cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What (at packet level) is included in our 'clean to' usage.

kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Would someone at Plusnet please provide details of what traffic is aggregated into our 'clean to' usage. I'm assuming that it is based upon which port the data packet is transported via.

I have installed traffic monitoring on my network gateway, and would like to monitor the exact usage for the various protocols in order to ensure no nasty suprises in the future. I've also installed local traffic management for the periods specified by Plusnet.

I'm assuming TCP/UDP ports 20, 21, 119 and then a series of P2P ports. Please could you provide a full list, so that I can put in place my own monitoring and local management.

Thanks, Neil
4 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

All the traffic shaping is controlled by the ellacoya equipment that do deep packet inspection on each packet to determine what the data is, so no ports need to be specified.

Phil
N/A

Can anyone confirm if Xbox Live Marketplace downloads (things like film trailers, music videos, game demos weighing in at ~600MB-1.25GB) are counted as p2p/ftp/usenet (obviously not usenet) and if this transfer counts towards out "Clean To" usage?
JonathanW
Grafter

I don't think that XBox Live Marketplace uses p2p for its downloads. A quick google search didn't show anything obvious up. So it will just come under your regular usage.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

ellacoya equipment that do deep packet inspection on each packet to determine what the data is, so no ports need to be specified.

Phil

I'm guessing this is based around Ellacoya's e30? I'm running packet level monitoring, so what should it be monitoring for?