cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What date and does spam go to trash or disappear?

thehatman
Grafter

What date is the monthly automatic spam folder purge and does the spam go via the trash folder of is it erased completely in the monthly automatic?
10 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

There is no set date for this, the emails in the SPAM folder should only be there for 30 days before being deleted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
thehatman
Grafter

Please answer the question fully.

Do they go via trash or complete delete?

Thanks.
thehatman
Grafter

10 day delete option

Would it not be useful and save PN space if we could have an option to delete every ten days?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

They're fully deleted after 30 days.

In terms of the duration, we made it 30 days to ensure that people could check the Spam folder, allowing for things like holidays and such like.

However, we will be revisiting this to see if it can be reduced without any customer inconvenience, and will also be offering the option to delete Spam automatically in a later phase (bypassing the Spam folder feature altogether if you wish).
grimme
Grafter

Hi,

Does the volume of mail kept in the Spam folder contribute to the overall size of the Mailbox, as it's the only mail now kept in the Mailbox?
(Some other ISP's don't always count the volumes in mail folders other than inbox and sent mail)

What would be the limit to a mailbox size?

If there are a number of other named mailboxes off the one main account would it be possible for each individual mailbox to have it's own Spam setting?

Thanks.
N/A

deleting spam

I just logged into my spam folder to discover 2705 emails. I trawlled through and deleted the 5 non-spam emails (and forwarded to notspam). I then wanted to delete the 2700 left - I have no wish to plod through that process again. I tried listing all on one page, toggled selection and selected delete - I got a sql error. Next I went for 500 per page - I got another error! Finally, setting to display 300 per page I was able to delete them in only 9 steps!

This is obviously cr*p. Webmail is not a good way to check such a volume of messages. Is it possible to access this folder though POP3, so I can use ePrompter to download the headers, make an easy check and delete in one go (which it does actually performs one by one, so should not be affected by volume)?
fonejacker
Grafter

You can set-up IMAP to access Spam the folder on your machine. What mail client do you use?

There are no hard limits on mailbox size, but I believe customers using in excess of 600Mb have been contacted recently and asked to reduce the amount they are storing.

Ian
grimme
Grafter

@swiftsystems

We've had exactly the same problem, hence the previous post asking about how much can a mailbox hold within the 30 day period before it's considered full.

Changed ours to show 200 at a time and opted not to use trash, so wouldn't have to delete them twice.

I'm not sure it isn't easier to bring them into Outlook and let that take care of it!

Hopefully the next round of improvements will make deleting the spam easier!
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

I don't know if SquirrelMail allows easy development of "Empty Trash" and "Empty Spam" commands? Where users are receiving the kind of volumes swiftsystems is talking about this seems the only realistic solution for users to clear their folders. Since this potentially could significantly reduce mail volumes on the PN servers, it should seem worthy of investigation
N/A

You can set-up IMAP to access Spam the folder on your machine. What mail client do you use?

There are no hard limits on mailbox size, but I believe customers using in excess of 600Mb have been contacted recently and asked to reduce the amount they are storing.

Ian
I use Outlook 2003, but if I wanted them in there I could just turn the PlusNet settings back to marking them and sending them on - my Outlook filter used to drop them in a spam folder. Hence why I want to use ePrompter to look at them and clean them up. It's a small client that just downloads the headers and allows you to look at individual mails or mark them for deletion, and has a "mark all" feature which does what it says, not just those showing on a page. Incidently, if you don't know of it, ePrompter allows you to access gmail, hotmail, msn & yahoo accounts - and it's FREE. Very handy for a quick trawl of all those email accounts you set up for message board (etc) use that get spam-a-lot.

As to your second para, that's a good one. We're "storing" spam are we!