cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do?

Snarf
Grafter

What do I do?

Since the upgrade to MaxDSL my line has suffered from a reasonable amount of instability. I'm connecting faster than I did on a fixed line (connection speed seems to be around 1800-2000kbps), however when the line is in heavy use I seem to suffer a disconnection every 1-2 hours (sometimes it also disconnects when the line isn't being used). The connection always manages to reconnect after a disconnection however.

The thing is, I thought that MaxDSL was supposed to adjust the speed of the line according to the stability, which is why I'm surprised that my line speed hasn't dropped - the stable rate has obviously stayed the same.

Now I'm faced with a choice:

1) Put up with the instability and suffer occasionally when I'm gaming online

2) Drop down to a fixed rate line (I know when I had a 1Mbps line it was pretty rock solid) and pay the £14.99 regrade fee

3) Have a BT engineer come out and look at the line (and obviously pay if there isn't a problem)

4) Ask for a MAC code and hop on over to a different provider (obviously will be free so I can tailor my new package) and hope that I don't suffer the same fate over there.

So which one to pick?
5 REPLIES
James
Grafter

What do I do?

If you have an issue with disconnections then this is most definitely a fault. Run the standard check (modem, filters, master socket, etc) and raise a fault if the problem persists.

You won't be charged if the correct diagnostics are performed and the fault isn't of your own hardware.
Snarf
Grafter

What do I do?

James,

That's as far as I've got (see ticket 21173594)

I've tried different sockets, I've tried different filters, I've tried different hardware. As you can see on the last reply on the ticket, another test has been run and shows no fault on the line (which they point out doesn't mean there isn't one).

If you believe that disconnections, having eliminated all the other options, are as a result of a fault on the line, I'll get an engineer to come out.

If you look at http://www.l8nc.com/graph.php?jid=999c9567e709f33ecb14b2fe2bba45ae&sid=&day=yesterday you'll see 4 disconnections from 4pm (when we started using the line). Basically the whole of my ticket has really been me trying to figure out if it is a fault - it'd be nice to have one more opinion saying that there probably is (~£55 is alot to pay if there isn't a problem!).
James
Grafter

What do I do?

As you've already tried everything that you can, this should be raised to BT.

I'll see what I can do Smiley
James
Grafter

What do I do?

I've raised this to BT for you now and have updated your ticket.
Snarf
Grafter

What do I do?

Cheers James, much obliged Smiley