cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the usage limits for Business type BB?

N/A

I've asked this eleswhere but not been answered so I though I'd try my own thread and see if it does.

There is a lot of discussion over acceptable or sutainable usage on home accounts - there are some pages on the site that give some guidance to home users on what peak time traffic they should expect to be able to use before incurring the wrath of Plus net.

For example the Premier 3 option states that it allows up to 48GB peak time and restricts after 60GB - nice clear guidelines.

However this is not the case for business accounts.

We have what used to be called a TeleWorker Pro account, it costs £66 per month which is higher than even the highest residential account.

Obviously we have dual needs - reliable traffic for the work usage and decent speeds for personal usage.

When we got the account traffic did not seem to be such a big issue and we were able to pretty much use what we wanted when we wanted however this has obviously changed over the last few months with the saturation of the Plus network.

We have an ongoing ticket on which, amongst other things, we were basically told that 40-60GB of peak time usage was too high for our account EVEN THOUGH that level is lower than what is aloowed on cheaper residential accounts.

We did not feel that it is a fair or sustainable postiion for Plus to penalise accounts without first advising customers of what their limits should be.

I am met with comments saying that there are no limits on our account BUT that they will take action against us if we use too much!?!?!?!

It is hard to avoid crossing an invisible line!!

As a result we are desperately trying to get some figures for what we are actually allowed to use otherwise Plus net are placing us in an impossible position.

Could someone please answer this question as we feel we are liable to be unfairly punished without knowing why we have incurred the punishment.
32 REPLIES
N/A

Any comments Plus people?

I don't think this is an unreasonable question to ask as you must have figures in mind to be able to even consider shaping business accounts?

It can't just be ad hoc can it?
N/A

Never mind limits - you are paying 3 times and more than Premier 1 - what exactly do you or should you get for the money and are yuo getting it I wonder?
N/A

Paddy - I get a free domain name and the theoretical use of some webspace. Nothing that current products aren't offering to home users for much less.

Plus people - still awaiting an answer on this!!
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I've highlighted this to Neil and he should be along before long to address your questions.
N/A

Thankyou James.
N/A

ummm.... WOW !!!

£66 a month when business broadband is only £42 with nigh on twice the upstream, more or less unlimited usage, 500mb webspace and 2 free domain registrations (defered fee's)

did I miss anything ?Huh
James
Grafter

We're not referring to Business. This is Homeworker Pro.
N/A

Topic: What are the usage limits for Business type BB?

I was merely creating a comparison

your obviously having 'home workers' eyes clean out :!:
James
Grafter

Sorry Smiley

I thought you were trying to work out what product he was on.
N/A

Hang on a sec - so we are paying £22 per month MORE than a 'business' account for a lower graded account?!?!?!

I'm starting to feel like something very iffy is going on here...

If we were to 'upgrade' to the cheaper account would we get better traffic?
Neil_A
Grafter

Topic: What are the usage limits for Business type BB?

There are no fixed limits on our business accounts. Business traffic gets priority on our network. But that doesn't mean everything is guaranteed line speed 24 hours a day - these are relatively low cost broadband lines, not dedicated leased lines.

We don't expect business customers to be using P2P or Usenet to any great extent. Likewise if we see lots of overnight and evening usage we start to wonder if it's really being user for business purposes.

Of course there are lots of different reasons for using different applications at peak times. We had several customers using more than 1TB per month. One of these was a business customer doing a daily FTP backup of his database (a whole backup not an incremental one). After a perfectly reasonable phone call with the customer and his IT manager he's moved to weekly overnight incremental backups because of the impact he was having on our other customers (as a side note we've also saved him some money because he's was getting big bills from his hosting company). On the other hand we had another 'business' customer who was doing a similar amount and it looked like he was burning DVDs. So he got his MAC key and will have his account cancelled in 17 days time...

On any account we have there is a level where usage starts to skew the average usage and starts to impact other customers. And where it does we will manage those accounts so that they don't harm other customers usage. That means in extreme cases business accounts will get managed if usage on there is totally unreasonable.

If you definitely require a fixed allowance product we do a PAYG Small Business product which we can move you to if you wish.
N/A

It seems like I asked the wrong question as it looks like we have some combination of Business and Homeworker Pro. (Cost of one and features of the other perhaps...)

The account is used for business during the days and evenings and home use during evenings and weekends as I would imagine is fairly standard from this type of account.

We don't thrash P2P and we don't really touch usenet but we do use a stewady ammount of P2P traffic partly for private use, partly because some of the business software/information I work with gets distributed this way.

This is whay I am looking for an answer that contains a numerical guideline on peak usage - because we feel that we should be able to use our account at these timesd BUT we don't want to abuse the priority of a business packakge to harm other users.

We don't come near using 1TB even in our businest months including off peak times!! Nor do we DL and burn DVDs. We do however get some legal video files on a fairly regular basis plus versions of Linux (at several GB per DL) etc.

We don't even know from your comments whether our usage is high, low or somewhere in the middle.

You just sit there and make vague threats about MAC keys - but you will not give us the necessary information to avoid penalty until it is too late.

I guess now I am asking:

1/. What is a numerical guideline figure for expected peak usage on the type of account I have? You must base your reviews of an account on something!!

2/. Given what I have explained about our usage - is there a product we should be moving to to avoid causing issues?

3/. Exactly what product are we actually on as we seem to be paying more than the price of your Business account for what you describe as Home Worker which is advertised at a fraction of the rate we pay?
N/A

We don't expect business customers to be using P2P or Usenet to any great extent. Likewise if we see lots of overnight and evening usage we start to wonder if it's really being user for business purposes.

Is that because businesses only operate 9am-5pm? :roll:
N/A

Yep - they seem to forget that IT as a business is:

a/. Global, we have sites across the globe and different time zones have differing core hours.

and

b/. 24/7 - meaning most IT support that interferes with user expereince is done out of core hours during the evening and night of that time zone AND that we respond to issues at any time.

Therefore most of my support work is done 'out of hours' and will count against my peak time allowance.

Of course since they refuse to fill me in on what that might be I am unable to know what I am allowed to do with the 'Home' part of the account.