cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What bandwidth changes have been seen after MaxDSL upgrades?

retep
Grafter

Just curious what speed increase have been seen by anyone who has been upgraded to MaxDSL.

I checked this by using the Bandwidth Speed Check

Mine increased from 964Kb to 1431Kb

I know this relates to line quality and distance from the exchange just curious what other people are seeing.

Peter.
17 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Peter,

From being on 2Mb I am now seeing speeds anywhere from 2.3Mb to 6.5Mb.

Even tests taken immediately one after the other vary widely.

Neil
Community Veteran

You need to be clear about the line speed and download speeds.

Before MaxDSL my line speed was 1152kb/s 55dB Attenuation and 18db SNR. The 1152kb/s gives a download speed of 1000kb/s on speed tests.

Now my line speeds vary between 2700 and 3400kb/s, so effectively that puts me on a line speed of 2848kb/s giving a download speed of 2500kb/s on speed tests.

My download speed tests are pretty constant at 2300-2500kb/s because I am on a PAYG account and on a small exchange with few users so contention does not affect me.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Went from a 1mb line to a 4mb line.
N/A

we went from;

2282 dl @ ~1950 to

8128 dl @ ~3000 peak to ~6600 off peak

very good snr, still looking for the last 500. Sad

:roll: Tongue
retep
Grafter

Thanks for those replies, I knew I was on the edge of the 1Mb limit so didn't expect much.

Peter.
N/A

I was just OK for 1Mb but got rejected for 2Mb so my experience may be an indicator for you.

Now I sync at 4.2 - 4.5Mbps and get d/l speeds of 3.4Mbps or a bit less at busy times so no complaints in that department. My router disconnects 2 or 3 times a day but usually when nobody is on the PC; a bit annoying when the internet is being used.
druck
Dabbler

I went from the 2Mb product syncing at 2228kbps and a speed check of 1850kbps+ to maxDSL (at least a month since the end of regrading) with a sync of 6300kbps and speed checks of between 700kps and 1200kps, but the line dropping dozens of times a day. With nothing or just downstairs phones connected it will sync at 7600kps but speeds checks are only 1500kps to 1700kbps and drops a 2-5 times a day.

So a wholesale degredation in my service, to which Plus Net can offer no solution, telling me the speeds are "with in acceptable limits definaed by BT". Well it is not acceptable to offer people a worse service and have no alternative course of action available.
N/A

Can't you just go back to the old 2mb product?
N/A

I went from a 1 mb product to syncing at over 3000 at all times, but never good enough to raise my stable rate above 2500.

I have a poor quality line with +60 dB attenuation. My connection is stable, although itodes vary slightly in speed.

It seems that some people get good speeds and others poor ones, and the distance from the exchange is not always relevant. I'm only 1.7 km as the crow flies, but the attenuation brings me down.

A screened modem lead now allows me to keep a connection with an SNR of betweeen 4 and 6 dB, and hold it at 3328 over a 16 hour period..
druck
Dabbler

I did find a page somewhere in the members sent that showed what the stable speed achived over the last 3 days was, but can't find it again. Anyone help?
N/A

I remember that you have to have a stable speed of at least 3424 to move to the 3000 stable rate. I used to get the daytimes but it dropped in the evenings so I never made the grade. Now my SNR is higher, so my speed is lower, never quite make the grade and drop to 3200 in the evenings.

It only takes 75 minutes for your stable rate to be reduced, but you have to connect at above the minimum for a rate for three days continously for it to be moved up. BT count in blocks of 512 kb, which is why you have to sync continuosly for three days at over the minimum rate for that speed in order to have your stable rate changed to a faster one.

Now if the block was 256 kb, and/or if the BRAs profile was updated as quickly for increased speeds as for decreased ones, a lot of people wouldn't be capped at slower speeds than they can reach.

I ssked about having my stable rate increased when I was syncing at the minimum during the day, and was told that doing so could cause me to have continous disconnections.

I thought that the speed of your line was regulated by BT, not the ISP, so if the ISP stable rate was set too high you simply wouldn't acheive those speeds.

Now everyone's SNR seems to have increased, so everyone who has a less than perfect connection now has lower speeds than they used to. I assume that this was to improve stability.

BTW for the first three days after I logges on after Max my stable rate was set at 2000, and this fact was mentioned when I queried CS. I don't know how they arrived at the 2000 on first post-regrade logon, because I was on holiday with all power off for most of the training period, I think. Although for the same reason, I haven't a clue when I was put on Max and CS isn't telling. I wonder if they know, as I was never sent an email telling me that I was about to be Maxed.
druck
Dabbler

Yes, but wheres the page that show it?
Community Veteran

ici https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Just did a peak time BT speed test, my worst ever. 1665 kb/s.
SNR 6dB, Line attenuation 62.5, d/l sync rate 3232, Latency Fast