cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What modem / router comes with Option 1?

N/A

Hi,

I have recently applied for the basic £9.99 option for my mum. I have also bought her a new computer that comes with Vista. This is a surprise for her birthday - but having read around the setup guides I am a little worried that the free router / modem may not work with Vista when it all arrives.

My order details state that I get a 'Single Port Router'. Is this a USB only ADSL modem or a single port ethernet router? My understanding is a USB router will not work with Vista because of driver issues but I should be able to connect up via ethernet.

Is my understanding correct and does anybody know if I get an ethernet port on the standard free F9 router I get with the cheap broadband option?

Thanks in advance

Mark Freeman
9 REPLIES
N/A

Have found the answer...

1-Port Router (supports USB)

* Suitable for beginners or experts
* Includes 1x USB and 1x Ethernet port
* Quick and easy to install
* Available free with all Broadband Your Way Options (Terms & Conditions apply)
* Suitable for use with Mac OS9.1 and above

Apologies for the use of bandwidth... Smiley
hr176

If it's the same as mine its a BT Voyager 210. Very simple to set up.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi there,

Yes, it should be the Voyager 210.
They are quite easy to set up and can be used via ethernet so there should not be a problem with Vista
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Thanks all for the quick response.
N/A

Please note this router is NOT free. You will be locked in to a long contract. Try to leave BT-F9 will fine you.

If I was you I would buy my own router and sign up for a monthly contract only.

Get one that wireless to gives you more options and at least 4 port.

Michael
ps what i am trying to say is that you have other options rather than the free router one
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

The 1-port router is ideal for the original poster's BBYW package and needs; I see no reason why the user should want to leave within the first 12 months so buying her own router is an unnecessary expense. Activation and the router have to be paid for if the user leaves within 12 months but the contract is only 1 month, it is incorrect to say users are tied into a long contract.

David
David
N/A

The 1-port router is ideal for the original poster's BBYW package and needs; I see no reason why the user should want to leave within the first 12 months so buying her own router is an unnecessary expense. Activation and the router have to be paid for if the user leaves within 12 months but the contract is only 1 month, it is incorrect to say users are tied into a long contract.

David

Please read what I put

what i am trying to say is that you have other options rather than the free router one

Michael
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Please read what I put

what i am trying to say is that you have other options rather than the free router one

Michael

I can confirm I did read what you had put. I can also confirm I stand by every word in my post which you quoted though didn't comment on.

David
David
N/A

Cheers for advice people.

All set up nice and easy last night - my mum is now online without the faff and delay and lack of speed of a dial up which is the important bit.

Really liking the usage tracker on this website also. Easy to use and the update is with minimal delay.

I will be looking at a better modem / hub / router at some point if we need to get other PCs in the house onto the internet.

I realise we are locked in for 12 months but there are very few (any?) providers that really don't have you on some kind of contract. Even the old Virgin 'no contract' would charge you to get out before 12 months.

Thanks again

Mark F