cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens after you raise a connection fault?

N/A

1) You find your connection is broken
2) You try to get it working
3) You go to a friends house to check the status and raise a fault
4) Assuming the fault reporting system accepts the fault you get an email.

5) Initial checks performed by PN - what are they?
6) Detailed checks performed by PN - what are they?
7) "Your support request has been escalated to the correct team for review." - what is the correct team? How many teams are there? How long will it stay with this team before being escalated?
Cool What happens next? What timeline is there? When should I prompt for a reply? When will PN prompt Tiscali for a reply on my behalf?

What is the plan, and what are the stages, and how do I know if a stage has taken too long?

Perhaps this is already on a webpage somewhere?
40 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi

The initial checks check your account, make sure it's not cancelled, in failed billing, got wrong phone number etc etc.

The detailed checks on a BT fault involve a woosh test. On Tiscali they give us profile details, attenuation and SNR, errored seconds and the like, much like a woosh test but in a nicer format. Smiley

The fault is then passed to the relevant fault team and assigned priority (no sync first, then authentication, then intermittent, then speed). It is then raised to Tiscali/BT as necessary and updates are received within 72 hours.

However, all of the above is irrelevant in your case, as I raised this manually to Tiscali this morning. Smiley
Thus begins the 72 hours.
N/A

thanks, I appreciate the queue jump, but what does the woosh test tell you? Can I see a mockup of one? Does it confirm a problem at the exchange? Can you do a test on another number on the same exchange to compare results?
N/A

No, really, why I am left in the dark here as to what you already know? Why isn't there a webpage explaining what is happening?

I have a feeling that after 72 hours (this evening or tomorrow morning depending on whether you take into account the fault wizard was faulty) I will see absolutely nothing in my ticket. And if I chase it up then 12 or 24 hours later I will get a 'still waiting for a response from our supplier, have escalated' type response. So the 72 hours is automatically 4 or 5 days just to acknowledge that there is a problem, let alone whether an engineer will pop by the exchange to see what was unplugged...

Perhaps I'm doing this an injustice but you havent explained anywhere what you have tested for, what you know and what happens during the 72 hours - both in ideal circumstances and genuine 'we are battling through mountains of tickets' circumstances - and what the real estimates of fixing are. The forum has dozens/1000s of people with LLU problems for weeks - are there more people with LLU disconnections that are fixed within 72 hours? Perhaps the forums just show the worst cases - so what is a truer picture?

Thanks,
Liam
Grafter

thanks, I appreciate the queue jump, but what does the woosh test tell you? Can I see a mockup of one? Does it confirm a problem at the exchange? Can you do a test on another number on the same exchange to compare results?

A woosh test basically gives us some line stats for your connection. Like how much noise there is on your line, what speeds you're syncing at, what speed profile you are on etc...

These are helpful in identifying problems with intermittant sync and speed issues.
N/A

So would the line stats say whether the problem is my equipment or at the green boxes or the exchange etc? Do you have comparison historical figures, eg daily, to diagnose problems or discover trends in a certain exchange etc.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

There are different kinds of woosh tests for different problems.

The detailed checks on your line could not be performed as you were not synchronising, hence the fault being raised directly.

If I find a woosh example during the course of the day I'll stick it in here for you.
N/A

OK, thanks, I imagined you could tell line noise etc from my phone number whether or not my router sync'd or not in the same way a BT line test can test the line - but you can't do this? Can Tiscali?
N/A

Perhaps I'm doing this an injustice but you havent explained anywhere what you have tested for, what you know and what happens during the 72 hours - both in ideal circumstances and genuine 'we are battling through mountains of tickets' circumstances - and what the real estimates of fixing are. The forum has dozens/1000s of people with LLU problems for weeks - are there more people with LLU disconnections that are fixed within 72 hours? Perhaps the forums just show the worst cases - so what is a truer picture?

Is this really difficult for you guys to comment on honestly?
Slangster
Dabbler

I think your comments about being kept informed of what is happening is fundamental to returning to a high level of customer service. If I was given an update message every 4 hours appended to my outstanding fault, at least I would know that I am not being ignored?

Just think, for every user that raises their problem on these forums, how many don't?

And finally, why are so many users reporting the same error (disconnections, unable to sync, poor connection speeds) but treated as if we have a fault with telephone lines? Everything was okay until the BT Upgrades 2 weeks ago. So who is responsible?

Steve (not LLU'd)
N/A

I think the answer is you *are* being ignored. They want the problem to be fixed by Tiscali since they've got enough of their own problems to deal with.

The trouble is they know 72 hours is too long for paying customers and too short for Tiscali, but it's difficult to publish the real unique up to the minute disconnection-wait-for-fix times.... probably because they far exceed 72 hours.

Finding out what is happening from Tiscali (and passing it onto me) should be a priority for Plusnet who, supposedly, are fighting my corner and want to appear to be on-the-ball and blameless.
Liam
Grafter

I apologise that you do not feel well informed.

The truth is, we are very busy - and this luxury isn't available to us just yet. We're on the home stretch though - and things are getting better!

Faults are raised fairly quickly, and when we get a reply back, we're generally able to action these relatively quickly too.

One of the projects we're looking into is trying to automate a lot of this fault raising and updating into the Portal. It won't happen overnight, of course, or even within a few months. But I'd hope that within 6 months you guys will be even better informed by being able to check the latest status by just logging in to your portal account.

Unfortunately though, BT and Tiscali do also take time to investigate the problems at their end. Is putting an automated ticket reply every 4 hours stating the same thing really going to make you feel better?
N/A

If I was given an update message every 4 hours appended to my outstanding fault, at least I would know that I am not being ignored?

Whilst I can see your point about being kept up-to-date with progress, there would be only two ways in which the section of the userbase who have problems could receive updates every 4hrs.

One way is an automated system, just feeding out a standard update based upon the type of problem you have.

The only other way which I can see, is for a CS bod to sit there sending out individual updates.

I can see clear flaws with both of these options;

If its automated, we'd all be irritated by the fact that our problem isn't getting solved any faster, and we keep getting robot responses to that effect.

If a CS bod was doing the same thing, one could argue that the responses would become fairly robotic, as an overworked bod just doing that type of role would inevitably begin copying and pasting the updates. We would be frustrated then, that CS bods were spending all their time sending out responses which are effectively useless, when they could be working on solving our issues. (I'm avoiding going into the cost to each of us that employing people to do this would inevitably have)

If neither of those ways would be completely satisfactory, perhaps a compromise would be more useful.
Something along the lines of a real human posting details of any problems which may be having an effect on large numbers of the userbase. (We already have this - see Service Status)
Perhaps it would be useful to be able to receive RSS feeds of these problems, or perhaps have them emailed to us? (Again, we already have these options -see Usertools)

OK, I admit, it doesn't help a great deal with individual problems, but it does help ensure that the finite resource that is the CS team are able to be applied as effectively as possible.

I am also painfully aware that at times, the Service Status updates can be lacking in detail, and in recent times, updates haven't been posted at the times they have been promised.

I believe that the best we can hope for is that these updates will continue to improve, both in frequency and accuracy.

I'm happy to be shouted down - but its only my thoughts. Wink
Perhaps somebody has an idea which I missed?
carrot63
Grafter

The problem with the lack of apparent movement on the tickets is similar to the 'dead air' on being internally transferred on a phone system. there are times when you reasonably DO have to wait several minutes for the person you are ringing through to to answer, at other times its just that you've got lost in the system, and after a while you figure it out or give up. The operator popping up every minute or so to say "its engaged, call back" or "sorry to keep you" at least assures you something is going on.

The same effect is needed with tickets; an automated response wouldn't satisfy as we'd work out it was meaningless and still think nothing was being done. No gain. A person writing on the ticket would offer reassurance, but would be a waste of manpower.

The CS system my girlfriend used to work on would leave an entry every time the ticket was opened by CS staff. They were suppposed to leave a note to say why they'd accessed, but of course didnt. I'm sure Plusnet tickets are looked at between times to see if action has been taken, so perhaps these visits (if they happen) could be logged and visible to the customer, even if action is not actually taken at that time. Perhaps with a menu option for the agent to paste their name and something like "checking progress". It would be a halfway house and would be cost free in additional human effort, but would remove the effect of textual 'dead air'.

Problem is, in normal times tickets dont sit and rot as they are now, and with CS under pressure, any such checking is probably reduced in any case at exactly the time it would be useful. I opened a ticket yesterday, and based on my last 2 or 3 tickets I know for sure no one will touch it for at least 7 days (17 hoursHuh dream on).
N/A

Perhaps somebody has an idea which I missed?

That Tiscali logs are fed directly to the ticket? And if those logs aren't updated every 24 hours (after all, they are dealing with the problem aren't they?) then PlusNet add an entry that they will chase Tiscali up, updating every 4 hours what they have done...
The Tiscali logs should show what steps have been done, and when an engineer is dispatched, what the engineer did, what will happen next etc.
PlusNet should be in a position to represent their customers when Tiscali miss a step, or delay something etc. but at the moment it seems they are quite content to ignore the problem and just act as a message bureau between the digruntled customer and the overstretched Tiscali.... making plusnet look bad.