Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What on Earth is Going on

Redviper
Grafter

My Connection is so slow!!!!

Its taken me over 5 min, to get to this page, to post this message, - Dial up would have been quicker!!

my connection is also constantly dropping just checked the router and its displaying ASLD connection (green light) but RED for internet connection

This is shocking - answers please PN!!
12 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

When the connection drops does the ADSL light stay green or start flashing? How often is it dropping and when did it start? There could be a few causes of this, from your modem/equipment to the line, the BT exchange or us but it's difficult to give a definative answer.

If it is losing sync then the following may help:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

If it isn't, are you able to try with a different modem/router?
Redviper
Grafter

Hi

The connection will drop randomly, and the last time I ran downstairs to check the router ADSL light was/is a solid green, and the Internet light was a solid red, cured by rebooting the router, - but when I am connected browsing speeds are sooo slow, that I may as well be on Dial-up!

Filters are all connected ok,

i dont really want to have to dig out my USB modem out - its just that everone else is having speed problems on here, I am too, its honestly really like dial up!
N/A

its honestly really like dial up!

I really can sympathise with you Stephen.

Just ran the PN speed tool and it returned 188kbps.

Not good enough.

Seriously thinking about a change to be honest.
--
Regards
Ripperoo
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

i dont really want to have to dig out my USB modem out - its just that everone else is having speed problems on here, I am too, its honestly really like dial up!

If you can try the USB modem it would be really helpful, yes there are reports of slow speeds, but I'm not seeing dropped connections so would suspect that the problem you are seeing is something specific to your connection, so trying the USB will rule out the hardware.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

If you can try the USB modem it would be really helpful, yes there are reports of slow speeds, but I'm not seeing dropped connections so would suspect that the problem you are seeing is something specific to your connection, so trying the USB will rule out the hardware.

Theres an awful lot of people suffering from simultaneous hardware problems tonight Dave.....
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

You would actually be amazed at the figures...

But in more seriousness, looking at the different threads it's easy to spot some of the problems and harder for others.

stephenwhite here in this thread is reporting that the connection is dropping as well as the speeds, which would lead me to believe that the problem wasn't related to the speed problems that others are seeing. Because it's difficult to determine exactly where the problem is, the alternate modem will easily either rule out the hardware (or show it is, if the USB modem is fine).

From some of the other posts, a couple of the speed problems are down to either the BRAS speed profile at the exchange decreasing, and it looks like a couple of the others are exchange side contention. Not saying that this is the case in each one, but that each case needs looking at individually as they may be linked, they may be seperate and that needs determining so the right course of action can be taken. If the problem is BRAS related then you need to find out what caused the sync drop, if it's exchange contention, is it already known about or does it need raising to BT to look into or is it because the customers using the product outside the product design and needs to upgrade.
N/A

Dave, as many people have reported speed way below the BT fault threshold, and if PN are convinced its nothing to do with them, isn't it about time BT were contacted to see it they can shed some light on the situation?

EDIT... Just ran a speedtest and everything is back to full whack..just like that. No gradual increase over time. It's just like when you first introduced the system for adding ports for games, when the shocking latency would instantly go back to normal at around 10.30 ish.

Does this not point to one or two things..Ellacoya's or incorrect profiles on users accounts?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If the BT speedtest shows the same then each one needs raising to BT as an individual fault, any major outages on BT's network should get flagged up here:

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

if they aren't then we have to follow the faults process for each fault individually.
N/A

Opps..you posted before i edited my post.
What about the point i just raised in my edit?

PS, thanks for clarification on the BT fault reporting.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

As far as I know nothing changed on the network, so it may be that it's just people logging off or they may have been a fault at the exchange or somewhere in the BT network that was fixed but didn't get flagged for some reason.. Tough to say really. If it happens again perhaps you may want to switch over to PAYG and see if that makes a difference.
N/A

If it happens again perhaps you may want to switch over to PAYG and see if that makes a difference.

Sorry but i'm LMAO at that one....is PAYG the latest buzzword at PN?
Why on earth would i want to change....BB+ is absolutely fine when it's working, and my usage habbits have changed sooo much since the early days with you that im WELL within the product design.Anyhow i saw complaints about tonights speed issues from a PAYG user.
The last 5 days since we got switched back to a fixed rate service has been excellent. Solid connection and full speed day and night. It is only tonight that is all just dropped to its knees around 4.00 and made a miraculous instant recovery around 10.30
I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.
Redviper
Grafter

Sorry for the delay in replying, and thanks to everyone who has replied but i got fed up with the slow speeds, and went to bed.

Ill give the USB modem a go, but i generally to get Drop outs anyway, and im going to try my USB when i finf my 5 meter extension cable, to trail up the stairs - but even when it does drop out the speeds should not be this slow