Did you mean: 

Webspace

N/A

Webspace

How do I remove my webspace?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Webspace

I'm not sure just what you mean by that.
Can you be a bit more specific in what you are wanting to do?Huh
vic_newey
Grafter

Webspace

define 'remove my webspace ' do you mean remove your website ?
retep
Grafter

Webspace

If you want to just clear out whats in you web space use any FTP package to go in and delete the files and directories in the htdocs directory

To Set-up a FTP use

FTP Server: ftp.plus.net
User Name: nullboy
Password: your usual password
FTP Port: 21

Heres plus nets ftp help page

http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/uploading_files.shtml?link=supfeature_webspace1
N/A

Webspace

The only one you can't remove is a .htaccess file.
I had to ask PN to do that, it is hidden by ftp programs.
Anyone know how to do that without asking PNHuh?

I couldn't delete a subfolder because I [accidentally] uploaded a .htaccess file.
csogilvie
Grafter

Webspace

Some FTP clients enable you to view 'hidden' files, but it would depend on your client.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Webspace

Hi,

For getting rid of .htaccess files I find the easiest way is to use the command line to FTP to the server and then just delete/rename the files.
N/A

Webspace

Hi,

For getting rid of .htaccess files I find the easiest way is to use the command line to FTP to the server

English, Spanish or Catalan please, then I'll understand.

Thanks for the help but what is 'command line to FTP to the server. I use cute ftp 7 Professional.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Webspace

I think the key part of the phrase is 'THE command line'. Dave is just pointing out that the easiest way to remove .htaccess files is to use a non graphical ftp client. For windows 2000/XP this can be done by going to Start->Run, then entering cmd. This starts up the windows Command line interface. From here, type
ftp ftp.plus.net
and press enter.
Enter your username and password when prompted, and you will be connected to ftp interface of your webspace.
Now type
cd htdocs
so that you are in the root of your webspace.
To delete a .htaccess file, simply type
delete .htaccess
and thats it, it's gone. Type quit to end the ftp session, then type exit to end the command line interface.

In this day and age using a command line like this does seem a little out of date, but there are advantages. Many ftp clients, with pretty windows and drag and drop functionality and all that, such as CuteFTP and WS_FTP don't by default show .htaccess files in the directory list, they are hidden. So to delete the files, you first have to get it to show up in the list so that you can select it and then hit the delete button.
However, to delete it from a command line ftp client, you only have to know that it is there.

Hope that makes sense.