cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a pathetic excuse for a service Usenet is

N/A

25 minutes tonight to download a total of 30kb worth of messages. What a
crap state of affairs. How can this possibly be justified?

Mark
25 REPLIES
N/A

yep,

usenet is getting diabolical at the moment for downloading anything.

regards
mike
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi,

I know that F9 have said recently that they are undertaking major work on their usenet platform but I dont know if that is completed or what is/was involved.

Ivan
Ben_Brown
Grafter

As part of our network management we operate a queuing system to prioritise latency sensitive applications. Traffic is classed as either gold, silver or bronze with gold having the highest priority and bronze the lowest.

Gold traffic is HTTP, email, and PlusTalk, Bronze is Usenet and P2P, and Silver is everything else.

Currently we have not dropped any silveror gold traffic, and have dropped a bit of bronze traffic. The dropping of the bronze Usenet traffic is what is causing the slow speeds at the moment on Usenet.

We are making some changes to this to improve usenet, we have already moved traffic to text only services to the silver queue, and will also be moving binary traffic to our servers to the silver queue with a 15GB limit. We are also reducing the number of connections to 4.

Although there will be a limit and reduced connections, these connections will perform a lot better than the current ones and so people will get the 15GB pretty much at full speed.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Just to add to what Ben has said, the network guys are going to make a few changes tomorrow morning which should give a speed improvement on text groups for Broadband Plus customers. Let us know tomorrow evening if there's any improvement.
N/A

Here's hoping Dave. Fingers and toes crossed Wink

Mark
N/A

Hi,
i use a 3rd party company for my usenet (Giganews) and i have a premier account. How does this affect me? I have noticed that my transfer rates drop massively at around 8pm - 10 pm ish.
Supposedly this traffic (for my account) is only slighly shaped whatever that means.
N/A

Third party newsservers are restricted to bronze, unless they are text only and in the "approved" F9/ +Net list. This list is not official yet, but is made up of servers which have been verified as text only by F9 techies. Servers in this list have been upgraded to "silver" status apparently.

External binary newsservers will be subjected to a 15GB cap on downloads.

You can read more about this for your self at plusnet.service.customer-feedback, although you will have to use the F9 server (ha!!) as that is the only one this groups is carried on.

Regards

Mark
N/A

hi
sorry for sounding thick..

External binary newsservers will be subjected to a 15GB cap on downloads

how is this cap applied? and when.
My account allows 200gb / month.

or am i getting this mixed up with sometinhg else?
N/A

This is something which is highly contentious and is causing a lot of aggro with +Net users. There have been quite a few posts from CS stating the 15GB cap as part of their "measures to protect the network" policy. The original quote from dave was:

'The next thing we are looking at is the performance of external news
servers for our Premier customers, the proposal we are looking at is
including traffic to external binary news servers within the 15GB limit
that we are setting up for traffic to our news server. This would mean
that Premier customers would have 15GB per month of fast usenet at any
time of the day or night and to any usenet server and would change the
traffic queues to look like:

Gold - HTTP/HTTPS, SMTP, IMAP, POP3, PlusTalk
Silver - Gaming, VPN, network services, other VoIP services, external
text usenet servers, FTP, SSH, Instant Messaging, IRC, other
TCP/UDP/other traffic, 15GB of Usenet traffic to both our servers and
external usenet servers, P2P/Usenet for PAYG/Lite accounts
Bronze - P2P for all accounts bar PAYG/Lite, all binary usenet for
Broadband Plus'

They are using:

We manage our network using prioritisation techniques to ensure that
during busy periods time sensitive applications such as VoIP, email,
gaming and web browsing are given priority over bandwidth intensive,
non-time-sensitive applications such as Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing.
Traffic shaping is used to a greater or lesser extent on all our
Broadband Services.

Which in itself gives no indication of the capping, but....

Adding a Cap is one way of managing the network.

Although....

The 15GB cap on our news servers is still being finalised, as such
there are no details on the website.

There is plenty more on the newsgroup.

Regards

Mark
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It's looking like the 15GB limit on usenet won't include external binary servers. It's still being looked into, but it doesn't look like it's possible to monitor external binary traffic per customer so for the moment it will stay in the bronze queue, although other possibilities will be looked into.
N/A

Hi
are the queues in operation all the time or just at 'Peak' times?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The queues are there all the time, but only take effect when the network is busy, Generally this means that you'll only notice them at peak times, however if for example there was major terrorist attack and everyone was trying to get to various news sites all at once the queues would kick it regardless of what time of day or night it is.
N/A

What about external usenet providers that provide downloads over HTTP?
Is this also shaped? and how by Web (Gold) or Usenet (Bronze).

Until this traffic shaping started being applied I was getting 215kb/s now it more like 40kbs and thats with multiple conenctions during peak times.

My external usenet provider has good link and I get full speed from a freinds ADSL conenction so I know it isnt the newsserver and so must be my F9 connection.

I pay for my external usenet web based access top of my F9 account, and will be most upset if you are shaping this more than ordinary HTTP traffic.

Just out of curiosity, if this is intelligent shaping does it detect what file type are being sent over http (i.e. .ZIP, .JPG etc)? and does it detect the size of the file being transfered?

If so does it then prioritise HTTP based on these factors aswell? i.e making large zip files slower than small jpegs. :?:
N/A

for the past 3 weeks, I have seen a max of 10k/sec on usenet downloads. My neighbour, who is on a different isp, using my usenet account downloads at 230k/sec

This is a real pain in the neck - and he laughs in my face for having a "crap isp"