cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I go over my bandwidth limit?

N/A

I might need to upgrade to more bandwidth but I might not, I'd rather wait and see. What happens if I go over my limit? Will there be an extra charge I can avoid by buying more now?

Thanks.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What product are you on? PAYG or PAYG basic or something else?

If it's Broadband PAYG account then if you exceed your allowance, you will be charged for an additional amount of data (2GB I think) @ £1.75 which is included in next months fee. If you increase your allowance, it costs £1.50 for each 2GB increase.

It generally costs more if you go over than if you ask for your allowance to be increased beforehand.
N/A

buy a modem it will be faster
N/A

Re: What happens if I go over my bandwidth limit?

If you are on Broadband Plus like me then you will probably be put under restrictions..slower download speed, basically a worse internt connection.

Im under restrictions right now...I didnt even know they existed until recently I thought we were still under the Fair Usage Policy cause I bought "unlimited" broadband from Plusnet(what a joke)
N/A

You will probably find that the usage figures they are quoting you wildly inaccurate if they are anything like mine. It is well worth taking a good long look at them as there is something intrinsically wrong with the way they are collecting this data. These inaccuracies needs to be sorted if they are further restricting users usage based upon them. I am getting the idea that this is effecting quite a few people now...

Please see my post on this forum entitled "Plusnet's Broadband Usage Figures - Totally Inaccurate?" for more specific information.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

buy a modem it will be faster

Lol, check my sig Wink

@ bbinternet, you'll have a hard time even getting near your bandwidth limit on this ISP. Just incase you do feel cheated at the end of the month download some nice big linux .iso's using http just to show PN you have the power Wink

Might not be on this forum for a while, got to go to hospital and have the hole in my foot repaired (shot it when I joined PN) Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

okrzynska wrote:

Plusnet Broadband: Proudly demonstrating that dial-up speeds are still alive!

LoL

Dial-up is faster, less lag & more stable..
N/A

Speeds

I'm typically getting from 50 - 300kb/sec, what are you getting?
gweltek
Dabbler

Usage Increase ,From Where?

I noticed an increase in my usage activity earlier in November. I queried this and received a reply that there were errors in the allocation of services to subscribers.
Well things like Telephone and Gaming have now been removed
from the items indicated ( not used).
My normal activity is below 2gb per month.
This month it is over 5gb !
I have wi-fi with no neighbours. I live near the edge of the cifftops with WPA 128 bit encryption.
Every flavour of Firewall, Anti Virus, AdAware,Cookie masher
and BHO Rootkit.....just in case !
So where is the usage coming from ?
I do hope nobody bills me for this erroneous excess.
Anyone else noticed an increase on their normal usage? :?
N/A

Well I have heard it all now. I have received a reply from support and I quote:

"Traffic will travell down your rotuer and be rejected by any firewalls that you router has enabled on it. This traffic can account for upto 800mb per day depending on how many infected computers / hackers are trying to gain access to your machine. This wouldn't be see as data that passed through your router, but it would have come down to your connection from us and therefor is counted in your VMBU."

What a joke! It is totally UNACCEPTABLE - So how am I suppose to manage my usage if my entire allowance could be used in 4 days by traffic that a) I haven’t requested or b) by traffic that is not part of actual my usage? I have no control over this traffic so how can I manage it. I also have no way of measuring it.

How can they put in place a system that restricts my usage based on traffic flow that I don't actually receive and haven't requested and have no way of managing?

I have asked for an official statement to say this is correct because I find it impossible to understand how it is supposed to work.

If this is true and we effectively have no control over our usage, I won't be staying with this provision. I joined an ISP that sold its service as an unlimited service and which has eroded the quality of that service in leaps and bounds over the time I have been with Plusnet. But if I don't actually have any control over the amount of usage I use (according to their figures) and decisions are made on further degradation of the service based on those figures, I simply can't see how this is fair let alone legal. I don’t want to be part of this and didn’t sign up for a service with these principles.

What does everyone else think?
James
Grafter

It's still usage to *your* IP address that *we* are paying for. It is not our fault that your router has background traffic. It's well beyond our control, and you are charged for usage to and from your IP.

I really don't see how you can even contemplate calling it "unacceptable".
N/A

So you tell me how I manage that traffic then? It seems to me that you need to filter unsolicited traffic to your customers IP addresses, if you are going to charge them for the privilege of receiving it. It would help your own capacity problems and remove one of the issues that are causing people to leave your services. I didn’t ask for it, it has no request from my IP, I don’t want it and normally would care about it, however if you are including this uncontrollable traffic in my allowance then it appears I have to care about it. How can you base a system of penalisation on something outside of my control? That is why I find it unacceptable - I am sure even someone as biased as you is capable of seeing that point of view - and as for calling 800Mb a day background traffic, please don’t be so disrespectful.
James
Grafter

I'm not being remotely disrespectful, I'm being realistic. I don't know whether or not 800mb of your traffic is background or not. We have no way of controlling the traffic coming into your IP address.

The best solution would be to turn your router off when you are not using it.
N/A

The best solution would be to turn your router off when you are not using it.

Wouldn't this also help keep the network in balance?

If each BT Central pipe has a maximum number of sessions it can handle, theoretically there *could* be a pipe (or segment of) somewhere that is full of sessions not actively being used.

Could this also explain why some folks have no real issues, but others do?

Would it also cause PN to think that they have sufficient capacity? If some of the pipes aren't fully maxed out at any given time, looking at the overall picture would make it appear perhaps that the network still had some headroom?
James
Grafter

Yep, pretty much. But bear in mind the load balancing is session related and not necessary and indication of which central has the most/least usage.