cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is occuring here! Connection slowed to a crawl

N/A

Started downloading a large file this morning.

At 08:00 on a sunday morning I expect things to be fairly quite. Initial speed was good - estimated download time 6 hours @ 42kB/s.

Now the estimated time to download has risen to 60 hours currently running @ 5kB/s - that's dial up speed.

So will someone explain what has happened.

The software I am using is mIRC (DCC transfer)

Router is sync'ed at 3776kb/s downstream

Did a BT speedtest this morning and got;

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3776 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1439 kbps

PlusNet stable rate page says;

Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 1500 Kbps

Exchange info' from plusnet usertools is;

Virtual paths: Red

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 03 Nov 06

Record last updated: 30 Oct 06

And while I have been typing the estimated download time has increased to 87 hours from the original 6 hours.

What is happening? My broadband connection is not fit for purpose, do I have any come back under my rights as a consumer?

At 6 hours the download would all have been over and done with before peak time. (now saying 123 hours at 2.8k) thats 5 and a bit days!

What is to be done!
13 REPLIES
N/A

OK I had to give up on the download.

Average speed had dropped to 2.5k.

What happened?
How come I had an acceptable download speed at 08:00 this morning and by 10:30 it had dropped to less than dial up speed?

Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms.

I have not changed my broadband usage. This is how I have always used my connection. Until recently it has worked fine - now it doesn't!
N/A

Plus Net will shift the blame to BT's exchange being RED.
Plus Net in my opinion have destroyed a lot of customer relations over the last few weeks.
They should have been holding BT to account.
I got my Mac Key this morning, feels weird to be changing ISP's after all these years.
bootletip
Grafter

speed, replies etc

I have beeen getting all the same problems - I am on a 2.2mg connection for which I pay £27.00pm approx.

dread attempting to log in, very rare nowaday that I make it first time -

I am a 10 minute walk from the exchange. swamped with spam - which seems to be the only mail getting through.

however - I did get my mac key and am now in the process of changing over - the new ISP checked my line and said ' wow it has come back as being able to support upto 13.mg!!!!' I too expressed some amazement at the thought of a potential 13mg -

I am now waiting for the new connection to go live - with luck this should take place in the middle of the month.

I too am very sad at the thought of leaving PN, but feel I have waited for long enough.

have you tried looking at pn's webcams - I have yet to see all the desks occupied.
N/A

@Akorol

Can I ask who you are moving to and why you picked them?

I am not sure I want the hassle of changing ISP but I do want to be able to use the internet in the manner to which I am accustomed.

At the moment I can't. I am paying for premier 1 service but somethiing has changed very drastically in the past few weeks. My download stats are not excessive 11 Gb in September, 13Gb last month that's split 50 - 50 into peak and off peak hours. Not bad considering we have 4 PCs in the house.

This weekend I have not been able to get sufficient speed to complete a download. I have abandoned 3 downloads because the speed dropped to rediculously low speeds.
bootletip
Grafter

change of direction

I have read all the boards and all isp's that I can afford seem to have a problem of one sort or another.

so took a deep breath and rang 'sky' as I am registered with their special needs section, I don't have to listen to all the options - the phone answered promptly, and was transferred to the broadband section - again very prompt. very polite and helpful agent, took the details - we discussed the various 3 options in some depth including problems with spam etc. he did not try any hard sell, when stuck for answers he asked if I would wait and he would ask a colleague. I asked how they respond to peole who have almost reached the top of their download limit - he said they wait to see if it happens more than once, then they write and failing that they slow down the connection etc.

I do accept that I may be jumping out of the fire and into the pan - but what else can we do
N/A

Yep it's getting worse.

Just after the ellocoya 'upgrade', peak time P2P speeds deteriorated to around 20-30kb/sec, then for around a week they shot up to 80%-100% the bandwidth my line supported.
But now for the past week i'd say, I struggle to get over 8kb/sec between the hours of 1pm - 2.30am, so i'm finding all there is to do online is watch videos on youtube Sad
N/A

Surely this is stupid, Plusnet will loose all its customers by messing about with their bandwidth. All i keep reading is that everyone is leaving.

Not the best business model?

today has been stupidly slow, I have to even wait for google's image on their homepage to load.

and p2p - OMG 8 years ago my 28.8K was getting more bandwidth.

Sort it out plus net, this is dumb

Neehar
N/A

The problem is, plusnet tried to grow too fast, too quickly...they built up a massive userbase without being able to support it. a common fault with alot of ISP's.

I don't know if people remember but the first step was the false advertising. I signed upto Broadband Premier after reading on it's front page that it is 'unlimited', alot of people fell into this trap, and got stuck with the 30GB limit and the 12month contract.

Then came getting rid of the customers 'abusing' their bandwidth, downloading upward of 100GB p/month. This really didn't gain them anything but a bad name and alot of bad publicity. And as a direct result more people started leaving.

I stuck in there, in the hope things would improve...

Then along came the extreme 'ellocoya' throttling - with every subsiquent upgrade they brought out, more throttling occured, nothing improves...it just gets worse. It's now at the point where P2P speeds are sub-dialup for around 15-16 hours of the day (which is pretty much the £14.99 Broadband Plus account)

It's attempt was to limit P2P speeds, and as a direct result of that improve http, but it seems to be putting a huge strain on all aspects of the internet for PN users, some can't even get a connection until x amount of retries!

Personally, I think, this is the beginning of the end for PN...if this 'ellocoya' era doesn't end or drastically improve, more and more people will come to the end of their tethers and leave. I'm nearing mine now.

But...it's only a matter of time before it's customer base is taken over by BT in my opinion. And as far as I know, it's law to give you the choice to jump ship without paying a migration fee. Am I right?
N/A

Not one normally to complain but something is defintely not quite right with connections today. All web pages are loading really sluggishly and downloads very slow.

My connection is normally very reliable but not happy to day!. See there are no service annoucements so wonder if it is just me! Will monitor for next few days and wait and see. Was thinking about a move with all the messing on here lately this may just push me into action.
N/A

Personally, I think, this is the beginning of the end for PN...if this 'ellocoya' era doesn't end or drastically improve, more and more people will come to the end of their tethers and leave. I'm nearing mine now.

I couldn't agree more.

Not one normally to complain but something is defintely not quite right with connections today. All web pages are loading really sluggishly and downloads very slow

Again this has been my experience today. I have abandoned attempting to download anything. The webpages I visit on a regular basis seem slow to load. I am having to hit the refresh button to get the pages to fully load. This is even on the plusnet portal.

There's something amiss but as you say no service announcement.

I am becoming an unhappy customer. After 3 and a bit years I am seriously thinking of finding another ISP. This is a great shame, until recently I have been very happy with the service and had no hesitation to recommend PlusNet.

PlusNet - Level with us, be honest with the customers;
What is the problem?
When will it improve?
Is the bandwidth shaping causing the problems we have seen today?

I don't want to change my ISP, I don't need the hassle. The hassle I am getting from my family because of the poor connectivity is soon going to outweigh the hassle it takes to change ISP. PLease do something or at least let us know what the problem is so I can make a sensible grown up decision on whether to stay or look for another supplier.

IF this is a blip fine but acknowledge there is a problem!
N/A

i have been looking after a friends house whilst he's on holiday, and have had to use his Tiscali connection. I was dreading this as you can imagine.
What have i found? Downloads at great speed, Lower pings than my Plus account, smooth and reliable streaming and no disconnects in 5 days.
When Plusnets service is FAR worse than Tiscalis you know its time to jump.
I can only imagine what kind of service a decent ISP is providing.
Guess ill find out soon.
Im just hoping this takeover happens soon so we can leave without any stupid charges.
N/A

My Point proved

And as if to prove a point about browsing being a problem.

Look at this screen grab

There is a problem somewhere.

I had to hit refresh twice to get this page to load.
N/A

The connection does seem to stall alot as of late.
If i'm loading a video on youtube, dailymotion, or music on myspace, it'll get a certain way through and then stop for around 30 seconds, then it'll just suddenly kick in again.

There is obviously a problem, but as i've noticed, it can take weeks for PN to do anything about it, or even just announce that they are aware of it