cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when Mr Engineer comes to visit?

Snarf
Grafter

How long does it take?
What does he test?
Anything I should look out for or ask?

I take it that if he tests and finds no problems I have to hand over a big fat cheque to him.

However if he shows up that my line isn't really good enough for the speed I'm getting (BT Wholesale say 1 meg for my line although the street is supposed to get 3 meg) can I get shifted back down to a fixed 1 meg line? I currently connect at around 1.5 meg though it's not always stable and has some packet errors, previously on a 1 meg line it was pretty good. I've been told in my ticket that I have to pay to get off of MaxDSL - hmm great choice pay to go back down to a fixed line, or should I just migrate elsewhere to a package I want (usually with the new customer benefits).
49 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi

How long it takes, what he tests etc will depend on the type of fault.

If he tests and finds no fault we will be charged by BT Wholesale, and in turn would pass this charge onto you.

If he determines that you will never get more than a decent 1MB approx connection we can place you on a fixed rate product for free, but this is only done as a result of a fault report from BT. The reason for this is that we are charged to move you back.
N/A

mandbeckett. seeing as you have found time to answer this persons question,can you please answer why i and untold other people on this forum cant play online games anymore?
Snarf
Grafter

Not to get into an argument here, and I understand the problems with playing online games (I've had similar), but my question was of a more unique nature and probably easier to answer.

Thanks Mand for the answer, just hoping he can find a fault now, or point me in the right direction for fixing something.
N/A

Don't forget, they normally want a cup of tea too.
Helps with the fault finding.
Wink
Mand
Grafter

Yeah, it's always worth making them a cuppa and being extra nice, quite a few people have garnered a shiny new master socket and some extra info that might not be offered otherwise this way. Wink
Community Veteran

Speaking as an engineer all through not a BT engineer (or even in the same industry) a biscuit always goes down well. Wink

Chilly
Snarf
Grafter

Have biscuits and tea and coffee, just need to make sure the milk is around Wink

Mand (or any other PN person), if you've got time, could you please woosh test my line and post the results here? I've just discovered the trick of disconnecting the ring wire on the line, my first reconnection instead of connecting at ~1700 is now at 2272kbps - I'm just curious as to whether my SNR has improved significantly or not.

Should've mentioned, if you need to add it to a ticket, the number is 21173594.

Cheers! Cheesy
Mand
Grafter

Hiya,

Gimme 5 minutes and I'll see what I can do. Smiley
Community Veteran

I thought that they only raised a charge if they proved that a fault was caused by your own equipment or have the rules been tightened now Sad

I recently had a BT engineer visit because I was suffering from loss of connection (but not loss of sync) and I was hearing some noise on the line for a few seconds when picking up the telephone handset.

Needless to say that when the engineer came the fault had cleared. No noise and no loss of thoughput.
I had however kept copies of my router log showing the fault on several occasions and was able to show that to the engineer.
He did lots of checks using his own kit and said that he couldn't find anything at that time but as a precaution he had changed the line fuses in the exchange and also went to the nearby street cabinet to check there for any poor joints.

My line has been fine since then and there was no charge raised. Smiley
Snarf
Grafter

John,

My symptoms are similar, and I've also heard noise on the line when picking up the phone. Unfortunately the only log I have of this is the last couple of days l8nc results (not perfect). I guess I do have the results of quite a few woosh tests showing downstream errored seconds, but not alot else on top of that.

I'm just hoping I can impress the engineer enough with tea/coffee and biscuits so that he/she is as nice as the one you got!

Mand - thanks in advance Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Mand (or any other PN person), if you've got time, could you please woosh test my line and post the results here? I've just discovered the trick of disconnecting the ring wire on the line, my first reconnection instead of connecting at ~1700 is now at 2272kbps - I'm just curious as to whether my SNR has improved significantly or not.

Should've mentioned, if you need to add it to a ticket, the number is 21173594.

Cheers! Cheesy

Upstream Link Info
Loop Loss 35
SNR Margin 16
Errored Seconds 26
HecErrors 10
Cell Count 22251
Speed 448

Downstream Link Info
Loop Loss 60
SNR Margin 9
ErroredSeconds 75
HecErrors 0
CellCount 213002
Speed 2272

Any good for you? Smiley
Snarf
Grafter

Hmm pants, thanks anyway Mand!

Here is what I had just over a week ago:

Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 35 dB
Margin 17 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 1146
Speed 448 k
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 58 dB
Margin 9 dB
Errored Seconds 4
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 1177
Speed 1856 k

This would suggest things are worse rather than better now, ah well roll on Mr Engineer!
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Yeah, doesn't look good compared to some of the tests on the ticket. Sad

I'm sure the engineer will be able to sort something for you.

Make sure you let us know how it goes. Smiley
Community Veteran

Woosh tests
Yes I'd forgotten about that. I was also able to show him the results of a couple of those where one was showing something in the order of 800 errored seconds.
I think that the fact I could produce evidence that a fault had existed helped in my case.