interesting Wink

One edit to correct typo.
JonathanW
Grafter

Re: What's all this to do with levels?

Now, an email would have been nice to tell me that I'd been put on it in the first place. Also, I'm sure I've not gone over their restrictions of 30GB peak AND 100GB off-peak to be in the limited bracket anyway.

We've only just started sending these emails out, which means that some people are going to get emails like this without realising that they were being managed at all. But, as stated above, this isn't part of the SUP it is instead down to the Clean To usage for Premier accounts.
Saturn
Grafter

How are you (PN) going to guarantee quality Broadband Jon?
JonathanW
Grafter

By bulding things such as the managed broadband platform, and ensuring that the usage of a few people doesn't have an adverse effect on the internet usage of the majority of ppeople.
N/A

I have spent the last half hour searching, I have not yet found a simple easy to understand breakdown of what each of the levels of management entails.

I just got an email out of the blue telling me that I have been put on level 3 management for going over the peak cap. I take a quick look in my "view usage" tool and lo and behold there is no information in there about peak and off peak usage, just one figure for total usage.

I didn't get a warning email or any explaination of the new system being implemented.

To be honest I can't see myself staying with PN, too many examples of the T&C's being changed by stealth. I signed up for an unlimited connection, it stated so explicitly on the adverts and purchase pages.

Can someone from PN please explain in good coherent english what each level of management entails for the end user.
JonathanW
Grafter

For Premier, all of the information is clearly laid out, on a per level basis.

For Plus, there are no set figures, as it is a more fluidly managed package, but this post should contain all of the information that you need.
N/A

That post explains some aspects.

If there are no set limits what does that mean for the user? that PN can decide to stick them on a managed profile without saying you have exceeded this clearly defined limit?

What does level 3 mean for a plus user? why was I not sent a warning email or notification of the changes?

Why can't i view peak and off peak usage in my connection settings?

Time to request a MAC code I feel.
JonathanW
Grafter

There is a guideline of 5gb of peak usage on Plus, with peak times being between 8am and midnight.

You weren't emailed before as those emails have only just started being sent out, and it wasn't possible to retroactivly send them for all other profile changes during the month.

Level three, for a Plus customer, means that your internet traffic will be running slowly during the day, but will then speed back up after midnight.
N/A

You are able to ell people a new policy is coming in before it starts.. am i correct? with a month warning so everyone has a chance, i know these are wacky ideas but i think you should try them out
N/A

So what happened to Peak hours being 4PM to midnight? PN weren't able to manage enough people this way so they made their peak hours last 16 hours or 66% of the day?
trebor4460
Dabbler

Why on earth could Plus net not inform people of the proposed capping before it came into effect to give the people a chance to modify their usage instead of keeping them in the dark and punishing them by restricting there lines for breaking a rule they did not know exists? it beggers belief.
Community Veteran

So what happened to Peak hours being 4PM to midnight? PN weren't able to manage enough people this way so they made their peak hours last 16 hours or 66% of the day?

The SUP peak time is still 4pm -> midnight, only P2P/Usenet/FTP is 8am -> midnight..

See my answer here.
N/A

Well apparently this is only for a short while, when they get the system automated. But,, why not just wait until u can get it automated.. just foolish this way round.. i'm on a 64kbs, at the moment i'm just surfing, and still at 64kbs.. well... grr