cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think PN mean by a 30:1 contention ratio ?

ukbrown
Grafter

Read the PN documentation and read it very well.

You know other ISP's have a contention ratio of 50:1, PN's is 30:1 this is good Huh

It seems to be that at the exchange you still have a contention ratio of 50:1. It is the PlusNet network that has a contention ratio of 30:1. Now I cannot claim this to be absolutely true and factual, but I guess that PN will correct me if I am wrong.

If this is true then I sort of felt "cheated", because perversely enough I though I was getting more of the pie than my mates on other ISP's and I told them so. My ISP's better than your ISP, na na na naa naa. DOH

I reckon, up garden path led the, is an appropriate phrase for what some may call misselling/misrepresentation

What do you think, did you think you were sharing with thirty people ?Huh
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The 50:1 contention at the exchange is a not of a misnomer. BT have never contended at this level because real 50:1 contention on the small scale you have an exchange would mean that people would be seeing slow connections all the time across all protocols.

BT Wholesale are in the process of no longer referring to exchange side contention and the 50:1 contention ratio and instead just using IPStream Home and Office.

The contention ratios for our network represent how we control the network contention. The 50:1 contention of a Broadband Plus account means that it is highly managed with rate limits applied to P2P and Usenet and peak time speeds will get slower the more you download.

The 30:1 on Premier means we can give you full speeds across all protocols, but to a point, i.e. after 20GB of P2P/Usenet/FTP between 8am and midnight these speeds will decrease.

Teleworker and Business are at 20:1 and 10:1 and don't have the type of management seen with Plus or Premier.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

The 30:1 on Premier means we can give you full speeds across all protocols, but to a point, i.e. after 20GB of P2P/Usenet/FTP between 8am and midnight these speeds will decrease.

Hi dtomlinson

Can I just ask, in that bold bit above, do you mean <<after 20Gb has been downloaded in peak time>>...or do you mean <<speeds will decrease....in peak time>>.

Just me trying to clarify the wording, because I've never understood the meaning of this. Does "8am and midnight" refer to the period over which the data was downloaded, or refer to the period at which speeds will be decreased for the user?

cheers!

L
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
ukbrown
Grafter

Apologies, looks like a got a lot wrong in my original post.

Still don't get how it all hangs together though, contention "used" to refer to how many people were sharing a link. 2MB link, 30:1 you all get a thirtieth of the link at worse possible case dependent on how many people use it at the same time.

If you can do the above and all customers stayed below the 20GB then we would have full speed all the time. What exactly is full speed ? If all customers downloaded lots at the same time but were below 20gb total would they still get full speed. If you can give full speed until they have downloaded 20Gb then why can you not give full speed all the time ?

Are they any decent URL's that detail how broadband works now, what PN mean by contention ratio.

I still think that PN have misrepresented contention ratio as most people I know see the 30:1 being an improvement on the 50:1 offered by BT