cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly reboots of modem

flyer99
Grafter

Weekly reboots of modem

I have been a plustnet customer for approx 16 months and during the first 12 months experienced no noticeable issues with my service. However recently it seems to be a weekly occurrence (usually on a Friday morning) that I have to reboot my modem to reconnect. I know this also coincides with plusnet carrying out maintenance, but why is now a weekly occurrence. On the whole though I have an excellent service, just want a speed increase upwards of 2MB
LOL Nick
2MB premier account
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Weekly reboots of modem

What type of modem/router are you using?

It may well be a problem with your modem rather then Plus.Net or your connection.
Most routers will reconnect automatically should the ADSL connection drop, but in your case this could be causing the router lock up.

Check out the forums on http://www.expansys.com/forumoverview.asp to see if other users are having similar problems.

Chilly
flyer99
Grafter

Weekly reboots of modem

Its a plusnet supplied router (Binatone) and there is nothing wrong with it. This always happens when plusnet are carrying maintenance tasks.The connection to the exchange is not lost just the login. see below

Service: ADSL Dial
Posted: Fri, Jul 29 2005 at 06:31:56
Subject: ADSL Platform Maintenance - Friday 29th July 4:00am to 7:00am

The upgrade to the software on three of our Juniper ERX routers to fix a few known bugs has been completed successfully.

Customers whose sessions were lost should have been able to reconnect after rebooting their equipment.

The round robin system employed by BT will see all users back on the ADSL platform within around 15 minutes.

Around 60% of our userbase will have their sessions reset. The ADSL platform is now accepting connections at the normal rate and customers should be able to connect successfully.
N/A

Weekly reboots of modem

Hi Nick, you are not alone. I have three clients on PlusNet business packages who are running Solwise SAR 715 Routers. 95% of whenever PlusNet do their Friday morning maintenance these routers have to be manually rebooted. This is the only time they ever need rebooting.

All the routers are on the latest firmware but unfortunately the support from Solwise for these products is no longer there as they are long discontinued products. The answer will be to invest in three new routers, which is the cheap part, but installing them at the three sites will be a bit more expensive.

Other clients also on PlusNet never experience these problems and are mainly using Netgear, cheap and cheerful, ADSL routers.

Hope this helps.

Julian
flyer99
Grafter

Weekly reboots of modem

I don’t think buying new routers would necessarily resolve the problem.
I believe the problem lies with plusnet and the ever increasing maintenance slots. Why do we now have so many? Is plusnets network becoming unstable?
I work for a large worldwide company with a large complex network and we don’t require weekly yet alone monthly outages.
N/A

Weekly reboots of modem

I have to agree with Nick, here, because there does seem to have been alot more outages than normal recently, and just a few minutes ago i had to power off my Binatone Router, also Plusnet supplied, had i known at the time it was going to be like this, if it is indeed the routers fault, I would have gone for a slightly more expensive one from elsewhere
N/A

I agree

Hi

I do have to agree with whats being said about PlusNet doing a few too many disconnections. I have had to reboot my router twice in the last two days, usually first thing in the moring. Mine is the router supplied by Plusnet, Had I known this would be an issue with cheap routers I would have not had them supply one and brought a netgear one for the same price (as I get all my referals to do)

But my question is, would a netgear router not require a reboot to reconnect if the service is stopped?

My solwise router reports it is conencted, but my computer does not see the internet, until I reboot the router

Any info....?

Tris
Spuddy
Grafter

Weekly reboots of modem

I have to reboot my modem (eTec 4 port modem/router) almost every morning. It is always still synced but the login is lost so no wan IP is showing.
I have been thinking that it is a problem with my modem so was contemplating getting a new one.
Could it be that this is not the case then?
Community Veteran

Weekly reboots of modem

lesurf
If your router running hot? It could be that it is overheating, try running it sans covers, see if it’s any more stable. (Only if it is out of warranty, as removing the covers will invalidate the warranty.) I have a friend who has to run his Belkin router without it covers, for this very reason.

nickfoster
It does sound like there are two problems here;

1) Your router should not lock up on loss of connection, it should reconnect automatically.

2) Plus.Net are a little trigger happy, with disconnecting people to load balance their network, but then is that better then being sat on an overloaded pipe, just because, some customers routers are flaky?
Most other ISP’s would just let the customers sit on the overloaded pipe until it naturally rebalanced.

Also marketing are not without blame for selling ADSL as a permanent always on connection, when it can be subject to occasional disconnection.

Chilly
N/A

Suspect Speedtouch Modems

I use a Speedtouch modem and never on booting up my computer do I get the the PlusNet Homepage; I get page unavailable. Then hitting the the Homepage button gets me to the portal with no problem. A friend of mine had this same problem, but because he needed a network in his house, he had a router installed.

Since then his problem has vanished. Is this a problem with the PlusNet supplied Modem?
Spuddy
Grafter

Weekly reboots of modem

@ chillypenguin

The router does run hot; always has done.
It's unusual that all other aspects of the device are fine: DHCP is still issued to connected machines, admin pages are still accessible and all connected devices can still communicate with each other. The only thing that stops working is the internet access and the WAN IP disappears.
I'll try putting a fan on it as a bit of forced airflow and see if it makes a difference.

BR
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Weekly reboots of modem

Hi,

I've seen this sort of thing quite often over the years. Essentially what it looks liek happens is that the connection is dropped but the router doesn't realise the connection has dropped and so doesn't try and reconnect. Rebooting will make it try and reconnect, hence why it works.

There various different things you can look at, such as ensuring that the router is set to reconnect if the connection drops, or seeing if there's an updated version of the firmware.

theblisses - are you using the frog? If so have you got the homepage set in the frog's connection software? I'm just wondering if it's trying to open your homepage just a second or two before the connection is complete.
Community Veteran

Weekly reboots of modem

Anyone interest in seeing inside a SoHo router take a look at this page http://www.sonicbrew.net/604+/inside/

lesurf
As the ADSL modem is a separate chip (Item 5 on the web page) then that could be causing the problem.
I would give it a week with the fan (or open case), if it is still locking up then put up with it or replace.
If the problems goes away, then try moving the router to a cooler place, or add additional ventilation to the case. It may even be necessary to fit a small fan.

Chilly