Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website Archived

xblade
Grafter

Website Archived

It seems I have now been the latest person to have been hit with this problem

Last night my webspace showed I had only used 49mb, then at 4.45am, it suddenly went over the 250mb limit - even though computer was off and no-one else has access to my account

It was then archived, but the webspace usage still showed 49mb at 11am

CS were very unhelpful on the phone and I am still awaiting a response after raising a ticket this morning

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions

Thanks
Simon

PAYGO Customer
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Website Archived

There appears to be some confusion here regarding webspace, traffic limits and your ADSL connection. All three of them are completely separate and unrelated.

You have a webspace allowance on your account of 250MBytes - this is your 49MByte figure.
You have a daily traffic allowance (people visiting and downloading files from your webspace) of 250MBytes/day.
You have a usage allowance on your ADSL line.

This appears to be a problem with exceeding the daily trraffic allowance to your webspace which has exceeded the 250Mbytes/day limit and, as as a result your website has been archived.

It has nothing to do with your website usage or your ADSL connection so your PC being off has no effect on this problem.

You need to find out what on your website is causing you to go over your 250Mbyte/day traffic allowance. Do you have any large pictures, any large files that people (including you) may have downloaded, any videos etc?

To get your website back you need to state you will investigate what is causing the excessive traffic on your site and will take steps to stop it happening again. Only then with PN put your website back. To do this I suggest you enable the webstats (via website settings) and this can then give you an idea what the problem files are. Also look to see if there are any files you could reduce in size - often people use full size hi res graphics on their site which with a number of free graphics tools, can be reduced in size quite a bit.
xblade
Grafter

Website Archived

Thanks Peter

Have had a look at my website stats, but unable to see any significant problem i.e. no unusal difference or higher than normal download

Will get a friend to have a look for me

Just a shame CS were not a little more helpful or informative this morning

Thanks again

Simon
N/A

Website Archived

maybe you have some dodgy software / MP3's / video's / etc.. that people have been downloading
xblade
Grafter

Website Archived

It seems that the video files (2), that I uploaded onto my site were in demand and used up the bandwidth.

I was unaware of the bandwidth issue; or did not understand it properly, so this has caused a problem

Plusnet CS seem to be very unhelpful though, as I cannot remedy the issue i.e. remove the files, until they reinstate the website.

It will mean also that I will look at alternative arrangements for hosting of my site (Fasthost).

Thanks
Simon
Community Veteran

Website Archived

Just state in your open ticket you have identified the cause of the excessive bandwidth and will take steps to rectify it once the site has been put back.