cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to the peek usage monitor?

N/A

I thought I remember plusnet saying that their were going to put in place a usage monitor got peek time usage, and this was about two or three weeks ago, any news on that. because it would be really nice to see how much peek time usage I've used, so that I don't get one of those email at the end of the month.
11 REPLIES
Julie
Grafter

Hi

They are still working on it afaik
see this thread
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33531
StuWard
Grafter

Surely though, if PN give you no tool to ,monitor your peak usage, they cannot expect you to adhere to it, and should not throttle your connection until they give you the means to monitor your usage

I have used approx 50GB this month, it could all be peak time for all i know
N/A

I've done 31gig so far this month, and i now cannot connect to any P2P networks Evil

i know for a fact it is not all peak time iv'e used , & had no emails to say iv'e used my limit Cry
anyone else had same problem ?
N/A

stuward.

The one thing I would say here, is regardless of the fact that morraly PlusNet should provide such a tool, it will allways ultimatly be your own responsability to monitor your own usage.
N/A

There a number of tools on the net, that you can use to monitor your usage. Also Netlimiter is a pretty useful tool if your worried about going over your peek time limit, by throttling down any P2P or newsserver traffic on your OWN pc.
StuWard
Grafter

Thank you for bringing such devices to my attention. It may be worth adding links to such applications, giving people the opportunity to utilise them
N/A

Sure,

here is Net Limiter

I will have a search out for the links of the others, and I will post them back in a short while.
N/A

I know i have used at least 15gig off peak , but i've been throttled as if it is 30g peak time iv'e used Evil
N/A

Net Limiter is ok for a stand alone PC but if you are running a network it will not work.
For my 3 PC's, 1 Laptop, 1 PDA, 1 PS2, 1XBox and now a PSP that can download updates from the internet, Net Limiter is usless.

For use with my setup (with a wireless router) I used this:
http://www.paessler.com/prtg
I just enabled SNMP on my router and got PRTG Traffic Grapher to grab the data.
The free version on the site will allow you to see the sum of all your traffic in hourly timeslots. This data can then be backed up at the end of each day.
This means that I can see what the family have been doing "gig wise" even when I am not there.
The only downside is the fact that the PC running the app has to be on 24/7.
N/A

Anyone know a good Linux meter please as my router is a pc with linux on.

thxs
N/A

Hang on, How do I know if I download this program before 12am I wont go over my limit? :lol:

Jokes aside, I've already got one of the 30/100 e-mails and I am fuming. It is morally unfair to impose such limits without providing the support themselves to monitor them!

What is even worse is the absolute abscense of any notification of any T&C changes and the immediate issue of a warning! If an e-mail had been sent, to everyone a month or so inadvance of any changes then perhaps it would have been ok but this is just outragous!

Also, do Plusnet seriously expect customers to check the T&C's themselves every week for change? If people were to trawl through the T&C's of every company they used for the slightest change, nothing would ever get done!

Since the start of this 'bad boy pipe/F'up' policy debacle I've alway's said I would be leave as soon as I was targeted by this witch hunt and now I am. Like many other I am seriously considering Zen as an alternative. Worth the extra few quid I reckon! I will be requesting my MAC code as soon as that 20minute CS cue dies down (I wonder what those calls are about!). I can only imagine some of the abuse those poor CS guys get from the other end of the line(some of it from me no doubt, so I apologise in advance! :lolSmiley while their managers sit there too concerned with counting their pennies to care!

For the record when I signed up for my 2mg Premier line. It was advertised as Unlimited! in every sense of the word. To try and dispute this now or to say it was a mistake is either A, a pack of lies or B, a complete misrepresentation of the product!

Also like many other's I will be contacting the Trading Standards Agency and letting them know what I think of plusnet.

I suggest everyone else does as many others are doind because who knows, next time, it could be you! :shock:

------------------------------
Edit: Funny how I never got an e-mail from +N asking me to vote for them! :lol: