cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this email error message mean?

N/A

I sent an email, it has just bounced back with this error....
What is 'relaying not allowed', never seen this before.

The original message was received at Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:25:58 GMT
from localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<ha*****.ls@tiscali.co.uk>(reason: 550 RCPT TO:<ha*****.ls@tiscali.co.uk> Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mx6.uk.tiscali.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 RCPT TO:<ha*****.ls@tiscali.co.uk> Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH

I have just done Google 'relaying not allowed' and read this:

This error message is coming from the mail server, not from Outlook Express. This error means that the SMTP (outgoing) mail server did not recognize you as an authorized user and rejected your e-mail message. Most ISPs (Internet Service Provider, and this includes GCI) configure their mail servers to recognize only those computer IP addresses that are on an accepted list. If you use multiple ISPs, or just switched from another ISP, you are likely to encounter this problem. The solution is to change setting of the SMTP server for that mail account under your e-mail application:

Before I spit my dummy out yet again, I'll ask because there may be a simple explanation...
Is plusnet on yet another blacklist, this time TiscaliHuh
22 REPLIES
N/A

Error 550 - Relaying not allowed?
This error message is coming from the mail server, not from OE itself. It means that the SMTP (outgoing) mail server did not recognize you as an authorized user and so rejected your message. Most ISPs configure their SMTP servers to recognize only those whose IP address is on the accepted list, meaning that you are connected directly to that ISP. If you use multiple ISPs, you are likely to encounter this problem. The solution is to change the SMTP server for that mail account under Tools| Accounts| Properties| Servers.

Are you by any chance trying to use an external SMTP server or even using your own pc as a mail server?
N/A

Nope. I use Windows XP Pro with Outlook Express, standard Plusnet settings. I have never changed anything like that.

The only thing I know how to do regarding this is using a proxy IP server for web browsing. I have a small program installed with IE, I just drop the box down to whichever country I wish to go through. However, I have not used this program for weeks anyway, would not affect any email settings. I'm not too well up on these, that's why I posted asking what it meant.

I have been emailing quite happily for last 2-3 hours, using my outlook express, hotmail and yahoo, just this one bounced back.
N/A

I wonder if Tiscali have blocked Plusnet emails.

Now that would be funny, considering they are supposed to be partners Smiley
N/A

That is the exact bounce back I received, except the '***s', just copy and pasted. I thought it unusual because I have never seen that one before, it's usually 'user unknown' for bounce backs. I checked Google first and found that explanation.

Screenshot of message, bits removed on adobe.

N/A

Are you using your PN connection? PN does not allow users to use the SMTP server from non PN IP addresses. So if you are using a third party internet connection then you will see this error message.

I beleive that this message is also seen if the SMTP authenication has been checked and the PN connection is used.
N/A

Yes, plusnet connection, BB.

Only other one I've got is AOL dial-up on my laptop, rarely use it.
N/A

So the outgoing email server you are using is relay.plus.net and the SMTP authenication has not been ticked.
N/A

hmm

while talking to mx6.uk.tiscali.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 RCPT TO:<ha*****.ls@tiscali.co.uk> Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH

it looks like mx6.uk.tiscali.com is borked and doesnt want to accepts emails for tscali.co.uk

nothing this end, hopefully they(tiscali) will fix it...trying sending again and hope another MX server gets it as they are all the same pref, so it should round robin them
N/A

So the outgoing email server you are using is relay.plus.net and the SMTP authenication has not been ticked.

No.
relay.plus.net does not work and never has worked for me.
Many months ago when I first set my PC up, I phoned plusnet. During the days they answered within 10 mins....
They told me to try SMTP as 127.0.0.1
Everything works fine with that, never had a problem sending. Whether they receive it or not is a different matter!

Every time I try relay.plus.net I get connection to the server has failed, no socket error 10060 Error number 0x800CCC0E and the emails don't send.

relay.plus.net has never worked. I have just tried it again, same error message. I have just changed it back to 127.0.0.1 and it sent straight away... and bounced back straight away with same error.
N/A

120.0.0.1 is your own machine. Its a loopback address, which means your mail tries to send using your own machine as an SMTP server, rather than using the PN one.
Another name for 127.0.0.1 is localhost.
I can't in honesty figure out the logic of this, unless you are running your own SMTP server on the machine in question. (Which you said you ain't)
I guess you need some input from somebody with a bit of detailed knowledge - I'm interested to know the answer though.
bluewhale
Rising Star

i had a similar problem to this with my new domain name email address being bounced back with this error

i raised a ticket with +net who then said they'd fiddled with their dns and that seemed to fix the problem

i recommed you raise a ticket with support

although what +net said to me didn't seem to make any sense it seems to have fixed the problem :-)
Patch
Grafter

I seem to remember that with some antivirus software you used to have to set up the smtp server as 127.0.0.1, so that it was sent from outlook (express) to the antivirus software.

Then within the antivirus software you set the actual mail server details.

Not sure if this is true in your case, or if it helps in any way.

Patch
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi lostboy,

the 127 address is a local one, so will normally only be used with some anti virus to check outgoing mail.

What sending address do you send from? Is it valid?

We have sent a test email as yourself (using the domain) and it worked fine though relay.plus.net.

If you are connected through us, you should be able to use relay.plus.net. If you connect through us and use a different relay server, you might also get the same 550 error as the hosts of that server may not allow non-connections to relay through it.

Try setting up a brand new Mail profile. Disable all Anti Virus/Firewalls and send a test email.
N/A

Yes, the email addy I send from is valid, there are no problems with any other emails I send, just that one.
It's a new email contact, never emailed this person before.
My email addy is my first name@my plusnet account.

I'm using Grisoft AVG antivirus, updated every day. There is nowhere on that to change any email settings at all, I have just searched it.

I have just disabled my anti-virus, changed the setting on Outlook Distress to relay.plus.net and still won't send, same error message.

I'm also using Zone Alarm Pro but email is disabled on that, always has been.

Now, after messing with those settings, anti-virus and zone alarm disable, changing to relay.plus.net, it wouldn't send. I have just changed back to 127.0.0.1 and it sent straight away.