cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What plans do PlusNet have?

N/A

I've been looking at what other ISP's have been doing recently....Blueyonder (4Mb @: £19.99 and 10Mb @ £35.00), UKOnline (8Mb @ £29.99) and a number of others ramping up their speeds. I know Plus.Net have been saying for a while now that they're going to be increasing line speeds to 4Mb and 8Mb, but when is all this going to happen and will their be any price increases for the faster speeds? It also seems to me that Plus.Net always seem to be lagging behind somewhat....other ISP's make a "leap" forward offering these faster speeds at reasonable costs while Plus.Net catches up some months later. I'm not complaining about the service Plus.Net offer. I'm on Broadband Premier and the service has always been reliable. Just wish Plus.Net would make a stand and give the other ISP's a sucker punch by making the leap forward first for a change.
12 REPLIES
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

I'm sure somebody who knows more will come along in a minute, but I don't think these speeds are actually available yet - certainly not widely if at all?
They might be advertising them but I think ,like PlusNet, they have to wait on good old BT to provide the systems to actually run them.
I could be wrong but I think that's what I've read so far Smiley
N/A

Re: What plans do PlusNet have?

It also seems to me that Plus.Net always seem to be lagging behind somewhat....other ISP's make a "leap" forward offering these faster speeds at reasonable costs while Plus.Net catches up some months later..

Interesting to note more often to not the catch up is based on lower prices, of which we all know the end result.....
Metalguru
Grafter

This Stuff, posted on ADSL a couple of weeks ago give some of their ideas for the future :-

Original post by Stewart Norriss

Since the beginning of this year the broadband industry as a whole has seen per customer increase in the mean monthly usage.

We've seen these changes too with mean usage per customer across all account types around 7GB per month and for Premier customers around 9GB per month. Around 90% of our customers use less than 10GB per month, in part this is down to huge growth in the number of Broadband Plus customers who are generally light users. At the same time though we've seen a relatively small growth in Broadband Premier customers, an increase of just 4% since May, and yet usage of Peer-2-Peer on Premier in the same time period has increased by around 100%. In May the average of amount of P2P traffic on Premier was 500Mbps today the figure is around an average of 1Gbps. In a world of exponential growth of one type of traffic you have to deal with the issue – all ISPs are going to have to deal with this in one way or another.

For the most part, where traffic is seeing a decrease in speed on our network it is down to a level of unsustainable usage. This usage makes up a considerable percentage of the 1Gbps of P2P traffic currently being seen on Premier accounts. It is our intention to further deal with this issue in the next few days.

The bulk regrade programme, which has put more people on the faster 1 and 2Mbps speeds has not seen an increase in latency sensitive applications, but has seen a huge upsurge in the heavy download protocols such as Peer-2-Peer. This has seen the need for traffic management and prioritisation in order for us to deliver the applications to people in the on demand manner which broadband is designed for. This has also been the basis of the management of the high utilization customers as we need to ensure that a very few customers do not impact the way the product is delivered to the entire userbase.

Since the start of the bulk regrade programme BT Wholesale have seen a huge increase in the volume of ADSL faults across all ISP's. In some cases this has led to delays at BT's side in responding to and resolving these faults. BT Wholesale are taking steps to return to normal turn around times and to prevent some faults (such as early life failures on 2Mbps by decreasing the limits) from occuring.

The increase in faults has also been the main reason for the delays with the rolling out the regrades to our (and other ISP's) customers. Tens of thousands of our customers have already seen the speed increase, the majority of the remaining regrades are scheduled to be completed by the end of October. Those customers who migrated to us after the regrades were done at their exchange will be mopped up in November.

As part of the bulk regrade programme, as well as for the forthcoming MaxDSL products, offering speeds up to 8Mbps, BT Wholesale have upsized the Virtual Paths (VP's) from their exchanges, however on a per user basis capacity has actually been reduced. BT have always sold IPStream Home on a 50:1 basis, however it's never actually been provisioned at this level of contention. With the increase in speeds they are now provisioning ADSL services nearer this contention ratio and people on the higher speeds may notice bigger speed decrease. This means that IPStream in general is not running at the previous levels over capacity as it had been, some customers with different ISP's have already seen the effects of this and have also noticed the difference between IPStream Office and IPStream Home. A 10% slowdown on 500kbps is 50kbps, a 10% slowdown on 2Mbps is 200kbps, a much more noticeable figure.

We believe that as P2P usage increases every ISP is going to have to manage their traffic in a similar manner to us and to prioritise the latency sensitive applications as we are doing too. By not taking these measures an ISP will run the risk of either seeing their costs spiral out of control, or they will have a traffic free-for-all which will benefit no-one.

Stewart Norriss
PlusNet Plusnet Comms Team Leader

The original is here : -

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=2030758&page=0&view=expanded&...
N/A

Re: What plans do PlusNet have?

Just wish Plus.Net would make a stand and give the other ISP's a sucker punch by making the leap forward first for a change.

I don't think they will until they can see that they need to make a total change to their business model.

They have discovered that "unlimited" connections at high speed are not financially sustainable given their network capacity, but have chosen to use SUP to control this. Result: confusion and angst.

Why not change to a bandwidth pricing model? Light users could benefit from a price reduction, and heavy users would have to pay up the true cost of what they do. Absolutely understandable by users who are used to paying metered charges for gas and electricity for instance.

A big gamble to be the first to do this, but it must come eventually. Bandwidth is not infinite.
N/A

Yes,why not, a monthly usage charge and a minute or so peak charge, similar to industrial electricity charges. A brave ISP to do that! :lol:
N/A

I like the way eclipse use the flex option.

you can sign up for a 512k connection and if at anytime you want a bit more speed you can flex upto 1meg at 5p per hour of upto 2meg for 10p per hour,

Metronet do a most of their packages with a moveable usage allowance..ie for the Paygoextra £22.99 you get 90gig pm anything overthat you pay 0.235p a meg upto 96gig over 96gig you pay no more it becomes unlimited, because by then you would have paid £38.75

Yet to find a isp that does both would be real good to pay for a lower speed for just surfing and e-mail and the up your speed for the time it takes you to d/l from usnet or p2p etc..

thxs
Firejack
Grafter

In recent times Plus.net seem to of allied themselves with BT and this is not a good thing to do. From the various technology forums you can see how small BT is aiming in terms of its network. They are placing profit over the good of the UK Internet infrastructure. To be expected from a small minded, selfish and prehistoric organization like BT though.
The insider information I've had surrounding the Max DSL trials BT has been running suggest its not going to widely available anytime soon, if ever. By the time BT are ready to deploy we will have become accustom to ADSL2 services from other supplies.
As always I'm hoping a miracle will happen and BT will die a horrible death in the business world and go bankrupt so we can start getting some decent infrastructure install before this country finds its falling further and further behind country's like South Korea, Sweden and places like Hong Kong.
BT needs to start asking its customers what we really want and that's not 8 Mbit, 10 .. 24... 100... we need Gigabit connections. Just imagine being able to pull down that satellite dish, cut the phoneline, throw out your DAB radio, DVB Turner and have everything delivered on-demand by the Internet.

Aaaaahhhh its a nice dream. Cool
N/A

PlusNet may be a bit behind, but they're cautious in their decisions -- with careful research to protect the company, their customers and to continue providing a stable & solid service. They're also quite transparent in their business.

That's the reason I'd rather stay with PlusNet than any other ISP.

Some other ISPs may take risks where changes to their products would result in speed degrades, etc. thus causing longer waiting times for telephone support, which they hadn't anticipated... :roll:
N/A

PlusNet may be a bit behind, but they're cautious in their decisions -- with careful research to protect the company, their customers and to continue providing a stable & solid service. They're also quite transparent in their business.

Some other ISPs may take risks where changes to their products would result in speed degrades, etc. thus causing longer waiting times for telephone support, which they hadn't anticipated... :roll:

Very true Smiley
Metalguru
Grafter

IMHO a reality check is needed here.

PlusNet may be a bit behind.......

Agreed

............. cautious in their decisions ............

Agreed

........ careful research to protect ........ their customers..........

Some, probably most ........... but not all (and this is more that just one or two).

..........and to continue providing a stable & solid service........

To some probably most ........... but not all (not just one or two)
(tell that to those that have had received their recent e mail).

......... They're also quite transparent in their business.........

Strongly Disagree.

..........That's the reason I'd rather stay with PlusNet than any other ISP.........

Not me I'm affraid ......... I'm taking to the life boats.

Now that sounds like +net.
N/A

You having a laugh there.......

with careful research to protect the company

If they had done that they would not be in the mess they are now with users jumping ship and screaming about there treatment of customers....

They're also quite transparent in their business.

Yea, look after the shareholders and stuff the people who pay.....
N/A

According to the latest BT information, the >2Mb products are still coming along.

They have just updated some handbooks regarding the services, with the results of the trials.

I expect to hear somethign within 2 weeks.