cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are transit problems?

N/A

I assume (wrongly or rightly) that the jist of nameservers is that they take in www addresses at one end, and push out IP addresses the other (bit like a phone directory).

Then there's this "transit" thing being talked of.

Can someone explain to me what the name servers actually do and what this transit thing is?
8 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Transit is connectivity to the internet external to Plusnet. Plusnet will 'peer' with a number of 'transit' providers to pass traffic to and from the wider internet outside of Plusnet's network.
N/A

Ahhh.... right.

Thankyou.
N/A

I am not a full expert on this but my understanding is:

Computers are connected via the Internet. Each computer has a number to allow it to be identified, known as an IP (Internet Protocol) address. These numbers usually have the form <0-255>.<0-255>.<0-255>.<0-255>.<0-255> e.g. 212.159.13.49

This is a little limiting as thre are only a finite number of IP addresses. So the Web uses DNS (Domain Name Servers) to translate a website URL (Universal Resource Location), which has the more humanly readable form: e.g. www.adomain.com. A DNS server will translate the URL (the www.adomain.com) to an IP address so the computers can talk to each other.

I belive DNSs are doing some other clever tricks to overcome the finite number of IP addresses available but I have never been able to understand this when doing an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) connection to a computer does not use the DNS system.

Looking at the current problems people are having is would appear that the DNS servers (these are not run by PlusNet) are not working properly so people are having problems browsing website. I cannot connect to any sites outside the UK and I can't play DAoC or GuildWars Sad

hope this might be some help :?
pjemmanuel
Grafter

This is a little limiting as thre are only a finite number of IP addresses. So the Web uses DNS (Domain Name Servers) to translate a website URL (Universal Resource Location), which has the more humanly readable form: e.g. www.adomain.com. A DNS server will translate the URL (the www.adomain.com) to an IP address so the computers can talk to each other.

I belive DNSs are doing some other clever tricks to overcome the finite number of IP addresses available...

Just to correct you here, DNS does in fact translate a URL into an IP address, but does nothing to solve the finite number of IP addresses - it is at it's simplest, as the OP mentioned - similar to a telephone directory, but it uses a heirarchial search method, often using a number of DNS servers

The 'clever tricks' to overcome the finite number of IP addresses is performed at the moment by subnetting and routing, not DNS. The implementation of IPv6 is set to reduce the limitation of the current IPv4, but this is still under discussion.

Phil
N/A

Phil, IPv6 is more than under discussion -its fully approved standard now - the biggest problem is the lack of will in most organisations to deploy IPv6 solutions...
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Phil, IPv6 is more than under discussion -its fully approved standard now - the biggest problem is the lack of will in most organisations to deploy IPv6 solutions...

Apologies, I worded that bit badly, thanks for correction. You are quite correct that it is an approved standard. It made it to a proposed standard (RFC 1752) in 1994, and a full approved draft standard in 1998, yet little has happened since.
There are a number of implementations available if you look around, but there does seem still, eight years later, some reluctance to roll it out, as you mentioned.

Personally, I don't think there will be any change to IPv4 until the internet really does run out of public IP addresses, then there will be a mad panic to deploy v6.

Phil
N/A

Transit Issues are......

When Ford dish out shiny new vans to everyone. :lol:
N/A

Only for then to rust a couple of years later and be seen driving down the motorwat dirty with the message "Wish my wife was as durty as this" written into the dirt!!!