Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens at Midnight?

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Silver traffic like usenet I can probably explain. A lot of people will schedule downloads to start at midnight, some BitTorrent clients like uTorrent have a built in scheduler, so they all kick in at midnight so the available bandwidth gets spread between these customers and then the speeds will begin increasing as other people log off or stop using interactive traffic.

Between about midnight and 1:30am, the amount of HTTP traffic drops by more than 50% and usenet traffic triples.
20 REPLIES
N/A

So tonight at the stroke of midnight, after speed test results of 500-1000kbps all night they suddenly jump to 5500kbps. Now all those people can't have just signed off. How come on BB+ I can suddenly have a nearly un-throttled service when there are almost the same number of people connected as earlier?

I actually ran a test at 11.59 and at 12:00 and immediately got over 5 times quicker. I understand other packages get priority at peak time, so does it just become a free for all at midnight? Does this mean that all the premier and payg customer still on-line will suddenly get slower when BB+ gets quicker?

Thanks in advance for any response?
Community Veteran

After midnight, is the start of the off-peak period.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Although I didn't say it in my post, I realise it is the start of the off peak period. Why though when there must be the same number of users can I suddenly have nearly the max bandwidth I could achieve? Does this mean before midnight I am throttled even though there is bandwidth going spare?

Apologies for my initial post not been clear. My point really is that Plusnet don't suddenly have unlimited bandwidth after midnight, so why can BB+ customers suddenly become unthrottled.
Community Veteran

PN will call this the 'product design'. Sad

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

So at 11:59 they could have had spare capacity but as I'm a lowly "Plus" customer I can't have any. If that is the case then fair enough, I know my place :lol:
Community Veteran

What's your peak and off peak usage like?

Chilly
N/A

Fairly reasonable I think -

Peak usage: 2.29GB
Off-peak usage: 731.58MB

My understanding of it all was that if I used less than 4gb I could have full speed if the network wasn't busy. The test I did at 11:59pm and 12:00am show that even though there is spare capacity I (as a + customer) can't use it until off-peak. Unless there isn't spare capacity but as soon as it hits off-peak + users get the same priority as the premium/payg packages.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I suspect that at midnight users on other account types (Premier and PAYG) will see a sudden drop in speeds on their lower priority traffic. At midnight I think it becomes a fairly general free for all.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The same priorities are still in place on the network peak and off peak so gaming is still titanium, browsing gold, usenet/p2p on Premier silver and usenet/p2p on Broadband Plus bronze, etc.

So it isn't a free for all off peak, interactive traffic still gets priority, but as most people are asleep there's plenty of bandwidth for everything else.

@mhayden, I'm not 100% sure this is a Broadband Plus issue, it may also be an LLU issue. I'd be interested to see what happens tonight.
N/A

I don't think at my new address I am on LLU. Next time I can do a speedtest at 12am I will, I guess it could have just been a big coincidence. Is there anything else that triggers at midnight that could have made this sudden increase happen?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Yep, you're right, it isn't LLU now. I've updated that in the database. I can't think of anything else off hand, as I say would interesting to see if it happens again.
N/A

Now I've had time to use my connection a bit today it seems its still much better. Possibly just a big coincidence it happened at midnight but something seems to have vastly improved. Speed test was about 4000kbps at 730pm and up at 5600kbps now. If this is how it is going to stay I will be a very happy BB+ customer.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Good to hear that it's better tonight, we have made some changes today to improve the performance on Broadband Plus. The new pipe went in a couple of days ago and we've made gradual changes to allocate more bandwidth to Broadband Plus as the platform balances itself. It's still a little out of balance so we've left the double entries on the BT RADIUS so more customers will connect to the new pipe.
suec45
Grafter

I suspect that at midnight users on other account types (Premier and PAYG) will see a sudden drop in speeds on their lower priority traffic. At midnight I think it becomes a fairly general free for all.

This is absolutely NOT the case, Elvin.

My Bitorrent is totally blocked between (at least) 3pm and 12am now (0.1k)

It speeds up slowly until I can get 100k at 6am, then slows down again through the day.

Dont think that we on Premier get any better service between 12pm and 12am than anyone else on P2P - we dont, its unusable, this is particularly in the last couple of days.