Did you mean: 

What is my conection Speed

N/A

My Router shows connected at 100Mbps
Plusnet speed test reports 184.62 Mbps
therefore can download from server @ 23.08 MB/sec
I'm on a 2Mb service
My first impression is that my router is reporting a slower speed than plusnet's speed test is that correct?
Do I neeed to do anything to increase my speed?
Is there a conflict in the speeds shown?
Cheers
Homely.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

None of the figures you have quoted are correct for a 2Mbits/second broadband connection so I suspect you are looking at the wrong information.

100MBs will be your local Ethernet network speed and not the speed of your ADSL connection.

184.62Mbs on a 2Mbs connection - nope, not possible. I think you meant 1.8462Mbs or 1846.2Kbs which is a very good speed for a 2Mbs connection.

23MB (Bytes)/sec - again not possible on a 2Mbit/s connection. I think you mean 230KB/s which again is very good for a 2Mbs connection.

What router are you using and where are you getting all the figures from?
shellsong
Grafter

Are you sure you haven't misread Kbs andKBs as Mbs and MBs on the PlusNet Speedtest?
N/A

Plusnet speed test gives the following information
"Your current speed is 91.95Mbps"
"Which means you can download at 11.48MB/sec from our servers"
also shown is 94160.9kbps
Router shows
downstream 2272kbps and upstream 288kbps - which has been consistant since I started taking an interest in my speed.
Capital letters copied as shown on the speed test.

Quote 100MBs will be your local Ethernet network speed and not the speed of your ADSL connection" Unquote. I agree and see where I went wrong in giving that figure.
Cheers
Homely
Community Veteran

Turn off your software firewall and try the speedtest again as it is clearly wrong. Also if the URL starts with https:// then remove the s so it uses an http:// address and thus does not try to encrypt the data.

Are you running Norton by any chance? That is known to be incompatible with the PN speedtest and must be disabled for it to run correctly.

Also try the ADSLguide speedtest which may work better.
N/A

did two tests on the site you suggested and another at plusnet.
also turned off download and peerguardian for these tests

With Norton enabled
Downstream 1689 Kbps (211.1 KB/sec) 1824 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 207 Kbps (25.9 KB/sec) 223 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Without Norton
Downstream 1820 Kbps (227.5 KB/sec) 1965 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 213 Kbps (26.6 KB/sec) 230 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Plusnet results 9with Norton turned off
Your current speed is:

1.83 Mbps

Which means you can download at 234.8 KB/sec. from our servers.

53.3 kbps 56k Dial Up
64 kbps ISDN 1 Channel
128 kbps ISDN Dual Channel
460 kbps ADSL 500
920 kbps ADSL 1000
1840 kbps ADSL 2000
1878.4 kbps YOU

PS
If there is a fault with my speeds and it can be sorted then I may have asked for my MAC key too soon!! Shockedops:
N/A

There is nothing wrong with your speeds from what I can see.
Infact you have very good readings for a 2Mb line.

Regards,
N/A

Well if those speeds arw fine then something else is wrong as I'm downloading at under 20kbs and uploading will not go above 5kbs

Cheers
Homely
___oDiN__
Grafter

what is your monthly usage? are you aware of the SUP and throttles now in place on the network?

its possible you have been placed on a profile or your bandwith quota hasnt been reset as the scripts are run manually and are a joke
Community Veteran

Well if those speeds arw fine then something else is wrong as I'm downloading at under 20kbs and uploading will not go above 5kbs

Downloading and uploading what? via P2P, FTP, usenet or HTTP?

Traffic shaping i.e. speed reductions are applied to accounts that exceed certain quotas as detailed in the vision announcement so if you have used yo connection a lot, you may be subject to those restrictions being applied during peak periods.

There are loads of threads discussing this very subject, so I suggest to read some of those and comment on your findings there as well.
N/A

Traffic shaping i.e. speed reductions are applied to accounts that exceed certain quotas as detailed in the vision announcement so if you have used yo connection a lot, you may be subject to those restrictions being applied during peak periods. I've read and know all about those and I've not gone above the SUP or FUP during peak or off peak. not only that my billing period ended on 30/12/005

There are loads of threads discussing this very subject, so I suggest to read some of those and comment on your findings there as well.read them and seen the out comes. So no poiont me adding to them
But thanks for your comments